| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you growing?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ooh I love both of your blogs. I just added them to mine. Now I need to figure out how to get tabs like that on mine too.

This is it: http://grow-peace.blogspot.com/

I just came here to post my 2011 plan I'm all excited about but when I paste it isn't easy to read. So if anyone wants to see what I'm growing this year just check out my blog.

Also - alligatordisco - I'm in zone 6b. I wanted to grow leeks for the 1st time this year. I see you already planted yours - should I have started mine already?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:44 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Aubade wrote:
Ooh I love both of your blogs. I just added them to mine. Now I need to figure out how to get tabs like that on mine too.

This is it: http://grow-peace.blogspot.com/

I just came here to post my 2011 plan I'm all excited about but when I paste it isn't easy to read. So if anyone wants to see what I'm growing this year just check out my blog.

Also - alligatordisco - I'm in zone 6b. I wanted to grow leeks for the 1st time this year. I see you already planted yours - should I have started mine already?

I don't really know off the top of my head! Look at the number of days till harvest on the leek seeds (or google it) and subtract from the date you'd like to harvest- fall, most likely, or late fall if you don't have really hard frosts early. Then use that as a general date to start sowing!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, well I was just thinking if you're upstate and already started yours, and it's warmer where I am then I should have. Unless you have a special reason for starting yours early... Though I guess it does depend which type I'm growing. I actually have 2 types- fast and slow growing. I read up on it a bit since last posting too and it seems like there is a lot of variability depending on how big you want to pick them. So it doesn't seem to matter too much.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:25 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Exactly Aubade, I started mine super early so that I can get a nice early harvest, but I am also going to succession sow them once a month so I can get them through the fall and early winter. I've never grown them before so I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:56 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Well I guess we'll be finding out how leeks grow together this season. :-) yay for trying new crops!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:36 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Johnny's has a great seed starting calculator that automatically gives you indoor or outdoor sowing dates based on your frost-free date. I always start too early (mired in the trench of February), but I'm going to be patient this year and wait until mid- to late March.

My Folia page, if anyone's on there: http://myfolia.com/gardener/Stephanie

Will post my seed list later if anyone wants to trade (I have like 100 different kinds of seeds)!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:59 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Right now there's 4 feet of snow on the ground outside, but I have big plans for the garden this year. Last year I planted a pear tree, transplanted a pile of strawberry plants from my parents house, and we had loads of cherry tomatoes. I also had quite a few herbs outside all summer that I should have brought in because they were doing really well (thyme, tarragon, basil, dill).
This summer I'm getting a backyard composter for our food scraps. I got a whole bunch of old dried up seaweed from the cottage at the end of the summer and added it to my make shift compost heap (open air composting is against a by-law here). All of our dead plants and grass clippings, pumpkin from halloween, etc, went in that pile. My father in-law has 2 pet donkeys and 2 pet horses and a mountain of poop that comes from them, so I might add some of that to my pile.
For plants this summer, I would love to have a few more fruit trees, more strawberries, different berry plants (raspberries, blackberries, high bush blueberries), loads of cucumbers for making pickles, greens, pumpkins, butternut squash, peppers, tomatoes, everything really. I want my front yard to have enough plants so that I don't have to see all the neighbours across the street. Big trees, bird feeders, loads of edible plants, an oasis.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think your thyme and tarragon should grow back AmandaMelanie. Mine do every year, even with all the snow we got last year.
I let some of my dill go to seed, so sometimes it reseeds itself and grows back the next year but not always.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:29 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I've just been out in the garden. In one square I have cucumber, eggplant, carrot, kale, lettuce and I've also planted some more rocket, lettuce, kale, nasturtiums and herbs all around the place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:55 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Aubade wrote:
I think your thyme and tarragon should grow back AmandaMelanie. Mine do every year, even with all the snow we got last year.
I let some of my dill go to seed, so sometimes it reseeds itself and grows back the next year but not always.

Really?
crepe. I turned out the pots into the compost pile. Maybe I'll have an herb garden on top of it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:06 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Someone posted a link to a video... maybe a year ago? It was about a family in LA (I think) that had a very small property, but every square inch was used for growing food and every plant they had was edible in some way. Does anyone have the link to that?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:09 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I'm currently growing potatoes in the pots. Totally by accident, I had some butter potatoes that sprouted so I popped them in the pots and they germinated and now I'm waiting. As far as I know I have to wait for the external plant to die which means the potatoes are ready, correct?

Last summer I had about 8 tomatoes plants in the pots but got zero tomatoes. So this year I'll try again but I'll buy the plants instead of starting from the seeds, maybe it helps. Then I have strawberries which are going on on their own, and I really really want to try spinach and lettuce but neither grew every time I tried to plant them! I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

This summer I also want to try the bell peppers again and maybe the zucchini, but I need a different pot for the zucchini because last year once they got bigger than the pot, they stopped producing.
I'm also growing thyme and rosemary and lavander, and will do the basil again once it's warmer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:58 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Anek wrote:
I'm currently growing potatoes in the pots. Totally by accident, I had some butter potatoes that sprouted so I popped them in the pots and they germinated and now I'm waiting. As far as I know I have to wait for the external plant to die which means the potatoes are ready, correct?

If you add soil, or straw (hill up) on top of the green you will get more potatoes. You can lay the green portion down on to the side. Leave some of the green showing, though until they grow some more, and hill up again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:07 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Thanks Magpie-Grin! I'll try with the staw.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:53 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I have an assortment pack of kitchen herb seeds. I'm starting out with chives and thyme in my not so sunny windowsill because google says they don't need a lot of sunlight.
Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:16 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Anek wrote:

No problem. Let the green part get to 12" each time before you hill them up. Lots of potatoes!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:50 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Magpie-Grin wrote:
Anek wrote:

No problem. Let the green part get to 12" each time before you hill them up. Lots of potatoes!

you can also grow them in garbage cans for easier harvesting. if you do a google search on 'garbage can potatoes' you'll get some interesting videos! let me know how it works for you--i've read that sprouted potatoes don't produce many spuds and are susceptible to disease because they aren't seed potatoes. maybe it's different in germany--our stuff at the market is so genetically modified one can't generally produce potatoes from a store bought potato.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:55 pm 
Spent a summer in Brisbane, hated it

This year I'm growing, from seed: a lot of basil, oregano, dill, chives, parsley, and sage for the herbs. For veggies: lettuce (2 kinds), peppers (2 kinds), tomatoes (3 kinds), cabbage, kohlrabi, squash, zucchini, and beets. I usually start planting my garden around the last week in May. I won't put the herb plants outside, I'll probably just have them in different pots all around the house.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm so excited, my garden is coming alive. I've got a bunch of mache that reseeded itself that is just about ready for harvest. Radishes, lettuce, and arugula that I planted outside a few weeks ago are all germinated. This weekend I planted carrots, turnips, red & green mustard greens, scallions, more lettuce, and more peas outside.

Inside my seedlings are doing really well! (much better than last year, I must have had really bad luck) Inside I've got 10 tangerine gem marigolds, 4 swiss chard, 6 lettuces, 4 tomatoes (2 more still need to germinate) and 2 ground cherries. The marigolds and 3 of the tomatoes almost have their 2nd set of leaves, so it will be time to repot soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:54 am 
ol' garly cooch

Aubade wrote:
I'm so excited, my garden is coming alive. I've got a bunch of mache that reseeded itself that is just about ready for harvest. Radishes, lettuce, and arugula that I planted outside a few weeks ago are all germinated. This weekend I planted carrots, turnips, red & green mustard greens, scallions, more lettuce, and more peas outside.

Inside my seedlings are doing really well! (much better than last year, I must have had really bad luck) Inside I've got 10 tangerine gem marigolds, 4 swiss chard, 6 lettuces, 4 tomatoes (2 more still need to germinate) and 2 ground cherries. The marigolds and 3 of the tomatoes almost have their 2nd set of leaves, so it will be time to repot soon.

things like this make me totally, blissfully, and chocolate coated happy. what are you using for your nitrogen source? i'm using seaweed this year--GO makes a vegan grow and bloom formula.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have one hundred and twenty-eight very happy flower, fruit, and vegetable seedlings under one timer-driven HID metal halide and one oscillating fan. This past weekend, the temperature unexpectedly popped from around 40 up to 84 motherloving degrees, and we built three 4x4-foot raised beds that will serve as the future home of most of those seedlings. Every day, the sun stays out a little longer and the plants get a little bigger. Parsley, spinach, lettuce, and peas will be planted out over the next week or so. Spring is coming!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I planted a meyer lemon tree, it is doing really well! I also have some tomatoes, basil, dill, and padron peppers. I am planning to get some more but I am waiting for a friend to come over and tell me what she thinks will grow best. I really want to grow herbs because when I buy them I only need a little and I always end up getting bunch that is too large and I can rarely get through it. I would also love to grow a tea garden, but I think that is mostly so I can talk about my tea garden...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jewbacca wrote:
things like this make me totally, blissfully, and chocolate coated happy. what are you using for your nitrogen source? i'm using seaweed this year--GO makes a vegan grow and bloom formula.

I have some maxicrop seaweed leftover from prior years. Last year I also added a whole bunch of compost (that I had to buy since mine sucks). I had also used this Bonnie soybean stuff in past summers, but I think it may be off since it has developed a weird color, so if I fertilize this year I may have to get something new. I thought if your soil is good you shouldn't fertilize too much though, especially with nitrogen if you are trying to grow fruits/veg and not leaves. I really need to get a soil test though, to find out what I'm truly dealing with. I need to stop procrastinating on that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My dad is building 3 6x4 beds. He is growing tomatoes and cucumbers in one; the other two are being debated between me and my mom. We got a Japanese eggplant, and I got a petite bell pepper plant for Molly. I'd love sweet potatoes, variety of heirloom beets, watermelon radishes, arugula, chard, fennel, and Brussels sprouts. My mom hates sweet potatoes, so we will see.

What else would grow nicely in zone 7?

My dad is planting corn somewhere else and I managed to convince him to plant sugar pumpkins there too: big deal since I'm currently banned from inflicting any pumpkin baked goods on the household.

Last year, my dad built planters for my herbs, so I'll do 4 kinds of basil, dill, oregano, thyme, parsley, and cilantro. Maybe chives? Mint if I have a pot leftover.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:29 am 
Seagull of the PPK

when we moved in a few weeks ago i opened up a few beds (fenced them against the dogs) and planted my winter garden- scallions, collards, nappa cabbage, dill, parsley, cilantro.... a few lettuces and a few basils. threw in seeds for edible chrysanthemums and started chard and spinach. now i look down on the green mess like rapunzel from her window, because there's a 3 foot wall i need to get over to get in the garden, and my knee won't let me do it just yet. Maybe i'll see if someone can give me a boost up there tomorrow so i can weed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next