| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crying during diaper changes & baths
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Poor Kai screams bloody murder almost every time we change him and give him a bath. I always try to keep any body parts I'm not working on covered so he stays warm - and warm the wipes up in my hand - but still, he cries and cries.

Have any experienced parents out there found a way to stop it?!?

Post subject: Re: Crying during diaper changes & baths
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:23 pm 
Grandfathered In

Aubade wrote:
Poor Kai screams bloody murder almost every time we change him and give him a bath. I always try to keep any body parts I'm not working on covered so he stays warm - and warm the wipes up in my hand - but still, he cries and cries.

Just wait. He'll move on soon enough.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

Aubade wrote:

How old is Kai? You may try warm sponge baths instead of a dip in water and perhaps get a wipe warmer? Sometimes it is something you just have to wait out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Una wrote:
Sometimes it is something you just have to wait out.

Too true. The good thing is when they are as young as Kai phases don't last that long (though it will probably feel like forever).

Last edited by ismloveyoubobbybrown on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yep, probably gotta wait it out. Silas hated baths until he was sitting up on his own, then loved them and has ever since. He loved diaper changes until he started walking and then hated them for awhile. Crazy phases.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Una wrote:
How old is Kai? You may try warm sponge baths instead of a dip in water and perhaps get a wipe warmer? Sometimes it is something you just have to wait out.

He's only 15 days old. So I am just doing warm sponge baths because his cord hasn't fallen off yet. I thought about a wipe warmer...but maybe I do just need to wait it out. Its amazing how loud a 15 day old can cry!! *sigh*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:28 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yeah, I don't think it's you! Sorry to hear it, though, and I hope he gets over it soon!

We didn't bathe the Emperor a whole lot at that age because he didn't love it and it was freaking cold out too. There were a couple parts of the bath he did like... having water poured on his head, for one... and we would do those parts every couple of days and then just sponge the rest of him off as fast as possible.

Someone told me to sing a particular song during diaper changes (ours was Little Bunny Foo Foo) and I remember that seemed to help. I think he was mostly confused by it, but whatever works, right?

And congrats again on having your baby, by the way!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:16 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm with everyone who says its just a phase. But yep it is a LOUD phase for sure. What helped with diaper changes for us was having a toy/stuffed animal that played music (in our case Twinkle Twinkle Little Star) on hand that we would place next to her every time we changed her. It seemed to help distract and also to make the diaper change into a more fun routine I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

He'll grow out of it. Until then, you'll get super fast doing his baths and diaper changes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

Aubade wrote:
Una wrote:

He's only 15 days old. So I am just doing warm sponge baths because his cord hasn't fallen off yet. I thought about a wipe warmer...but maybe I do just need to wait it out. Its amazing how loud a 15 day old can cry!! *sigh*

God, I'm probably going to sound like SUCH a horrible parent for this, but at 15 days old, it's okay to wait a while to bathe a babe. I only ever washed under chins and on the diaper area for the first month or so. It kept things quick and the areas that got puke and poop got cleaned. A wipe warmer will be good well into the toddler period, AND most of them will fit washable cloth wipes if you use them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:44 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

Una wrote:
God, I'm probably going to sound like SUCH a horrible parent for this, but at 15 days old, it's okay to wait a while to bathe a babe.

Adding my confession: I only "spot-cleaned" Willow until the stump fell off. Now I give her a bath once a week. Nothing bad's happened so far.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:47 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

one of the best things i learned to do with a newborn was to fill the tub up really full and as warm as i found comfortable, and take the baby in with me. i think most people make baby baths not warm enough and not deep enough, which makes them cold and angry. tzippy hated the first couple of baths she got at the hospital, but loved getting in the bath with me once we were home. i don't think we had to wait for the stump... just dried it carefully afterwards (i can't really remember, but the midwife suggested doing it as soon as we got home, and she was only 2 weeks old i think?). the other plus is that postpartum mamas need long soaks too, so it's a win win. it's also awesome for promoting breastfeeding. tzippy really seemed to relax and enjoy floating in the warm water, and always nursed really well after.

as for diapers, just get faster! i don't think that screaming stage lasts too long though. warm water on the wipes does help, as does low lighting and something to look at.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:53 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Hey, we don't have to feel guilty about not washing our newborns much. (Notice I said we washed the Emperor occasionally. He lived!) It's not like they do a lot to get themselves dirty.

We still only wash the kid two or three times a week, and it's only more frequent now because a) he gets REALLY dirty now and b) he's figured out that he really likes to sit in his baby bathtub on the shower floor while I shower. Actually, he will open the door to the shower and go in there and play just throughout the day if I let him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:03 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Emma cried for both diaper changes and baths when she was that young! She still whimpers when I lay her down to change her diaper but it's because she wants to sit up. I usually had to sing to her that young. Now, I just give her a toy to busy her hands and her mind so she doesn't think about Mommy wiping around her goods!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

Hapax Legomenon wrote:
Una wrote:
God, I'm probably going to sound like SUCH a horrible parent for this, but at 15 days old, it's okay to wait a while to bathe a babe.

Adding my confession: I only "spot-cleaned" Willow until the stump fell off. Now I give her a bath once a week. Nothing bad's happened so far.

Glad I'm not the only one willing to admit that, not that it's horrible or anything!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:28 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i will admit to not doing much cleaning of my son when he was very young, but around three weeks, i started getting into the tub and putting him on my belly for baths- just water, no soap or anything, but it did wonders for soothing him (and helped him settle down and nurse when he was upset when i got home from class/teaching).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:04 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I have a question about bathing with newborns: aren't they likely to pee/poop in the bath, thereby making both of you dirtier than you were to begin with?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i really stuck with a spot clean only policy for a pretty long time, as well.

i've seen a lot of pee in the tub, but he's only pooped once and that was actually when he was quite a bit older.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:59 pm 

mittenmacher wrote:
I have a question about bathing with newborns: aren't they likely to pee/poop in the bath, thereby making both of you dirtier than you were to begin with?

yeah, i'm sure he peed when i bathed with him, but i never noticed a poop when he was younger. Actually, at 16 months, he bathes by himself and i have gotten our first bathtub poops in the past week. Yippee.

eta: at first his poops were linked to feedings- boob in, poop out. about the end of a long nursing session or 10 mins after a shorter one- diaper change. As he got older this lessened.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:27 pm 

mittenmacher wrote:

Possibly! My first daughter pooped in the tub all the time. The second has yet to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have actually only been giving him a bath every few days- so he's had maybe 3 or 4 since we came home. I mostly just use water, just a little soap on the diaper area.

Since reading this I tried putting a wind up stuffed turtle that plays a song in the changing table. It seems to help a little but he still cries. Hopefully this phase won't last too long!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:25 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We had this thing that hung over the changing area that had a mirror on the bottom of it plus some bell type things and that completely changed our diaper changing experience when Reno was a few weeks old. She loved that thing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:53 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I often cried while changing diapers, but eventually I got over it. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself, it was just sitting there!)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:06 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The only time the Emperor's pooed in the bath was like, last month. So like 11-12 months old. No idea why he didn't do it when he was younger.