| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: i don't understand fingerless gloves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:29 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Another reason I like fingerless gloves: I have really short fingers, so the tips are usually empty flaps like resevoir tips on a condom. So I get even less dexterity with gloves on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:11 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Yup, I like them for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else. Back when I was in high school, my school was really poorly heated in the winter. I wore fingerless gloves all the time so that I could keep warm but also have my fingers free to write and turn pages and do other school-y activities. I also like to wear them outside in the fall when it's a bit chilly but not cold enough for full gloves.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I now understand the fingerless glove/mitten combo, and have decided it is what I need. Last year I was wearing two pairs of gloves, including a really pricey pair of ski gloves, and my fingers were still freezing. I almost considering getting some of those heat packs that glacier climbers/winter hikers use!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:56 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Fee wrote:
Huh, I just carry around a sausage to keep my hands warm.

I just use my hands to keep my sausage warm.

.....sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:27 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Sometimes letter carriers wear fingerless gloves while they are fingering the mail. Sometimes the fingers of their gloves wear out and there are holes in their gloves.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i have an iphone, so i like my fingerless gloves for those days when i'm with public transport or something like that.. then i usually keep my hands in my pockets most of the time, but i can still write texts etc.
they're also pretty neat when you're a smoker.
obviously they're not super awesome when you bike, but then i usually wear my fingerless gloves under a pair of mittens or regular gloves, and then my fingers don't get completely frozen when i have to pick up the phone while outside.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:32 pm 
Chard Martyr

I found these gloves that have little touch things on the finger so you can still use your touch screen devices... they look funky; I'll stick with fingerless gloves.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

designedtobekind wrote:
I now understand the fingerless glove/mitten combo, and have decided it is what I need. Last year I was wearing two pairs of gloves, including a really pricey pair of ski gloves, and my fingers were still freezing. I almost considering getting some of those heat packs that glacier climbers/winter hikers use!

My mother is insanely sensitive to cold and last Christmas, she got a pair of fingerless/mitts combo that is apparently used by the Russian army. The mitt part comes with a pocket where you can put a heat pack. They are fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:23 pm 
Chip Strong

aelle wrote:
I like fingerless gloves. You can keep them on to count your change or take notes, or use your Iphone. Fun fact about Korea: it gets too cold for fingerless gloves, so in the winter people carry around sausages to use their tactile screens. True story.

Until I read the other posts, I thought you meant that people poked their screens with sausages instead of their fingers. Doh.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:39 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Rubella wrote:
aelle wrote:
I like fingerless gloves. You can keep them on to count your change or take notes, or use your Iphone. Fun fact about Korea: it gets too cold for fingerless gloves, so in the winter people carry around sausages to use their tactile screens. True story.

Until I read the other posts, I thought you meant that people poked their screens with sausages instead of their fingers. Doh.

They do!
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/south-korean-iphone-users-turn-to-sausages-as-a-cold-weather-me/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:57 pm 

I can't stand having my fingers totally covered...unless in the snow! So I love fingerless gloves and armwarmers!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

hoveringdog wrote:
A bit of a tangent, but my grandma once told me this cute story about how they used to carry baked potatoes in their hands as they walked to school in the snow. They'd hold the potatoes to keep their hands warm and nibble on them as they walked. Breakfast and handwarmers!

The Ingalls family did this! So of course I wanted to too. (I wanted to live in the big woods and my best friend always thought she'd prefer the banks of plum creek.) I actually remembered this recently and wanted to try it, but then I realized that the potato would only stay warm long enough to last the drive to campus. And my car has heat and it's hard to drive while holding a baked potato, so I didn't bother.

On the subject of fingerless gloves, I wear normal gloves in school. My finger tips change color otherwise and you learn to type and write and such with them on. (Which always made me think of how Mrs. Popper got used to playing piano with her gloves on.)

In summary
: I don't understand fingerless gloves and I should become a 3rd grade reading teacher.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:41 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

dakini wrote:
I've had mittens like that in the past, and that is like the best of both worlds. Someone needs to sell those on etsy.

I got a custom pair from this shop!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/DebzCreations

She has two listed right now that are vegan, or if you contact her and tell her you want something vegan she'll make it for you! You can request a specific color and I even got to pick which buttons I wanted. She also asked for hand measurements to make sure they fit, which was awesome since I guess I have really long fingers and sometimes have trouble finding gloves that fit. My gloves go further up the arm, almost to the elbow, and are super warm. I've had them for two years and they're still in really good shape.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:44 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

fingerless gloves saved me covering (reporter) outdoor events in winter. I still had to write and photograph, so the fingers were cold, but my hands and wrists hurt less.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:15 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have the fold over mittens. They are pointless cause they have thumbs. I need my thumbs bare to count money and to text. I do like if I am quick enough I can give a proper 'bird'-you can't flip people off in mittens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:17 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I live in a climate with very mild winters and it rarely gets cold enough to need full gloves. Fingerless gloves are just warm enough, and allow me to still use my hands.

I'm getting these cotton knit fingerless gloves from an Etsy seller:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61718087/st ... gloves-arm

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61718091/da ... gloves-arm

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:25 pm 

Fee wrote:
My favorite mittens that I have are fingerless gloves, but they have a fold-over mitten part that can button back. It's really useful when you need finger control, but your hands will still be cold.

Yeah, these are what I use when it gets really cold here (although when I go home to Massachusetts they're useless...may as well not be wearing anything it gets so frigid!) I'm always walking around with takeaway coffee cups and my phone so I need my fingers as much as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:29 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I wanted fingerless mittens last year since it was cold in our office. I found a lot of knitting patterns but I'm not a knitter (yet). I found this to make some by cutting out the heel and toe parts of the stock. I love them. I'll probably make another pair from warmer socks.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:41 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Puma wrote:
I have the fold over mittens. They are pointless cause they have thumbs. I need my thumbs bare to count money and to text. I do like if I am quick enough I can give a proper 'bird'-you can't flip people off in mittens.

The ones I got from Etsy (link is a few posts back) have a little thumb-flap on the thumb so you can uncover your thumbs too! I have another pair of mitten-gloves that don't have thumb-flaps and I find it annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:13 pm 
Dead by dawn

I found a pair at Target last year that just had button-back flaps for your index fingers and thumbs, which I like for outdoors because they're warmer than fully fingerless gloves. For inside my office, I snipped just the tips off some old gloves so the fingers are longer than most, but I can still type... it's been so flippin' cold in there!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

Location: A little cabin in the woods of the Willamette Valley
dakini wrote:
Fee wrote:
My favorite mittens that I have are fingerless gloves, but they have a fold-over mitten part that can button back. It's really useful when you need finger control, but your hands will still be cold.

I've had mittens like that in the past, and that is like the best of both worlds. Someone needs to sell those on etsy.

my mom just got me a pair from target-- not my favorite company in the world but i do heart those gloves

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I just found hello kitty ones with out thumbs!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:14 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Badgermog wrote:
Fee wrote:
Huh, I just carry around a sausage to keep my hands warm.

I just use my hands to keep my sausage warm.

.....sorry.

HAhahaha. Classy.