| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need a name for my vegan muffin Co. Already have one but..
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:02 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

There's a sort of farmers' market here in Tijuana where people sell local foodstuff and handmade products.
I've been thinking about having a stand there, because I really want people to know more about veganism -vegan food, mostly-.
I'd sell cupcakes, fruity healthy-ish muffins, small cakes and probably cookies.

I already have a name, but my boyfriend doesn't like it and since he's the one helping me with the logo design (and everything else, like getting the stand in the FM) I feel a bit uncomfortable. I consider him part of this, even if he's not baking anything, I appreciate his moral and designing help a freaking lot.

The name is Better Off Cake (like better off dead). I'm not sure the name makes sense but I like it and he doesn't think it's a proper name since we're in México and not in an English speaking country. Also, he says that it would be better if the name had something to do with veganism. I'd use a name like Dulce Compasión (sweet compassion xD) or something, but that's too cheeesy, haha.
I don't think it's a big deal, as long as my costumers are happy, doing something for the animals and returning for more : (

WWTPPKD?

Post subject: Re: I need a name for my vegan muffin Co. Already have one b
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:06 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i like Better Off Cake, but I also think Dulce Compasión is cute. Maybe it's a little cheesy, but it's good. I don't know what would sell better, but I think the second name does a good job of making it about veganism with out being too in-your-face about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I think you're both kinda right. Neither one's bad but his might be too cheesy and yours might not make enough sense.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:27 pm 

Yeah, you're right ijdi. I think I'll go with that one.
Though, I should probably state in my mission a reason of choosing that name, just to make it sound less cheesy : p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:31 pm 

vegimator wrote:
I think you're both kinda right. Neither one's bad but his might be too cheesy and yours might not make enough sense.

Oops, I read your reply after clicking submit.

Ok. I'll give it another thought!
And suggestions are welcome, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:35 am 
One Trick Dick

Dos Manos por Vida!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:34 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

There is a sweet shop here in Sao Paulo called Oh Dolce, the (dear departed) vegan restaurant was called Recanto Verde, and most of the vegetarian restaurants have names that sound greeny-- chlorella, sorella, vita, etc. I don't know about mexico, here anything with english is considered a bit fancy, or at least pretentious (like american restaurants with french menus). The "normal folk" have no idea how to pronounce the words, and often feel a bit put-off by businesses with foreign name, and tend to call the businesses "the japanese mechanic" or "the german cafe" or whatever instead of using the names. Maybe that's just a brazilian thing.

Is it actually "better off torta" or "mejor torta" or actually "better off cake"? (pardon, i'm having a crappy english day, and my other languages aren't doing too well either). Better off ___ is something a bit complicated that even an experienced student of english probably won't understand, chic-ness aside, in which case your witty name is sort of wasted.

i guess my Inner Trump is the real thing- who are your clients? if they're locals you want a name that they can easily share and pass on by word of mouth- if it's "dulce vida" or even "torta viva" or something like that it'll get shared more easily than if it's in a language they don't speak comfortably.

PS I'm dying to know, how do you say muffin in Spanish??? Here "muffin" means cupcake, and nobody can make a good muffin (except for me).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:25 pm 

torque wrote:
There is a sweet shop here in Sao Paulo called Oh Dolce, the (dear departed) vegan restaurant was called Recanto Verde, and most of the vegetarian restaurants have names that sound greeny-- chlorella, sorella, vita, etc. I don't know about mexico, here anything with english is considered a bit fancy, or at least pretentious (like american restaurants with french menus). The "normal folk" have no idea how to pronounce the words, and often feel a bit put-off by businesses with foreign name, and tend to call the businesses "the japanese mechanic" or "the german cafe" or whatever instead of using the names. Maybe that's just a brazilian thing.

Is it actually "better off torta" or "mejor torta" or actually "better off cake"? (pardon, i'm having a crappy english day, and my other languages aren't doing too well either). Better off ___ is something a bit complicated that even an experienced student of english probably won't understand, chic-ness aside, in which case your witty name is sort of wasted.

i guess my Inner Trump is the real thing- who are your clients? if they're locals you want a name that they can easily share and pass on by word of mouth- if it's "dulce vida" or even "torta viva" or something like that it'll get shared more easily than if it's in a language they don't speak comfortably.

PS I'm dying to know, how do you say muffin in Spanish??? Here "muffin" means cupcake, and nobody can make a good muffin (except for me).

Yeah, some names can sound pretentious : (
There's a natural foods restaurant/store in Mexico City called The Green Corner.
I've never heard anybody say the name, but I think some call it La Esquina Verde, because it's easier.

And yes. My clients will be local!
Torta Viva sounds funny, hehe. I know torta means cake in other countries, but for me, it's a kind of sandwich : p

Aaanyway. Thanks for taking the time to reply!!
I still like Better Off Cake, but if it doesn't make sense or some won't be able to pronounce it, I'll be happy to change it : D

Do you want to know how do we call muffins? Well, err...muffins, haha.
Or panquecito. But panquecito or quequito, applies to cupcake as well. So, if I'm referring to a cupcake, I just call it cupcake or panquecito. If I'm referring to a muffin, I call it muffin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:45 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I really like Dulce Compasión. It's cute and when you say it, it kind of sounds like Dulce Con Pasión (sweet with passion) which also sounds like a good title.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:29 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Dulce Vida!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:27 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Thanks panquecito!!!! aside from pretentious dopey types, we call them "bolinhos" when i bring cupcakes and muffins to the shop or to family gatherings. And if i ever had a muffin thing I'd call it "bolo querido" - "dear cake"!

(torta isnt cake for us either--- it's more like a pie, usually filled with some poor critter.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:29 pm 
Just posting opinions on the internet

How about 'Muff Divers'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:11 am 

We went for Better Off Cake!
I know, I know...but Dulce Compasión looked weird in the logo and like it had a million letters.
Anyway, we're starting this Sunday : D I'm so excited!

Everybody's taking the vegan thing (and the name : p) really well, except for a guy that made really stupid comments regarding veganism.
We blocked him and he could still comment on one of our photos, until my boyfriend asked (told) him via message to stop being an asparagus.
I got pissed off, this guy apologized and everything was cool again : )

Here's our facebook profile in case you want to see it or add us. Thanks for all your suggestions : D!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:20 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Good luck!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:27 am 

Thank you, panda : )!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:27 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I added you on FB! I like the logo!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:23 pm 

Yay! Thanks for adding us : D

Daaamn, you guys! I'm so forking excited. I never thought we would get such a good response!
We we're supposed to be selling from Noon to 7 PM, people started buying approximately at 2 and we ran out of muffins at 3 PM.
If everything goes well, our stuff will be available at small coffee shops (just a few) and at a veggie restaurant that will open soon.

!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:37 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Wow! Enhorabuena, the design and the stall in general is so cute!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:50 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Proud of you!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:33 am 
Keepin' It Seal

andi_vert wrote:
Yay! Thanks for adding us : D

Daaamn, you guys! I'm so forking excited. I never thought we would get such a good response!
We we're supposed to be selling from Noon to 7 PM, people started buying approximately at 2 and we ran out of muffins at 3 PM.
If everything goes well, our stuff will be available at small coffee shops (just a few) and at a veggie restaurant that will open soon.

!!

Wow, that's fantastic! I'm so excited for you! Congrats!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:22 am 
Seagull of the PPK

how lovely!!!!

can i ask you, how easy is it for you to get agave nectar there? (just curious)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm 

Thanks again : D!!
It really means a lot to me, even if you guys can't buy stuff, hehe : ) Your words have a greater value ; )
torque wrote:
how lovely!!!!

can i ask you, how easy is it for you to get agave nectar there? (just curious)

It should be easier, since many brands produce their agave nectar in Mexico.
As far as I know, you can't get it at regular supermarkets, but I've bought a few bottles at a small health food shop/bakery that's near my house (they have 32 OZ. bottles of Bragg's ACV!).
It's more expensive down here. Ridiculous!
So, I've been buying the two bottle packages at Costco in San Diego.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:58 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

andi_vert wrote:
It should be easier, since many brands produce their agave nectar in Mexico.
As far as I know, you can't get it at regular supermarkets, but I've bought a few bottles at a small health food shop/bakery that's near my house (they have 32 OZ. bottles of Bragg's ACV!).
It's more expensive down here. Ridiculous!.

yeah, we can't get a lot of the stuff that supposedly is produced here. raw cacao nibs? never heard of em. organic coffee and sugar until recently was only exported (now it's availablt and wicked expensive, though local). agave, never seen it. neither yacon or maca or most of the stuff we hear about in the US.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

That is fantastic! I think your logo is really cute and the muffins look delicious! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I love the logo! Good luck with your business!