| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wheeee kickboxing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:47 pm 
Inflexitarian

Is there anybody else who just loves kickboxing, even if they suck at sports?

Nothing better in the world to me to get out my aggression and know I could take on somebody if I had to.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

Post subject: Re: Wheeee kickboxing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't kickbox, but I box. It's a great workout!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:45 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This was my sport as a totally un-sporty teenager. I went to this awesome boxing/kickboxing gym in an old warehouse and I was always the only girl and got to spar with scary, like, 35-year old dudes. I miss it! It's a really satisfying workout.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I did it for a while but I learned that for me the best thing was to bring a girl friend along to spar against- we would just hit eachother's gloves. My first time I went alone and got paired off randomly with this girl who kept punching me in the face. I wasn't interested in fighting, I just wanted the workout. And it was a fantastic workout.

Also I got athlete's foot cause we had to go barefoot...I wonder if there's a way to avoid that. I wouldn't mind doing it again.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Quarantined wrote:
I did it for a while but I learned that for me the best thing was to bring a girl friend along to spar against- we would just hit eachother's gloves. My first time I went alone and got paired off randomly with this girl who kept punching me in the face. I wasn't interested in fighting, I just wanted the workout. And it was a fantastic workout.

Also I got athlete's foot cause we had to go barefoot...I wonder if there's a way to avoid that. I wouldn't mind doing it again.

What kind of gym was this? No proper gym should start beginners off with sparring! That's what focus mitts and bags are for. I train in boxing shoes. Adidas and Title both make some synthetic ones. The best part about not going barefoot is not ending up with welts from hitting yourself with the jump rope.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mel c wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

What kind of gym was this? No proper gym should start beginners off with sparring! That's what focus mitts and bags are for. I train in boxing shoes. Adidas and Title both make some synthetic ones. The best part about not going barefoot is not ending up with welts from hitting yourself with the jump rope.

hmmm, it was just this regular gym that offered a kickboxing class, girls and guys together, in the basement. I don't think they did regular boxing there at all so maybe that's why they were so weird about stuff? Now that I think about it that does seem sort of shady. I would like to try again in a better environment, and with shoes.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:37 am 
Inflexitarian

Quarantined wrote:
mel c wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

hmmm, it was just this regular gym that offered a kickboxing class, girls and guys together, in the basement. I don't think they did regular boxing there at all so maybe that's why they were so weird about stuff? Now that I think about it that does seem sort of shady. I would like to try again in a better environment, and with shoes.

Oie! Might want to try a women's gym and google some reviews; look around, get a free day pass. I actually worked in a women's gym daycare in exchange for free membership; and I know it was *required* to wipe everything down after use and shoes at all times. (flip flops/shower shoes were strongly suggested in the locker room) I can't remember what shoes I used though; and at the time I wasn't vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:16 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Barefoot training is common in boxing gyms and especially in kickboxing gyms, because kickboxing fights happen barefoot. We aren't even allowed to wear street or gym shoes that have been outside on the training mats. But the floors should still be cleaned regularly. Athlete's foot is no fun!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:22 am 
Inflexitarian

mel c wrote:
Barefoot training is common in boxing gyms and especially in kickboxing gyms, because kickboxing fights happen barefoot. We aren't even allowed to wear street or gym shoes that have been outside on the training mats. But the floors should still be cleaned regularly. Athlete's foot is no fun!

Interesting, thank you for letting me know. (I honestly didn't know, it wasn't allowed in the gym I worked at)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yeah my gym now has a Billy Blanks style aerobic "kickboxing" class which is fun but not real kickboxing of course. I'll have to look around and see if there's anything good I could go to separately.

The thing is, I'm not sure I'd ever be any good at sparring if it came to that. When I look in someone's face I have a really hard time dealing with me punching them or getting punched.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I love it! I have been doing Thaiboxing for just over 2 years now and can't stop. I've had one fight and am currently planning on another 2 or 3 this year with a a go at a title next year. Also hitting Thailand for a training camp early next year.

I'm lucky enough to have trained at gyms (just transitioning to a new one, they made me an offer I can't refuse ;) ) that don't treat me like a girl, I get punched, kicked and kneed just as hard as the boys and I think it has made me a stronger fighter, also kept me very conditioned, I love knowing that I can take a bit of punishment. I think there's something so empowering about being able to fight, and the level of fitness demanded for competition is just incrediable, I love being so strong, toned and fit, something to be said for training 4 hours a day, 6 days a week leading up to a fight. I can't get enough!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:18 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Rather than start a new thread, I'm picking up on an old one!

I got a groupon thingy to go to 10 kickboxing classes at a gym near me. It's supposedly a good one (my roommate does jiu jitsu and has heard of it since they do MMA too). I wanted something more cardio to mix in with rock climbing and this is a good (aka cheap) way to see if it works for me!

My main question is, what do I wear?? I have running clothes (tanks and shorts) and rock climbing clothes (thicker pants, t-shirt or tank). I feel like something in between is probably more "correct", but will I be totally out of place if I wear some of my less skimpy running clothes? I'll take tennis shoes, but figure that it will be barefoot.

I'm not too worried about figuring the rest out when I get there, but I'd like to not look like a total idiot wearing the complete wrong thing when I show up!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Wear something that won't restrict your movement. Short jogging-ish shorts or leggings seem to be popular. I find tank tops to be the most comfortable (both the 6-pack undershirt kind or fancier workout material). I hate doing any sort of workout in a regular t-shirt; they just seem heavy and make me too hot. But they're pretty common at the gym, so it could just be that I'm weird.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:17 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

mel c wrote:
Wear something that won't restrict your movement. Short jogging-ish shorts or leggings seem to be popular. I find tank tops to be the most comfortable (both the 6-pack undershirt kind or fancier workout material). I hate doing any sort of workout in a regular t-shirt; they just seem heavy and make me too hot. But they're pretty common at the gym, so it could just be that I'm weird.

Thanks! I'll wear a tank and shorts. My roommate was trying to talk me into buying all sorts of fancy clothes until I pointed out to him that I'm only signed up for 10 classes and if I decide to do more after that, I can invest in the finery at that time.

I'm determined to try my first class tomorrow. My mood has been down lately and I'm hoping that a more aggressive/intense workout than climbing will help. Of course, I might be totally sore from kickboxing when I go climbing on Sunday, but I'll do an easy climbing day since I'm going with a newbie.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I finally made it today! It was fun! I wore my running shorts and tank and am glad I didn't wear more cuz I was hot enough in that. Most of the women wore capri-length workout pants, but there were a few others there in shorts, so I wasn't out of place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yes, omg love it so much. That and yoga are really the only two things I'm in to.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Holy hell! Class started last week but i made it to my first class yesterday. My back/arms/legs hurt so much. It's a....good?...hurt though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:00 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Nice! I was sore for a couple of days. I need to get back for a second class... I'm aiming for Saturday morning at this point!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm really getting into this class! It's so much fun :)

I noticed my kickboxing instructor does really fast jabs while everyone in the class (including me!) is pretty slow throwing punches. Is this something that comes with time as you develop more muscle? Should I be aiming to do fast jabs? Also, do you guys bounce when you're punching? I feel like I'd get a better workout that way but I don't know if it's proper form. Plus it makes my ankles tired.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:17 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yeah, you generally wanna be fast cause the idea is that someone is going to hit you back if you don't get your guard back up after striking. Are you doing a fitness or technique class? You're instructor will probably spend a few classes on each punch. You shouldn't be bouncing, your feet should never leave the ground while throwing a punch, but your lead lead should slide when you throw your jab, and concentrate on putting shoulder into it. To get it fast, think about snapping back to guard quickly, rather than pushing it out.

This is a good example of footwork and stance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks, Bai, for the info and link! It's more of a fitness class so we don't get much guidance on technique. I'm interested in both, though. It feels great to really put my shoulder into the jabs, like I'm actually doing something. Same with the kicks. I'll work on the snap back!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:46 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

No worries :) Absolutely, same principle with kicks! If you pivot on your lead foot, throw your hip into it and make sure you're turning the same shoulder to your opponent as you your kick while staying upright, you'll be throwing tonnes more power into it. When punching, kicking and kneeing, always think about going through your target, that way you'll ensure you commit to the strike :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:57 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I went to the one class, forever ago! I brought my stuff to work so hopefully I can get off early enough tonight to go to kickboxing tonight! My goal of once a week is hard to keep because I rock climb a few times a week and work late a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:30 am 
Tofu Pup

I do love Carle Place Kickboxing classes. Definitely recommendable.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:35 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Sorry for reviving such an old thread! I was thinking of taking a kickboxing class that is regularly offered at my gym every Tuesday night.

It's described as follows: "An aerobic workout that teaches basic kickboxing skills choreographed to energizing music. Be prepared to have fun and work hard!"

I am an absolute scaredy cat when it comes to taking classes (afraid I will look foolish, not fit in, pass out, etc.) and this is not a reflection on the gym atmosphere. It's really just me, all in my head. People are nice enough.

Can you guys tell me what one can expect in such a class? I can't jump rope if my life depended on it. Is that part of it?

P.S. should I just go to the gym and watch some of the class without participating? Would that look creepy?