| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: deactivated facebook
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:45 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

mixmaster_mo wrote:
silverlining wrote:
I really wish people were less rah-rah because it kind of rubs it in the face of people who would like to use it, but for whom it isn't such a good thing to have.

I find this statement a bit problematic because I don't understand how liking something has any effect on the people who don't like it. Maybe I misinterpreted what you were saying, though? If so, my apologies.

I agree, it was a butt-hurt thing to say. There is nothing wrong with you liking it - Facebook is increasingly becoming the normative social environment. Social invitations ONLY go out to people on facebook. It gets to a point where you either have to be on it, or you are somewhat of a recluse, even if you don't want/intend to be. Hence my statement.

I made my choice, based on personal experience and personal ethics. (and to throw another wrench in, it isn't just privacy concerns, I also believe FB indulges, encourages and expedites some of the worst kinds of human behavior - including stalking).

Last edited by silverlining on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:52 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

linanil wrote:
I think it is strange for someone that is posting on an internet message board to be concerned about privacy of facebook. Even without giving out info, the system will know your IP address and email address.

I know enough that if you want to be private, it is best to stay off the internet.

I completely agree with this. I have questioned my participation on this board in light of concerns about privacy and decided it was worth it. I am not a complete luddite, and think the internet is an amazing tool. I would like to participate socially on the internet at some level, and doing it to advance the rights of animals seems like a worthy trade off.

That is where I draw my line. There are social/political/economic aspects of facebook that make me wildly uncomfortable to the point where I would rather not participate.

linanil wrote:
And it also doesn't surprise me that Facebook would try to make money. They are providing a service. If you don't want to use their service, then you don't have to. As the old saying goes, nothing is free.

So, how much is facebook charging you, exactly? What if you object to how they choose to use your data in the future?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:09 pm 
WRETCHED

silverlining wrote:
linanil wrote:
And it also doesn't surprise me that Facebook would try to make money. They are providing a service. If you don't want to use their service, then you don't have to. As the old saying goes, nothing is free.

So, how much is facebook charging you, exactly? What if you object to how they choose to use your data in the future?

Anything I disclose on FB, I expect to be able to have fully disclosed to the world. Again, its part of the internet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:15 pm 
Dead by dawn

I like facebook, but I don't play any games so there's no time suck issue, I don't have friends or family that cause drama, and I don't post anything that I wouldn't want the world (say, my employer for example) to get wind of. I generally read my news feed once, maaaaybe twice, a day and post a status update once in awhile, usually about food. I'm probably your most boring facebook friend but I'm OK with that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:36 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

monkeytoes wrote:
I like facebook, but I don't play any games so there's no time suck issue, I don't have friends or family that cause drama, and I don't post anything that I wouldn't want the world (say, my employer for example) to get wind of. I generally read my news feed once, maaaaybe twice, a day and post a status update once in awhile, usually about food. I'm probably your most boring facebook friend but I'm OK with that.

This is how I feel about it. I can't spend much time on it because I wouldn't know what to do there. I used to hate it too but then I cut my friends list to only people I socialize with or people who I genuinely like and some ppkers. Now I just go there to tell people what I made for dinner and other such information that people don't really care about.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:38 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

In 5 years no one will know what FB is. There will be some new site everyone flocks to. Just like what happened to friendster and myspace.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:40 pm 
WRETCHED

Yup and the next one will have brain implants.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:41 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Yeah, I pretty much just use it to talk trash about hoveringdog™. Apparently.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:06 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm not on FB because I am extremely private and I don't like keeping in touch with people.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I live really far from my family and my close friends. I feel that without FB I probably wouldn't keep in touch with them as much as I do. We are able to share pictures and what-not, I like it.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:04 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I deactivated mine a couple months ago and couldn't be happier about it. Different strokes for different folks.. I don't keep in touch with nearly as many people now, though. That is the only down side. Although, I'd rather just text people or talk on the phone if I don't see them in person. Although I'm the worst at initiating that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mixmaster_mo wrote:
silverlining wrote:
I really wish people were less rah-rah because it kind of rubs it in the face of people who would like to use it, but for whom it isn't such a good thing to have.

I find this statement a bit problematic because I don't understand how liking something has any effect on the people who don't like it. Maybe I misinterpreted what you were saying, though? If so, my apologies.

I also don't understand what Facebook's privacy issues have to do with it being problematic for any one individual.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been deactivated for 2-3 months now, and it's been swell!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:41 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

monkeytoes wrote:

Same here. I use it a bit more now because my sister has moved eight thousand miles away and it's a good way for her to keep in touch with all the family at once.