once per day 37%  37%  [ 26 ]
every other day 16%  16%  [ 11 ]
less frequently than every other day 24%  24%  [ 17 ]
other 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 70
 Post subject: litter box poll
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:18 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i'm wondering if we are the outliers i think we are in this regard. with my last cats, i had to clean their box multiple times a day or risk having my bed peed on in protest, so i just got into the habit of doing it for Thomas too.

then, when i got pregnant, my partner started cleaning the box, but he hates doing it, so it usually only got cleaned once a day, with a couple every other days in there when he "forgot". we switched to a corn based litter instead of clay a while ago, and i have now discovered that he seriously does not seem to care how infrequently his box is cleaned. i think the corn litter feels drier to him, and we often go for 2 or 3 days between cleanings. it seems wrong to me, but he doesn't seem annoyed at all, and really the box looks pretty good when i scoop it out.

is this really weird? could it be that with eating mostly high quality wet food, he just isn't pooping as much as my kibble eating old cats were?

Post subject: Re: litter box poll
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm just paranoid about facing the wrath of a tidy cat if we don't clean it once a day. I'm usually forced to in the morning anyway since little bits of our wheat litter is all over the tile anyway. Might as well do everything at once.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:47 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I aspire to once a day but often it's every other day. If I wait any longer Marta gets annoyed and pees on the bathroom rug.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:06 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

4 cats and 1 (very big) litter box= scooping once a day. Not because they care, they've never done a retaliatory poop or pee, but for the sake of human olfactory senses.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:13 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

My cat only uses the litter in winter and I used to clean it every day but then she got worms! So now I'm more vigilant and scoop poop as soon as I see it and clear the whole tray out and disinfect twice a week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We aim for once a day, though we may miss a day here or there if things are busy, so we probably average 5-6 times per week. (1 cat)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

mel c wrote:
We aim for once a day, though we may miss a day here or there if things are busy, so we probably average 5-6 times per week. (1 cat)

That's how I am too, but I have 2 cats. They don't seem to care, but my nose cares if I miss more than a day!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Usually every other day. I just have one cat and as long as there's plenty of litter in the box, skipping a day between scoopings usually isn't a problem.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:24 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

It's about every 3rd day, poop is scooped every day and litter changed and tray washed about twice a week, more if needed. He has a low sided tray out in his run and because he can't really squat any more he usually pees out over the side. Dirty wee sod poops out there on the flagstones too so that needs to be gathered up as often as I'm able too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have two cats, and two boxes that get cleaned out every day. They get cleaned out more if I want to watch a movie in the basement and someone has been particularly stinky.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:17 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Probably ever other day. He doesn't seem bothered, but it makes me gag/throw up every time I do it so sometimes doing it every day is just too much for me to cope with.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

interrobang?! wrote:
sometimes doing it every day is just too much for me to cope with.

guh, same. ghostface retaliates by peeing on the floor. i should really be more vigilant.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I scoop two or three times a day (morning when I get up, evening when I get home, and usually once more before I go to bed). I have multiple cats and multiple boxes (but not N+1). I have no retaliatory pee-ers or poopers. I do have a couple of cats who love to hop in the box as soon as I've finished scooping, so I'm sure that I'm doing something that they like.

I feel scooping is on the same level as flushing -- I don't use the toilet without flushing, and I think that the cats appreciate using a box that is clean and without clumps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I dont have a cat anymore but when I did, it was every other day. sometimes it went an extra day and soemtimes when I was cleaning anyway it got done everyday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:34 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

HandsInTheDirtAgain wrote:
My cat only uses the litter in winter and I used to clean it every day but then she got worms! So now I'm more vigilant and scoop poop as soon as I see it and clear the whole tray out and disinfect twice a week.

Is she an outdoor cat in the warmer months? Having a dirty cat box wouldn't give her worms, because it's her own feces in the box and she's not going to give herself a parasite she doesn't already have. (That sounded stupid out loud, but you know what I mean.)

It's far more likely that she's eating things she's hunting outside that are infected with worms and ingesting the eggs, where they're hatching in her intestines. The best way to make sure your kitty doesn't get any parasites--especially things like worms, which can be pretty nasty-- is to keep her inside. Letting her roam also puts her at risk for deadly diseases like FIV and feline leukemia, not to mention the obvious dangers of cars and wild predators.

Inside cats are healthier and live longer lives across the board.

</soapbox>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

Once a day usually - two cats, each has a litterbox, although one tends to be used more than the other. The lesser used one always once a day (the younger cat's regular box) and the more used one (the older cat's box), I tend to monitor more regularly as my older kitty uses it exclusively and I monitor his poo and pee so I'm in there checking a couple of times a day. My little one goes in there too to mark his "territory" here and there so that's why it tends to be used more. But once a day, minimum for me, to scoop litters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:52 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Poop gets scooped as soon as it shows up. The pee usually gets scooped every other day or whenever I'm taking out the trash.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:33 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'm in the UK, cats go outside here.
I'm also isolated rural, no roads, no animals in the UK that could eat her, no idiots who think it would be fun to shoot at her or put her in a bin :P
Besides she's 13, tellikng her she has to live inside now wouldn't go down well ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:44 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Multiple times a day. I use that flushable cat litter and it does not protect me from the stink. Also, bran pees a lot and I find it best to remove the clumping type of litter often or the box ends up just one big clump. I think the stuff I use is corn based.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:04 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

We have five boxes and three cats. Three cats who don't care how often, if ever, you clean their boxes. We do a full dump a couple times a week of their two favorite boxes. The others I'll scoop when needed in conjunction with dumping their favorites (one of which is never. They don't like using the upstairs box).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:00 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have 2 cats and one small litter box, it's all I could fit in our new place. I have to clean it at least twice a day. It's actually more like 3 cats since the volume of pee & poop that one of them produces is insane, plus he never covers up his poop! If I don't get to the box after one of his poops, the whole apartment will stink.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:19 am 
Baking In The Flavor

multiple times a day, we have 6 cats. we use the pine pellets. get them in the form of "horse bedding" from the cowboy store (we live in texas) and it's about $6 for a 40 pound bag. lasts about a month for the 6 kitties!

this stuff is identical to feline pine. just fyi.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:09 am 
Flounceiad 2011

amandabear wrote:
Usually every other day. I just have one cat and as long as there's plenty of litter in the box, skipping a day between scoopings usually isn't a problem.

This is what we do, too. When we have another cat visiting (we often look after a friend's kitty when he travels), we do it every day. Two cats make a [i lot[/i] more poop than one!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:34 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I grew up in a family that never scooped out the litter box, just changed it fresh every Saturday. That is what I have been doing but reading this post makes me think I should start scooping. I definitely have retaliatory urinators who like to protest when things get dirty!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:44 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

3 boxes for 5 cats. I try every day, but I admit sometimes I skip a day. 5 cats produce a lot of shiitake.