| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2064 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:35 am 
Chip Strong

Do you ride a lot? How far do you ride? Are into gear or do you just like to pedal?

I'm currently riding about 60-70 miles a week, not really training or anything but I do ride hard on my commute (10+ miles round trip) and am going to start upping my commute mileage by getting off on at an earlier train stop a few days a week (thank you BART for allowing bikes on many trains). On the weekends I ride everywhere running errands and sometimes go for longer rides in the Marin Headlands or out to Tiburon.

I have a very old and sometimes rickety trek 1400 (I think it's from 1992) that could really use a wheel upgrade and I ride clipless most of the time.

Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:46 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

as soon as I get some new brake calipers I'm going to start riding to my classes at least 2 - 3 times a week, which would end up being about 18 miles roundtrip. when I have the free time to ride I try to do at least an hour's worth, which is 15 - 20 miles on average. I'd really like to get into distance riding and do a horrible 100 eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:09 pm 

as soon as I get some new brake calipers I'm going to start riding to my classes at least 2 - 3 times a week, which would end up being about 18 miles roundtrip. when I have the free time to ride I try to do at least an hour's worth, which is 15 - 20 miles on average. I'd really like to get into distance riding and do a horrible 100 eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:15 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Wooo biking. I mostly bike to get myself around town, but occasionally go on 20-30 mile bike rides as cross training (for running). I usually put my bike away in the winter, but I'm thinking about trying to bike through it this time. Problem is I have a road bike. Maybe the snow will pad my falls better?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:15 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i commute around town in a trek 1000sl.
i have a madone too for long rides.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:16 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just rode up and down my alley for ten minutes. I am hard core.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I do about 45 km on an average week. That's school, groceries, and yoga etc.

I'm hoping to expand that by making my 'To school' route longer by about 7km, and then maybe biking outside of going places... I'm trying to make up for no longer getting 50km in on the weekends (SERIOUSLY. Two 12.x km rides a day back to back to get to work). Rain or shine... ._. Maybe I should just do that on the weekends...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:19 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I ride my bike all over town, but Bellingham is pretty small so I don't generally go too far unless I'm touring. I rode 15 miles to go to trivia this evening, but I cheated and got a ride home since it was dark. I have a Trek 520 from the 80s and I love it!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:03 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Somehow I did 3000km this summer, just cycling to different farmers markets and the woods. I was consistently doing ~300km per week. Now school's in session and I have a lot of thesis work to do. I'm down to barely 70km per week, and miss the exercise and long time in the woods.

When I move to the Netherlands in February, I'll buy a l33t bike, but for now I"m borrowing one from a friend. It's a pretty ordinary, "nothing special" supermarket-style bike which could use a new chain and chain gears, but dudes, she's been so amazing. I've put almost 7000km on her this year, and the previous two she was used at all! That's love.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:38 am 
Nailed to the V

I do about 7-8 miles a day for my daily commute plus getting around for fun on weekends. I normally do about 30 miles on Saturday or Sunday morning. 3 Weeks ago I did a 62 mile/100km ride around Baltimore and two weekends ago I did the Sea Gull century ride (100 miles) from Salisbury University in Maryland to Assateague Island and back.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:16 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I love biking! I've really missed it over the last 10 months. I'm bringing one to North Carolina when I get home.

When I'm home I bike to and from work most days (15 miles round trip), with a 30-ish mile ride on the weekends. I have a Townie, a Cannondale road bike, a Cannondale mountain bike, and some random mountain bike as a back up. Due to goat's heads, I had to get crazy tires or I got 2 or 3 flats a day. Riding primarily the roadbike helped as well, since less tire=less chance of hitting goat's heads.

The best (and longest) ride Mr. Invictus and I did was the Seattle to Portland ride. SO much fun!

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:26 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My commute is my favorite part of my day! Though we just moved so it's much shorter (3-4 miles depending on route). I bike everywhere in town and try to get out on longer rides when I can (my 'long' is about 25 miles right now). I have a Surly Cross Check. We're planning to do bike tours in the next few years so I need to start riding more. My partner is a bike mechanic and has a fleet of bikes so he really got me into it. I'm on the hunt ride now for a ratty mountain bike to make into a winter commuter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:02 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Imitation Of Chris wrote:
Do you ride a lot? How far do you ride? Are into gear or do you just like to pedal?

Everyone is talking about commuting so I don't know if I fit in here! (I work in my living room.) Previously I was biking locally to yoga and the post office and grocery, but I had surgery last spring and I've done less commute-y type riding. That said, I do ride for fitness aiming toward 100 or so miles a week. A quick training ride mid-week; longish ride on Saturdays and recovery-type ride Sundays.

And, if it ever stops raining, mountainbike rides tossed in for fun, wildlife viewing and variety.

I love my bicycles!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

My bicycles are my main source of transportation. I have a Cannondale road bike, an Eight Inch fixed gear bike and a Haro mountain bike. I love them all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:14 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm here! Two and a half metric centuries under my belt, I'm an avid cyclist who is returning to both distance and commut-ish cycling after an absence. I have my beater mtb, which is good for leaving @ BART stations, and my roadie, which could use some fresh air.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:05 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I commute 9.5 miles round trip a day. Nothin' too hardcore, and I don't even have a nice bike, but it's usually the best part of my day!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:04 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I love being on my bike. I had a little break from it over the summer but have been riding more now that the weather's cooled off. This past Wednesday my boyfriend and I rode around Lake Tahoe...72 miles with a couple of good climbs. It was so beautiful and fun. Today a friend and I met up to ride up Donner summit (of the famous Donner party), which is a few mile climb overlooking Donner Lake. The out-and-back is about 40 miles. Again, super beautiful. I love climbs that result in looking out over a gorgeous lake! I forgot how much I enjoy riding.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:50 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I commandeered a 9 year old bike from storage that was about to get demolished. Pumped the tires back up and tried riding it to work and back, which is only about 3 miles one way.. but holy crepe it was rough, I don't remember biking to be that difficult, and then I noticed the front wheel was all bent..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Wyvern wrote:
I commandeered a 9 year old bike from storage that was about to get demolished. Pumped the tires back up and tried riding it to work and back, which is only about 3 miles one way.. but holy crepe it was rough, I don't remember biking to be that difficult, and then I noticed the front wheel was all bent..

Omg you're saying my worst nightmare. (That my bike tires will bend)

I came *THEIIIIISSSSS* close | | <- that's how close I came, to buying two old vintage bikes for 65$ and fixing them up just in case my current bike quits... I'm still kicking myself for not doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:18 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I would bike more if I lived further from work, as it is, my commute is 4.2 miles a day, round trip. But for the first time, I went almost everywhere on my bike this summer. I haven't bought gas since march. Excepting the day I got doored, I've loved every second of it, and for the 3 days I couldn't access my bike this summer, due to an unlockable door, I was sad. I am going to try to ride through the Chicago elements this winter, we'll see how it goes. anyone with any winter riding tips?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:26 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

i love bikes! right now, the only bike i have working is my GT mountain bike which is totally useless for anything except riding around. due to the frame design, i can't mount a rack so my panniers are useless right now. my touring bike got stolen a couple years ago and luckily i had taken my bags and rack off it for some reason before it got stolen. i have a handful of other bikes that are needing repair and i just haven't gotten around to fixing them yet.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:42 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I ride about 40 miles a week as part of my commute to work, and then do a few hours of mountain biking on the weekend. Same bike. I know it's not ideal for the road, but it gets to work and back for free!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:50 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I ride everywhere I go, between 10 and 30 miles a day. Have a Trek 520 that I love very much. But in the past few weeks, I've really slacked on taking longer rides just for exercise.
Also, this summer someone gave me their cast-off, single-speed mountain bike for icy winter riding. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:45 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I have a Miyata roadie, from 1980-something. I've converted it to a fixie, and I ride both for pleasure and transportation- no car. I like to get in at least 20 miles a day-- hopefully more, though sometimes, weather-prohibiting, I get regrettably less. So..I'd say I average about 140 miles a week?

I love my bike more than I love most people.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2064 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 83  Next