| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan in the Hospital
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:07 am 
Tofu Pup

sooo ive been hospitalized for a few weeks and im so sick of amy's frozen sheppherds pies (they dont have too many vegan options here so ive been eating heaps of amys)

i know, its hard to get sick of amys. but its been a few weeks....

any tips on surviving?

Post subject: Re: Vegan in the Hospital
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:09 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I think if I was in that position, I'd get sick of whatever I was eating. Basically anything out of a box tastes meh after awhile and I want a home cooked meal. Can you have anyone bring you something homemade?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:09 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Do you have someone on the outside that could cook something yummy and bring it to you?

I hope you get well soon!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:10 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Can you have someone bring you something else? When my friend was in hospital with a broken back I took her pb&j's, hummus & veggie sandwiches, hummus with veggies to dip, loads of fruit.

It's funny reading that as it's so obvious that it was before I learnt to cook!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:17 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Have you spoken with the hospital dietitian? When I was in the hospital for a week after gastric bypass, all of the post-surgery things they had were not vegetarian (beef broth, milk, etc), so they actually sent someone grocery shopping to get things for me.

It always amazes me how difficult hospital food is. I mean, come on: place for sick people! They must see every known allergy and then some.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:19 am 
Chip Strong

When my husband broke his arm I tried to bring him stuff from home, and there was a Whole Foods nearby so I could bring him hot bar stuff and muffins and so on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:28 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Get well soon!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:32 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I would be doing everything in my power to get outside food.
Heal quickly.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:35 am 
Semen Strong

What are you recovering from? I assume that if you're able to eat Amy's you're not on a special diet.

I absolutely second contacting the hospital dietician, but I know that that can be hit or miss - some hospitals are great and others are just not be willing to work with you. A vegan acquaintance was in the hospital after a motorcycle accident and the hospital wouldn't help him get high protein vegan food so his friends brought him food to help him heal.

When a vegan friend of ours was in the hospital giving birth she was upset by the fact that the hospital said they would feed her properly but provided her only with green salad and fruit cups. So we organized vegan food from the local vegan Chinese to be delivered to her. Maybe you can do something similar?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:59 am 
Flounceiad 2011

lavawitch wrote:
It always amazes me how difficult hospital food is. I mean, come on: place for sick people!

Seriously. My mother was in and out of hospital/rehab places a lot in the last couple years, and I was always appalled at the horrendous quality of the food (and she was an omnivore!). I mean, we're talking about people recovering from illness, surgery, etc.; wouldn't you imagine they'd privilege healthy, nutritious food to facilitate healing? But no - every time I visited (usually with a care package in hand), I was horrified by the institutional dreck being served.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hospital food is so weird. My dad was in the hospital for a couple days recently after a scare with his heart and he was all stoked that there was a cheeseburger and fries on the cardiac menu (I'm sure it was a "heart-healthy" cheeseburger and fries, but just... ugh).

I hope you can get someone to make you something or even bring you takeout. I would be climbing the walls after that much frozen food. Feel better!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Desdemona wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
It always amazes me how difficult hospital food is. I mean, come on: place for sick people!

Seriously. My mother was in and out of hospital/rehab places a lot in the last couple years, and I was always appalled at the horrendous quality of the food (and she was an omnivore!). I mean, we're talking about people recovering from illness, surgery, etc.; wouldn't you imagine they'd privilege healthy, nutritious food to facilitate healing? But no - every time I visited (usually with a care package in hand), I was horrified by the institutional dreck being served.

My mum had a major operation last year and was not recovering properly afterwards. Her consultant actually asked if her family could bring food from home as she was obviously not gaining all her nutritional needs from the hospital food. Obviously we could and did, but if even the doctors know it is rubbish food, what the hell is going on?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:14 pm 
Naked Under Apron

her blog is linked to her username, if y'all want more information. it looks as though she does have other things to eat besides the Amy's, but she is probably just eating a lot of those and is tired of them.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I second the suggestion to talk to the hospital dietitian. If they aren't so concerned about the variety of food you are getting maybe emphasize that you need variety and sufficient calories to regain the weight you have lost.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:16 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I was only in the hospital for about three days and I was totally sick of what they were giving me. I got the Amy's treatment too. But they just threw the warm, plastic wrapped meal on a tray. I didn't eat the first one, because I couldn't identify it. Also, for the first day or so, I was on liquids only. I basically only drank water and apple juice because they kept bringing me chicken broth, or what smelled like chicken broth. Nothing was labeled, and the little card they brought was usually scribbled over a few times. I didn't understand that at all. Thankfully, I didn't have much of an appetite, but my BF did bring food a few times.

A few days after I came home, one of the care surveys came in the mail. I tore the food to shreds.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:32 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Hospital food is the worst, even if you aren't vegan. Is there someone that can bring you something in? Get well soon!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Well I hope you get better and get someone to bring you something different to eat, homecooked, hopefully it will still be warm once it gets to you! Get better!

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hope you feel better soon!
I think hospital food sucks vegan or not. Hopefully someone will bring you something home made and delicious :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:36 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I was in the hospital when I was 16 and good thing I was out most of the time - the food was blah! I was veg then so if I went back now as vegan I would starve since these cheese 'sandwich' would not work.

My dad was in the hospital a few years back after he broke his hip. He then went to a convalescent home to recover. The food they were serving was horrible, I mean stale brread covered in pasta sauce and bagged cheese ontop was 'pizza' and a salad was day old veggies. We ended up bringing him food.

If you can - get family to bring you in food if the hospital cannot work with your dietary needs. I read some of your blog - I too suffer from really bad OCD/anxiety - so if you wanna talk feel free to hit me up!