| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Jersey! - Only the Strong Survive
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Louzilla wrote:
The Pop Shop has vegan cheese and lots of their stuff can be made vegan! AV and I went there when she visited two summers ago.

OOH! This is not too far from Eppy's Dungeon Master's family! Finally, something to eat! thanks louz!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:25 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

jenstiles wrote:
anyone notice the further south you get in nj, the fewer the veg options are?

uhhh yes. i've only been to south jersey and the options are pretty slim. I've only ever been to diners where i get french fries that inevitably make me sick for some reason. i try to just stick to a fruit cup now and have everyone just think I'm on a diet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Louzilla wrote:
The Pop Shop has vegan cheese and lots of their stuff can be made vegan! AV and I went there when she visited two summers ago.

OOH! This is not too far from Eppy's Dungeon Master's family! Finally, something to eat! thanks louz!

i said this the first time the pop shop came up, but if you're close to the pop shop you're also close to amani's veggie garden! (they're about ten minutes away from each other)

there's also a place in that general area (cherry hill) called perlin's vegetarian that apparently has vegan pizza, though i've not actually been there -- just driven by it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:53 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

ijustdiedinside wrote:
jenstiles wrote:
anyone notice the further south you get in nj, the fewer the veg options are?

uhhh yes. i've only been to south jersey and the options are pretty slim. I've only ever been to diners where i get french fries that inevitably make me sick for some reason. i try to just stick to a fruit cup now and have everyone just think I'm on a diet.

i get sick just at the thought of only being able to get fries somewhere. then i get depressed if i actually have to eat them because i end up thinking of all the yummy vegan food i could be eating elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:54 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I just went to Mesob in Montclair for lunch. That was REALLY good. I got the vegetarian sampler, which is $12 for six different dishes and injera. They give plenty -- I got the "for 1" platter, and couldn't finish it. They've also got some really neat vegan chocolates for dessert now, with fillings with different spices, and those were very good, but perhaps not worth the $8 for four tiny chocolates.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:30 pm 
protein lump

i really really want to try the chocolates at mesob. here's hoping for a groupon soon!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:35 am 
Not NOT A Furry

sunshower wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
Louzilla wrote:

i said this the first time the pop shop came up, but if you're close to the pop shop you're also close to amani's veggie garden! (they're about ten minutes away from each other)

there's also a place in that general area (cherry hill) called perlin's vegetarian that apparently has vegan pizza, though i've not actually been there -- just driven by it!

FYI - Amani's Veggie Garden closed down recently (unfortunately).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:39 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

and perlin's vegetarian is actually pescetarian (i refuse to get anything from there on principle)

i think there just isn't enough demand for all-vegan restaurants in s. jersey. they keep closing.

for example, there's a new vegetarian chinese food place in collingswood (http://655greenhouse.com/), and we went there, and we were served this beverage that when we asked what the little cloudy white translucent gelatin-y rectangles were, we were told "jell-o" but i knew it wasn't jell-o specifically, it seemed like agar, and i asked if it was agar, and the owner had no idea what i was talking about. :-( that didn't give me much confidence in the veganity of the rest of the food. i would much rather spend an extra $4 for the bridge and go into philly for food that i knew for sure was vegan.

as for the pop shop, make sure not to go early on saturday (if you're child-free that is) it's ridiculously packed and noisy with kids running all over the place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

esme wrote:
i really really want to try the chocolates at mesob. here's hoping for a groupon soon!

You just reminded me that I have my Groupon for Mesob still that I have to use by the end of the month!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:04 am 
Baking In The Flavor

What's up, Jersey! I'm going to be in Sandy Hook for work this Sunday until probably Thursday. I'll be driving up so I'll have my car, and am all about doing some exploration in the evenings when I'm off. Are there any places within a reasonable distance to Sandy Hook? What's up with seitan gyros?? That would probably make my year. Any other info about that side of Jersey? From what I understand, there isn't much to Sandy Hook itself.

ETA: I'm staying in Tinton Falls if that makes any difference.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:18 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Kaya's Kitchen, in Belmar, is about two towns over from Tinton Falls. They may have a seitan gyro. If not, they have a pretty diverse comfort food menu. They are just a little pricey for the style of food they offer.

Nothing really happens in Tinton Falls but something may be going on in Asbury (Park). I love going to the beach this time of year. You can follow the shoreline and walk through, like, ten towns. If you have a bike, you can bring it and enjoy the boardwalk. If not, there are bike rentals...just not sure if they are open in February.

Enjoy the shore! Hopefully the weather will be awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:03 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

PSYCwon wrote:
What's up, Jersey! I'm going to be in Sandy Hook for work this Sunday until probably Thursday. I'll be driving up so I'll have my car, and am all about doing some exploration in the evenings when I'm off. Are there any places within a reasonable distance to Sandy Hook? What's up with seitan gyros?? That would probably make my year. Any other info about that side of Jersey? From what I understand, there isn't much to Sandy Hook itself.

ETA: I'm staying in Tinton Falls if that makes any difference.

there's a vegan bakery called [url="http://www.papaganache.com/"]Papa Ganache[/url] in Keyport, which is pretty close to Sandy Hook. i've never been, but it sounds like a nice local place to get cupcakes.

Red Bank is pretty veg-friendly and can be fun to walk around. plus it's like Mecca if you're a Kevin Smith fan.

youthtildeath wrote:
Kaya's Kitchen, in Belmar, is about two towns over from Tinton Falls.

it's a liiiiiiittle bit further than that. i'd estimate about a 15-20 minute drive.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:14 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm looking forward to trying some new places while I'm up there!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

hey PSYCwon,

If you haven't already discovered them, here are some places you might enjoy:
In Red Bank:
http://funkandstandard.com/
Funk and Standard is home to the "Yummy Yummy juicebar" and also has a case full of vegan baked goods from Papa Ganache and Cinnamon Snail as well as kale wraps, juices, smoothies

http://www.goodkarmacafenj.com/
Good Karma Cafe: vegan and organic food in a cute but small store front.
the seitan "Philly Cheese steak" is my current fave on the menu recently dethroning the Seitan Gyros

There's also Pizza Fusion that does vegan pies on Broad St

http://www.siamgardenrestaurant.com/docs/Vegetarian.pdf
Siam Garden is a Thai joint with lots of vegan options

http://www.eurasianeatery.com
Eurasian Eatery also has a lot of vegan options. their website kinda sucks but if you manually correct the links you can get to their menu

Just outside of Red Bank in Shrewsbury is Dean's Natural Market if you want to grab a few things to assemble a meal, snacks or get a sandwich or salad to go:
http://www.deansnaturalfoodmarket.com/

There is also a Whole Foods inland of Sandy Hook in Middletown

If you're in the mood for an evening outing, The SilverBall museum in Asbury Park is a favorite of mine:
http://silverballmuseum.com/
...hundreds of vintage pinball machines on free play for a flat fee at the door.

I hope you have a good stay!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:55 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks, jerseyjen! I think I'm going to ride up to Good Karma Cafe tonight if I stop being lazy since it's only like 7 miles from my hotel. I might also give that Thai place a try since it's my fav. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Good Karma Cafe is yummy! I liked their Reuben and their gyro. I've heard their raw stuff is really good too.

Also if you're near GKC you should be close to Funk and Standard to check out the Cinnamon Snail goodies. They had creme brulee donuts today!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:17 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Does anybody remember when Kaya's Kitchen was Veggie Works - hands down, the best veg restaurant NJ has ever seen. Back then, the prices were reasonable and fair and they had that amazing all you can eat organic salad bar. The best was getting a huge salad topped with a combination of their creamy garlicy dressing and the asian vinaigrette, I DREAM ABOUT THOSE SALADS! And then you got the bread basket with that delicious raisin walnut bread with a healthy scoop of earth balance. They had amazing entrees - Enchiladas, french onion soup topped with veganrella (which was the shitaake back in the day), grilled seitan steak with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies, perogies!, and towards the end they got those chkn legs with the sticks in them which they bbqed! Holy moly, it was great. Then, afterward I'd go to Strollos and get soft serve italian ice on a cone - peanut butter italian ice with chocolate sprinkles, yess! Still, my summertime favorite.

Now, I wish I could like them, but I can't justify paying those prices when I know I can pay just about the same, and get a 5-star meal at Horizons in Philly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:25 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

xstartxtodayx wrote:
Does anybody remember when Kaya's Kitchen was Veggie Works - hands down, the best veg restaurant NJ has ever seen. Back then, the prices were reasonable and fair and they had that amazing all you can eat organic salad bar. The best was getting a huge salad topped with a combination of their creamy garlicy dressing and the asian vinaigrette, I DREAM ABOUT THOSE SALADS! And then you got the bread basket with that delicious raisin walnut bread with a healthy scoop of earth balance. They had amazing entrees - Enchiladas, french onion soup topped with veganrella (which was the shitaake back in the day), grilled seitan steak with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies, perogies!, and towards the end they got those chkn legs with the sticks in them which they bbqed! Holy moly, it was great. Then, afterward I'd go to Strollos and get soft serve italian ice on a cone - peanut butter italian ice with chocolate sprinkles, yess! Still, my summertime favorite.

Now, I wish I could like them, but I can't justify paying those prices when I know I can pay just about the same, and get a 5-star meal at Horizons in Philly.

two words: Singing Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:38 am 
Semen Strong

A new South Jersey vegan eatery has just opened! Wildflower Earthly Vegan Fare, in Millville, NJ, is affordable, very casual, and very delicious! Melissa and Eric use as many local and organic ingredients as possible. The menu changes weekly, so check their website for the latest info. http://wildflowervegan.com/

This sounds so good! Hot Italiano Cheesesteak Wrap - $4.50/7 succulent seitan sauteed to perfection with broccoli rabe &
garlic in a light cheesy sauce and your pick of veggies in a big whole wheat wrap

And Baby Butternut Cupcakes w. Vanilla Buttercream Frosting - perfection from organic butternut squash, organic
whole-grain spelt, and organic evaporated cane juice topped with melissa's famous vanilla buttercream frosting
single - $.95, 4 pk $3.50

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:45 am 
Semen Strong

Just noticed that we don't mention Kindle Cafe in Lambertville! Kindle Cafe is a “pop-up” eatery specializing in organic, locally sourced, plant-based cuisine. The chef used to work at Millennium

Menus for upcoming events are posted to the Chef’s Blog upon their conception. Event prices vary depending on menu, location, and style of service. http://kindlecafe.com/blog/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:22 pm 
Hip Goiter

Ohh I want to go to both of those!!! New Jersey transit calling my name...

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:29 pm 
Semen Strong

I think Una lives near Kindle, so if you're up for it, we could do a PPK meet-up? Otherwise I'm almost certain I'm going there on 3/11 with friends, and you're welcome to join!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I know its been mentioned.....but I just gotta say again how much I LOVE Loving Hut in Ledgewood. Sidney the owner is so nice & great, and the food is soooo freaking good. Been going once a week for lunch while working out that way. Philly Cheesesteak Sub is outta this world. They make me happy! He's trying to get the word & name out there more than it is now...and bring in non-veg people to realize that even if you aren't veg, you can love the food! I helped him set up an advertising campaign to expand to a wider audience of people in the "regular population" all over Morris County. I want them to get super busy & never go away!! Everyone go there, if you haven't been already! :)

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:03 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Thanks for the tip about Loving Hut! I'm totally checking it out when I have the chance.

Have there been any meetups lately? I need some fresh faces to talk to that are local, I'm in Morristown these days. Anybody around here?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Join Montclair Vegans! http://www.meetup.com/veganmontclair/ We're having a meet-up at our house on March 20th, and even though the waitlist is full, if you pm me I'll send you our address :) And we're going to the circus protest on Friday (http://www.meetup.com/FAUNNJ/#events), if you're up for it.

Also, definitely check out NJ Veg Social - they have awesome get togethers: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=35703438604

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next