| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Holiday Gift Ideas
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:05 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Give advice, get advice, share the merriment! Need something for someone and you don't know what to get? The PPKnows! Got something awesome? Tell us!

I found this really awesome wall hanging candle thing at Michael's for $4.99! Can you say . . . mother in law?

Also? My dad LOVES Frank Lloyd Wright so I'm totally getting him this awesomeness:

Yes, it's Fallingwater as Legos. AWESOME.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: Holiday Gift Ideas
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Ooh! That's awesome!

My roommate just got one of those things that rips records into mp3s, so I might sneak into my parent's house and make my dad's favorite records into mp3s.

That's all I've got so far.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:10 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I usually get the same people gifts every year and they're all pretty much variations on the same things. Mom likes candles and earrings. Dad likes aftershave. But now I have a 4 year old little sister to buy for and her 6 year old sister and I'm excited! I'm going to get them books. Last year books were a hit. I don't know what books, though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:06 pm 

Fee wrote:
I usually get the same people gifts every year and they're all pretty much variations on the same things. Mom likes candles and earrings. Dad likes aftershave. But now I have a 4 year old little sister to buy for and her 6 year old sister and I'm excited! I'm going to get them books. Last year books were a hit. I don't know what books, though.

Books are the best. Livi's current favs include books by Bob Staake, books by Melanie Watt, and books about her favorite Characters (Scooby Doo, My Little Pony). I love kid books!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:08 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm making lots of my family coffee gift baskets. . . with my free weekly markouts. At least Starbucks is good for something, right? I plan to put a pound of coffee, a box of tea, a couple mugs and then bake some biscotti and cookies.

For my mom I'm getting her the same plus lots of bath items, hair products and maybe some books.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sarah wrote:
I'm making lots of my family coffee gift baskets. . . with my free weekly markouts. At least Starbucks is good for something, right? I plan to put a pound of coffee, a box of tea, a couple mugs and then bake some biscotti and cookies.

For my mom I'm getting her the same plus lots of bath items, hair products and maybe some books.

I miss my markouts! They used to keep so many people happy. Also, one year my mum made me buy bearista bears for all the kids in our family because I could get them so cheap.

I have NO IDEA what to get for Boyfriend's mother. She's the most difficult person on the planet to buy things for. All she ever asks for is books, but she never really reads so I don't really get the point. All I've come up with so far is cross stitching something for her, because even then if it's shiitake she can't complain about it because I might have slaved over that for MONTHS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:25 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I have a few nerdy gift ideas for my boyfriend in my brain. We found Mar a nice cat lounge we are going to buy from Amazon. For my dad I have a few ideas from Pyramid Collection. However my mom, step dad and a few people on my boyfriend's side is still up in the air.

What is a good gift for a late 20-something chick who likes cute, high end, hates clutter (I was thinking a gift basket of candles and and useful home things)?

Good chapter books for a 8 year old boy who likes super heroes and wrestling?

Any nerdy-video game-horror type things for my boyfriend?

What are some good gifts to keep on hand for people that stop by - under $10?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:57 pm 

Erinnerung wrote:
I have NO IDEA what to get for Boyfriend's mother. She's the most difficult person on the planet to buy things for. All she ever asks for is books, but she never really reads so I don't really get the point. All I've come up with so far is cross stitching something for her, because even then if it's shiitake she can't complain about it because I might have slaved over that for MONTHS.

Amazon or B&N gift certificate? That's only good if you're okay with spending an unembarassingly small amount of money on her, unlike myself :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:01 pm 

missmuffcake wrote:
What is a good gift for a late 20-something chick who likes cute, high end, hates clutter (I was thinking a gift basket of candles and and useful home things)?

What are some good gifts to keep on hand for people that stop by - under $10?

Gift certificate? To sephora or something?

There's a section in Barnes & Noble with sport books - maybe there's something good in there to give you an idea?

Nooooo idea.

Baked things in pretty containers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Last year I failed at Christmas for everyone except a cousin-in-law, so I am going to try not to suck as much this year. Creating and buying Christmas presents is usually one of my all time favorite things, but last year I had a 3 month old baby, serious depression, and no cash.

I want to knit a hat for my mother-in-law, because last year I knit her a hat and it was way too small. Comically too small.

Maybe something else knit for my father-in-law. In all my copious free time, ha ha.

Hoping to send cookies to some of my family members back east. That's something I almost always end up doing.

Want to get some sort of instrument for my kid. He loves instruments. Maybe a little kid sized guitar? Or a little kid sized piano. He's already got several rinky dink keyboards that he likes a lot and some fun percussion stuff (bell stick, tambourine, egg shaker, etc).

No idea for my spouse.

I'm currently collecting little odds and ends for my sister, whose birthday is on Christmas. Every year I try to send her a box of stuff specifically for her birthday. So far I think I have some soap for her, and that's it. Not my most successful year so far.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:28 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, I literally have no idea what to get for my husband, I'm unemployed & for the first time ever I have none of my own money. It seems weird to spend his money on him... I always remember my dad giving my mum money to get his Xmas presents though so maybe it's normal?!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:44 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

appifanie wrote:

Gift certificate? To sephora or something?

She does not wear makeup! Plus I hate giving gc unless it is a teen who is at the 'I wanna shop my own way' stage or for drinks or snack places...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:33 pm 

jojo wrote:
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, I literally have no idea what to get for my husband, I'm unemployed & for the first time ever I have none of my own money. It seems weird to spend his money on him... I always remember my dad giving my mum money to get his Xmas presents though so maybe it's normal?!

It is weird, but it happens. Ask him what he wants then you get an idea of a price range. My husband asked for a pair of $350 headphones. I can't help but think he's insane.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

missmuffcake wrote:

I highly recommend the "Captain Underpants" series.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:38 am 
Dildo Queen

glad to see i'm not the only one thinking about christmas way too early. i've been thinking about it since like august. i love giving gifts to people, especially making things for them. i just remember i have a soap kit, maybe i'll give soap to some of my friends!

for my 15 year old sister: a painting of outer space done by me, and some other things from her wishlist
mom: hazelnut coffee and probably a book that she'll ask for
dad: lindor chocolates and something from his wishlist
my friend dan: a painting of a skeleton also done by me
other friends: fudge and cookies, shortbread and gingerbread.

my budget this year is about $150 so i'm going to be making most of the gifts. i typically don't give cards but i'll have a lot of free time in december (no exams) so it will keep me entertained. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:08 am 
ugh

missmuffcake wrote:

Look on thinkgeek.com, I'm sure you'll find something. They have a lot of great stocking stuffers, at least. I suggest signing up for the mailing list and waiting awhile, they put out great coupon codes closer to the holidays.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:29 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My boss has the Fallingwater lego set! It sits on our entry table.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I got my brother this last year: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-appare ... tive/a5bf/ He loved it! I found it hilarious myself. That website is full of coolness. Oh yeah I got my sister this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/c4b5/ and immediately my partner wanted one for himself! Yes its kind of one of those endless kitchen gadgets but seems pretty useful if you make a lot of pasta.

This year I'm pretty low on ideas. But if you are into gift certificates I must reccomend signing up for Groupon. They have great deals and over time you will see things that would be nice gifts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:36 pm 
Human Gravy

My 18 year old brother bought a jetta over the summer and he is OBSESSED, so I am gonna get him this belt:

http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/the-vi ... dtm9i3in66

I love their belts. They are really durable. And considering the material, I think he'll really enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:33 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lilyyw wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

I highly recommend the "Captain Underpants" series.

Yes! We have kids at school who are obsessed with these - even kids who are not that into reading love them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

b.vicious wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

Look on thinkgeek.com, I'm sure you'll find something. They have a lot of great stocking stuffers, at least. I suggest signing up for the mailing list and waiting awhile, they put out great coupon codes closer to the holidays.

I agree with this, Think Geek is awesome. Last year I got Boyfriend a console from there that plays 8- and 16-bit games, and a few of his favourite games from when he was a kid. There's something for everyone on that site!

Also, does your boyfriend play on PC or a console? If you got him a game that he didn't have or hadn't thought of, it would make you seem awesome. It's easy to find recommendations online. Or I can get my boyfriend to suggest something, he works at a game store so he knows everything that's out there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:29 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

This might not be super helpful, but I'm a used bookstore junkie. I like to pick out silly/obscure books on topics that may or may not amuse my giftees.

Also, maybe I have too many writers in my life, but I tend to gift a fair number of sturdy, ring-bound, lined journals.

Oh, and food.

These three things are the only gifts I actually enjoy receiving. So... transference. I assume that everyone else will like them too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:03 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Erinnerung wrote:

I agree with this, Think Geek is awesome. Last year I got Boyfriend a console from there that plays 8- and 16-bit games, and a few of his favourite games from when he was a kid. There's something for everyone on that site!

Also, does your boyfriend play on PC or a console? If you got him a game that he didn't have or hadn't thought of, it would make you seem awesome. It's easy to find recommendations online. Or I can get my boyfriend to suggest something, he works at a game store so he knows everything that's out there.

I already am ordering the Atari beer glasses from thinkgeek! As for games I think he will give me a list. He just got a wrestling game that came out today but plays a lot of RockStar games. He has a converter on his computer and has all the old NES & arcade games...If I had the $ I would buy him a TMNT arcade cabinet...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:41 pm 
Dildo Queen

sarahcaroline wrote:
books, lined journals, and food.

yesssss best gifts to receive. they're practical and also personal. glorious. and fun to give to other people!