| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Vitamix
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:23 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I'm considering getting a (factory reconditioned) Vitamix with our income tax refund. My question is: does anyone here have one? Are they worth the money? Are they, in short, all that?

Post subject: Re: Vitamix
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:27 pm 
Semen Strong

I got ours when CostCo had their promotion, and to be honest we use it mainly for smoothies and not much else. Its pretty good and I know a lot of people love theirs, but its pretty pricey if you're only using it in a limited capacity.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have been using mine for a week or two and having one means I will drink a green smoothie every single day. I love it! I bought the dry container as well so I can make my own flour.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I got a reconditioned VitaMix about 4 years ago and it's awesome. Well worth the investment!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I got a reconditioned one too, 3 years ago. Without it, I would not drink my daily green smoothie. So it is worth is to me. It provides 33.333333% of my meals!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:42 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I use it for making smoothies, sauces, creamed soups (the best!), salad dressings and soft ice cream. Purchasing it for me was a big extravagance, but whenever I use it, I am so happy that I made the investment.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:34 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I have one and it is WELL worth it! We got ours with our tax return a few years ago and it is used multiple times daily for all sorts of things. Go for it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I <3 my VitaMix!!

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:08 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Where are you guys buying them?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:15 pm 
Hip Goiter

Question - do you users find that it can handle a lot of the jobs otherwise meant for a food processor?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

RandiJM wrote:
Question - do you users find that it can handle a lot of the jobs otherwise meant for a food processor?

I have found that I still prefer my food processor for certain jobs (the shredder attachment and small batch stuff).

I got mine with a tax return from the VitaMix website

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Do used, perfectly good vitamixes from decades passed randomly show up in thrift stores, ever? Has anyone ever seen one there?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:04 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I *L-O-V-E* my VitaMix. I can't imagine life without it. I use it for smoothies, cheezy sauces, dressings, fillings, marinades, tofu quiche/omelet batter, fruit "ice cream", etc. I bought mine new at a Costco promotion like 6 years ago. I also bought the small container so it could stay out & fit under my cabinet. (But I read here on The PPK someone saying the new regular design now fits.) Everyone should have a VitaMix!

And by everyone, I mean Isa. For whatever reason, I've been bothered lately by something I read.... Isa saying she doesn't have a VitaMix (I don't remember where I read it; I thought it was here on The PPK). And that makes me really sad. How can the cooking goddess that she is not have access to the most powerful consumer blending equipment out there? What kind of even greater cooking masterpieces could she come up with if she had one? And how many copies of AFR does an author have to sell in order to have enough coin for a VitaMix? I almost feel guilty using my VitaMix to make her recipes. Almost.

Yeah, I know, I'm weird. Or just full of Catholic guilt.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:07 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

katiepillars wrote:
Do used, perfectly good vitamixes from decades passed randomly show up in thrift stores, ever? Has anyone ever seen one there?

I have never seen a VitaMix at a thift store. I'd I've seen a lot of thrift stores in my day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:09 am 
Semen Strong

katiepillars wrote:

I have a friend who got hers from a thrift store, but they don't show up very often. People know how good they are and how long they last.

I got mine at the annual Costco promotion,which JENNA kindly alerted me to.

From all the V-mix love I really should be making a point of branching out and at least making creamy soups. Tomorrow's roasted parsnip and garlic soup is dedicated to this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:42 am 
Crazy bat lady

I bought mine at Costco...the Vitamix guy shows up at my Costco store about once every 3 months.

I can't express how much I LOVE my VM!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:26 am 
Huffs Nooch

We just bought one a few weeks ago from QVC. I've only made a sorbet and smoothies with it so far. Next I'm planning to make brocolli soup.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Another one from QVC; the price was really good at that time. My lunch today: blueberry-blackberry-kiwi green smoothie, made in the Vitamix, alongside roasted cauliflower-garlic-carrot soup, also made in the Vitamix. So easy and yum.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:18 pm 
Semen Strong

I am making this soup thanks to all the Vitamix love!
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/02/ro ... rooms.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:54 pm 
Semen Strong

Okay, I am a convert! This creamy soup is divine - tons of flavor and so few calories. NUMMY!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:06 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I always hear how great it is, but honestly I have the new ninja (the one that comes with the six blade one) and I LOVE it and it's like, 65$ I think? ...Yup. Just checked.

I had the old one, the new one is nicer but I loved the first too. I cook a lot and I use it for soups, smoothies/shakes, chopping veggies, nuts, breadcrumbs, etc. I have no complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Professional-Blender-Chopper-Powerful/dp/B003J518MW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1298325809&sr=8-3

If you don't want to spend a billion dollars I mean.

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Angie V. wrote:
I *L-O-V-E* my VitaMix. I can't imagine life without it. I use it for smoothies, cheezy sauces, dressings, fillings, marinades, tofu quiche/omelet batter, fruit "ice cream", etc. I bought mine new at a Costco promotion like 6 years ago. I also bought the small container so it could stay out & fit under my cabinet. (But I read here on The PPK someone saying the new regular design now fits.) Everyone should have a VitaMix!

And by everyone, I mean Isa. For whatever reason, I've been bothered lately by something I read.... Isa saying she doesn't have a VitaMix (I don't remember where I read it; I thought it was here on The PPK). And that makes me really sad. How can the cooking goddess that she is not have access to the most powerful consumer blending equipment out there? What kind of even greater cooking masterpieces could she come up with if she had one? And how many copies of AFR does an author have to sell in order to have enough coin for a VitaMix? I almost feel guilty using my VitaMix to make her recipes. Almost.

Yeah, I know, I'm weird. Or just full of Catholic guilt.

If she just wanted one I'm sure she could get one . . . but if she was using it to create recipes then it would just leave out everybody who doesn't have one (and honestly, the cost makes it a fairly high bar for a lot of us).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Angie V. wrote:

This kind of thing makes me not want one. Yeah, I get that it's probably an awesome product. But I don't need to be pitied or have someone assume that I 'don't have enough coin' just because I'm not a slave to a brand name. I can be a good cook without 'the most powerful consumer blending equipment out there'™. Some of us just like to spend our money on other things we find enjoyable. Rest assured, we're not suffering. So you can stop feeling guilty.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Erinnerung wrote:
Rest assured, we're not suffering. So you can stop feeling guilty.

Only because you have no idea how good food can be! The Vitamix makes everything taste like puppies and rainbows.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
Only because you have no idea how good food can be! The Vitamix makes everything taste like puppies and rainbows.

I will have you know that my poorly-blended gruel is unfathomably delicious!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next