| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:46 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Aliks wrote:
ijustdied-I'm interested in going back to school to be a dietician or nutritionist involved with diabetes when my youngest goes to school full time. I have no clue how to go about it but I've got 5 years till then!

cool! i know that university of oregon in corvallis has a nutrition program! you can get either a masters or a bachelors degree and still become an RD, so it may not be too hard to do! the only thing is, if you don't have a science background there are kind of a lot of prerequisites, but you can take many of them online and you've got 5 years to do it, so it might be a good idea to start looking into what programs you'd like to go into and get those prerequisites out of the way one class at a time so it won't seem so daunting!

if you ever have any questions i'm happy to answer them.

thanx! I dropped out of college my junior year (stupid) but I was going for a BA in theatre, oh how life changes-I went to SOU but we can't move so I'd have to see what they have there. I just want to do something with all the crepe that has happened, many have suggested I would be great at that since I'm passionate about health and nutrition. For awhile I was a store manager of a GNC and made tons of money, it's tempting to go back to that but it wouldn't feel like I'm making that much of a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:44 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Type 1s, are you taking a statin? Or have you considered taking one?

This is on my mind because I'm doing a cholesterol test for my next endo appointment. And taking a statin comes up every year even though my cholesterol levels are either pretty good or great. I always say, no, because I don't think the non-cholesterol benefits are worth the potential side effects. And there isn't any information yet on long-term use. And there aren't any good risk models yet for heart disease in type 1 diabetics. And diabetes is my only risk factor.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:10 pm 
Grandfathered In

I don't take a statin. I would consider it. And... I know nothing about them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:24 pm 

I made myself a pro/con list, and the only thing on the pro side was that, beyond lowering cholesterol, statins may reduce the risk of heart disease for unknown reasons. The con side was much longer. I'm confident that for me that a statin isn't worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:56 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

So.. Diabetes people... My housemate apparently has some kind of diabetes. He just had a hypoglycemic seizure and we had to call an ambulance, this isn't the first time it has happened. I'm just wondering what he should have told us (he never talks about it). I have some medical knowledge (nursing student) but to be honest we struggled to find a phone to call emergency services on. The ambulance team keeps telling him he needs to sort out stuff with his doctor but he doesn't seem to take it seriously. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:28 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yikes, caterpillar! that's really scary. I'm guessing if he doesn't have stuff well sorted with his doctor he's probably type 2 just because if he wasn't on regular insulin and stuff and he had type 1 he'd probably be a lot worse off. maybe he has meds, but isn't really keeping track of his blood glucose very well. is he in the hospital now? or still at home. he should really keep glucagon on hand if this happens sometimes and you should know where it is and how to administer it. he should also be able to let you know when he's feeling low so you can help him get some food or glucose tablets. i dont really know how common having extreme hypoglycemia is with type 2, it just seems like he'd be having even more problems if he had type 1? i dunno though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:27 am 

I'm trying to remember but I had a friend with type 2 and she went low from oral meds-she wasn't eating that much trying to lose weight but still taking the dose her doctor prescribed. Diabetes is a crazy disease where it's pretty much up to the person living with it (or parent like me) to take care of things and there's a lot of times where the drugs that keep the person alive can also kill them.
Our kid can alert us a lot of the time that he's feeling low, but sometimes he doesn't realize it but we'll notice him acting strange, uncoordinated, and he gets dark circles under his eyes. So maybe look out for that behavior and keep fast acting carbs-like juice and candy like skittles or smarties-nothing with fat in it-around.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:00 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm Type II. Hi, all you Type I folks out there!

Would you mind if I hang out and post here with you? I'm kinda lonely...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:23 pm 
Grandfathered In

caterpillar wrote:
So.. Diabetes people... My housemate apparently has some kind of diabetes. He just had a hypoglycemic seizure and we had to call an ambulance, this isn't the first time it has happened. I'm just wondering what he should have told us (he never talks about it). I have some medical knowledge (nursing student) but to be honest we struggled to find a phone to call emergency services on. The ambulance team keeps telling him he needs to sort out stuff with his doctor but he doesn't seem to take it seriously. Any suggestions?

He needs to have a glucagon emergency kit! This is something other people administer if he passes out due to extremely low blood sugar.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:06 pm 

He could have type 1, too. I know some secretive type 1s. You'd have to ask.

I think calling the ambulance was exactly the right thing to do. Giving a glucagon shot isn't always the best thing to do (though it sounds like it was in this case). There's not a whole lot you can do for your housemate, caterpillar, unless he wants to be open about things. I would tell him how scary it was and that you'd really like to know more about his diabetes. Emphasize that it's affecting you.

I would ask to learn how to test his blood sugar and where he keeps his monitor. Talk about what the numbers mean. And then agree on a place to keep a glucagon kit and maybe a tube of frosting since that's less stressful on the body and doesn't require any chewing. And read through the instructions on the glucagon kit a few times since they're pretty complicated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:52 pm 

if he has any expired glucagon kits you can practice mixing-I donated a bunch to our school nurse so she could go over it with the teachers and principal. Now that I think of it I did know a secretive type 1 before I even had my son-he passed out in the storage room at work and no one knew why. He was a new hire and was afraid of the managers finding out and not keeping him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:05 pm 

I hope bragging is allowed in here. Because I just got back from the eye doctor, and, after a quarter century of diabetes, she said my eyes look "pristine". Take that, pancreas!

Post subject: Type 1 Diabetic and vegetarian?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:32 am 
Tofu Pup

My boyfriend has type 1 diabetes, in his youth pizza and pasta didn't give him as much trouble as they do now. All those tasty carbohydrates just send his blood sugar way up and he has had a difficult time controlling his numbers, are there ways he can still maintain a vegetarian or vegan diet minus so many carbs? Are there veggie/diabetic cookbooks out there? I have had a terrible time trying to measure pasta to get a better understanding of how many carbohydrates are being prepared...I need suggestions and advice.

Post subject: Re: Type 1 Diabetic and vegetarian?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:44 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

We have a few people with T1DM on the boards who have been vegan for a long time and I'm sure they will chime in. Has he talked to his doctor about how he is having trouble controlling his glucose? Maybe his insulin to carbohydrate ratio has changed, so he'll need a different dose of insulin to cover the same amount of carbs.

To answer your question, yes, it is definitely possible to be vegan without a lot of bread, pasta, pizza and things! salads, roasted vegetables and tofu are a few options. As for measuring pasta, if you get a scale you should be able to measure out the amount you need. I know pasta boxes usually give the serving size in ounces, so if the serving size on the box is two ounces and you make 4 oz for the two of you, you can just split that right in half when you serve it.

anwyay, some of our other more experience ppkers will be able to help you more. good luck with everything!

Post subject: Re: Type 1 Diabetic and vegetarian?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:18 am 
Cranky

I'm going to merge this with the Type 1 diabetes thread.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:48 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks! I have been vegan for 2 years now and he has been eating pretty much what I make and I really try to make things that aren't too carb-y. His insulin dosage has been modified several times by his endocrinologist but he still seems to be having difficulties with maintaining blood sugar levels. We are in the process of finding a new Dr.

I wondered too, that with his diet changing from non-vegan to vegan, if this has caused the glucose/insulin ratios to change? Or if that is a natural happening? (I have a lot to learn about diabetes, I take my pancreas for granted)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:40 pm 

Some type 1s need to keep their carbohydrate levels below a certain amount to keep their blood sugars from spiking. For me, it's 30g at breakfast and 60g at lunch and dinner (not counting fiber). I do eat more than that occasionally, but I get the best control when I stay below those amounts. The best way to find out the sweet spot is just to test before and after meals until you find out what works. It's probably worth it to check out his basal insulin levels too to make sure that's not part of the problem.

A lot of people have problems with pizza. I think it's easy to underestimate how much pizza you're eating, for one thing. Two pieces of a 12-inch pizza take up almost all of my carbs for dinner, and all of them if there's vegan cheese on it. Two pieces of pizza aren't that much food.

There are a few low-carb or diabetes vegan or vegetarian cookbooks, though I don't really like any of them. Most of them are oriented for type 2 diabetes. But there's Carb Conscious Vegetarian, 30 Day Diabetes Miracle Cookbook (crappy name), Get Healthy, Go Vegan, and Dr. Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes, which has recipes in the back.

I would recommend using a food scale and measuring cups for a bit to make sure you're counting the carbs accurately, and increase the amount of non-starchy vegetables you eat when you have something like pasta or pizza as the centerpiece for dinner. When I eat pasta, I stick to one cup, eat a cup of tomato sauce on it, sometimes sausage or seitan, and lots and lots of broccoli, salad, kale, or green beans on the side. I would also look for meals that use beans, non-starchy vegetables, tofu, tempeh, and seitan as the centerpiece instead of pasta or rice. When you do have grains with a meal, make sure they're outnumbered by non-starchy vegetables and beans.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:45 pm 

Also, he might want to consider symlin, which helps lower after-meal blood sugars. I haven't used it, but a friend of mine swears by it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

Awesome, thank you for all your advice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:35 pm 
Grandfathered In

I think I am of no help to anyone. I've had Type 1 for 18+ years, but I've never measured, weighed, or tracked carbs. My control has worsened over the years, but I don't think that's due to carbs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:31 pm 

Forgive a stupid question, but how do you decide what to eat, FF?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:26 pm 
Grandfathered In

I just... eat. I try to eat about the same amount for every lunch, every supper, etc. I take extra Humalog (from a half-unit to a couple units), if I'm higher than I should be, or if I'll be eating noticeably more, or if what I'm eating is extra simple carby.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:15 pm 

OK. So you are estimating, just in a very loose way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:43 pm 

we call that guestimating! My guy is little so we count every carb using carb factors and a digital scale but we guestimate if we're at a restaurant. For pizza/pasta-use less fat since that will spike it up later and we use whole wheat pasta. We also limit it to a reasonable portion, it'll get rough if he wants half a pizza. If it's something new we're trying out, we'll do that for lunch so if we eff it up royally we have the rest of the day to fix it so I won't be up all night testing and sticking needles in him when he's trying to sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:29 pm 

Just got back from the endo's office where I noticed an illustrated "General Guidelines for Plant-Based Nutrition" poster on the nurse's work station.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next