| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gizmo fell down a flight of stairs yesterday.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:33 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

She is totally fine but I am not. I am actually pretty traumatized because it happened right in front of me and there was nothing I could do.

Other than Gizmo we have two lab/hound mutts as the family dogs. The youngest one, Gimli, is about 3 and he is super clumsy and not so smart. He is constantly hopping aruond like a kangaroo, no joke, and I am always super nervous he is going to land on Gizmo one of these days. He is also always tripping over her.

At night we block off the stairs so the big dogs can't come up otherwise they will whine outside my door all night because they want to play with Gizmo. Somehow Gimli knocked the barrier down and got up the stairs the night before last and was waiting for Gizmo and I when we woke up yesterday morning. In all of the dogs morning excitement from seeing humans, which means its breakfast time, they were all rushing down the stairs to the kitchen to get let out and get fed. I was still on the top step trying to balance Gizmo's food bowl and the cat bowls all while trying to see out of my still sleeping eyes, they were about 3 down(there are like 16 or more in total - all wood) when Gizmo ended up under one of Gimli's monster paws and went tumbling. All. The. Way. Down. The floor at the bottom of the stairs is ceramic tile and there is a wall with a doorway 3 feet from the bottom step, which she slid into. She isn't hurt at all and didn't seem shaken but I am a complete mess.

After I checked her out after the fall I just sat there holding her crying hysterically for an hour before I was able to stop long enough to get my asparagus in the shower for work. I keep replaying her falling over and over in my head, I can't shake it. Since yesterday morning everytime she goes to go up or down stairs I carry her because I'm too afraid Gimli will appear out of nowhere and trip over her again.

I don't want to baby her (more than I already do) and I don't want Gimli to not be able to play with his best friend anymore without me freaking out and separating them but I know how strong he is, even though he would never intentionally hurt her one wrong move and he could easily snap her neck.

It's kind of funny I worry more about her getting injured by my 70 lb clueless hound mutt than my brother's 90lb all muscle pit.

Sorry this post is so long, I had to get it off my chest. Other than Gizmo's dad I knew the only people who would really understand how I feel would be you guys. <3

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

Post subject: Re: Gizmo fell down a flight of stairs yesterday.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:38 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

awwww! huuuugs! i don't have any suggestions for you, but that must have been really scary! i'm glad gizmo is ok!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:45 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
awwww! huuuugs! i don't have any suggestions for you, but that must have been really scary! i'm glad gizmo is ok!

thanks! I wasn't looking for suggestions, just to vent and for love =)

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:53 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

*Hugs*

I've freaked out like that too when I thought my girl was hurt. Gizmo probably doesn't even remember -- or least doesn't remember it as a traumatic event.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Aww, I'm glad she's okay! That does sound scary!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:14 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh no! That would scare me too. I freak whenever I think Sable might be hurt. I'm glad she's okay!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:14 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Awww, poor Gizmo, and poor you!

The important thing is that she wasn't hurt, so try and focus on that. Also, I'd imagine it's a lot less dangerous for a small dog to fall down some stairs than it is for a person. A person has a lot farther to fall, while a little dog like Gizmo would only really be falling a couple inches at a time (if that makes sense).

My cats have both fallen off the beams that go across our studio with its vaulted ceiling (14 feet up). It's the scariest ever, but they're always fine, little mustards!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

aw that sounds so scary! Dogs are so tough though. My parent's dog fell off a bridge and landed on rocks 10 feet below and she was completely fine. All of us humans were freaking out but she didn't even seem fazed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

Yeah, I think that even though it looks terrifying/impressive, it's probably a lot less dangerous for a wee little thing like her to take a tumble than someone bigger. Not just because she's falling in increments... but because dogs are flat-out tough little buggers (I was in a car that got rear-ended, I was achy with whiplash for weeks - our dog, who was in the front seat and bounced off the windscreen... twice... was just happy to get to meet lots of friendly paramedics who smelled interesting, and loved posing in the photos for the insurance company) but even in humans, smaller bodies seem to correlate to fewer broken bones and such. At least, that is what I read in an article I cannot locate, which had statistics of height vs. mortality in falls and car crashes. So I'm a totally reliable resource on this one. But the important thing is that Gizmo has borne out the statistics and isn't hurt!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:45 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Yeekers. So glad that Miss Gizmo is okay!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:40 pm 
ugh

Aw, Gizmo!! That would have freaked me out, too. Hugs to you!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 pm 

Thanks all! I am still super paranoid and have started making some changes to make sure I am doing everything possible to prevent any injuries, or worse. I know I can't prevent everything but watching my baby fall down a flight of stairs really scared the shiitake out of me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:49 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I sympathize, I have on many occasions browsed through listing for Rancher-style homes because of my fears of this! One of my pups is a bit clumsy and has fallen down the stairs too. My partner hates Ranchers for the way they look, but if I could afford to buy a house it most definitely would be a rancher I think.

Give Gizmo a extra hug for me.