| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Candle 79
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:38 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

You're right. I kind of decided on that, since it was my #1 choice. Unless that's what my boyfriend gets...then I'll get something different and try his.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:22 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

the hummus paltter is AMAZING.with a HUGE bulb of roasted garlic.
also,most of the salads are amazing,too.for lunch...i dunno,i've been for brunch 3 times though which is amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:06 am 

Ok, so we went to Candle 79. The food was absolutely out of this world amazing. I will be posting pics later.

We started with the nachos. We were kind of hoping for $16 that we'd get more than like 8 tortilla chips..I'm not even kidding! They were super good, though...with seitan, caramelized onions, cheese, guac, tofu sour cream... yum yum yum.

I had the bbq seitan sandwich with polenta fries and chipotle ketchup. Words cannot describe this sandwich. My boyfriend had the burrito. Both were just amazing. For dessert, we had cannolis.

However, our waiter was kind of rude! I expected SO much more. For three people, our bill was over $200 and we tipped accordingly, but I don't think he deserved it. He was adequate I guess...coming by and making sure we were taken care of, but definitely not warm or pleasant. When my boyfriend asked him for a bottle of wine, he looked really bothered because we interrupted him when he was talking to the hostess (I actually saw him raise his eyebrow as he walked away). Then when he came back to the table with the wine, I explained to him that I was sorry if we came off as rude when we called him to ask for the wine, but we were just trying to get his attention. His response? "Oh. Ok." He said it very flatly, and then he walked away! Dude, I am apologizing to you for asking you to get us a bottle of wine which is going to be added to our bill which = a bigger tip for you, and your response is "Oh. Ok." ??

He just didn't seem like he really wanted to be there, and he seemed annoyed with us.

So, while the food was absolutely amazing, I don't think I'll be going back there due to the unfriendly service! Maybe he was just having a bad day, or we just happened to get the most unfriendly waiter there...I'm not sure, but I am inclined to believe so since no one else has said anything but great things about this place!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:19 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I've had both wonderful and really crappy service at Candle 79 before. The times when it was shitty I was really bummed out and I didn't go back for a year, but the times when it was great were really awesome! At least you can always count on the food being good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:38 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I have the opposite experience with the service, it's a little too nice and professional and it makes me feel too fancy. If you had a bad experience I think it would be worth it to say something to the management, maybe just contact them on FB, or give them a call and find out the best way to email them about it. But don't deprive yourself cause of one bad seed! Although I understand the sentiment.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:57 pm 

yeah, I think I'm gonna contact management and just let them know that we were impressed with the food but underwhelmed with the service. I keep thinking maybe he was just having a bad day, and when my boyfriend called out "excuse me, can we get a bottle of this?" it was possibly too loud or embarrassing or came off as not very tactful. I realize waiters are people too and if he was having a bad day, maybe that was the tip of the iceberg. Still not an excuse for poor service, but I really want to love this place so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I have been daydreaming about those polenta fries all day! And ohh, those cannolis!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:17 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

i'm with isa on this one. the service can be overwhelming. the only bad service issue i've ever had is when my table didn't get our drinks for like a million years, but then the manager comped them anyway and was super apologetic.

agreed that calling and speaking to management about it is the way to go. they strike me as the kind of place that takes both compliments and criticism to heart. but yeah, please don't not go back because of that one crummy experience! chances are next time you'll have a completely different experience. plus, there are so many awesome things on the menu that you haven't tried. seitan chimichurri! piccata! mushroom trio!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:41 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

once i was there and the really super peppy waitress saw me taking a picture of what i ordered and then prompted an unnecessary 20 minute long conversation about food blogs.
then i got to overhear the same waitress telling the next table of two middle aged men who asked "how often do you eat the great food here?how do you have such a perfect body?" all about her diet and workout regime.
so i agree it probably goes various ways.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:16 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I got a giftcard for here from my mom in the mail today and made a dinner reservation for Monday. I'm excited!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:16 pm 

Someone needs to talk about the cocktails because they all sound overly awesome and I'm going to be unable to choose if I wait until I'm there. PPK, pick booze for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:21 am 
Huffs Nooch

Sarah wrote:
Someone needs to talk about the cocktails because they all sound overly awesome and I'm going to be unable to choose if I wait until I'm there. PPK, pick booze for me.

Ginger beer with a shot of whisky!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:37 pm 

My dinner was pretty damn awesome. Also, I sat right next to Terry, but I'm shy and didn't want to disturb her and her man friend, so I didn't say hello. I fail.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Sarah wrote:
My dinner was pretty damn awesome. Also, I sat right next to Terry, but I'm shy and didn't want to disturb her and her man friend, so I didn't say hello. I fail.

Oh, hi! We went there on a serious lark, calling that day thinking there was no way we would get in on V-day. But 5pm reserves did just that.

You then witnessed our 2 dessert freak out. Chocolate fondue and homemade ice creams, so worth it.