| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:09 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

linanil said she uses Cinch as a general guideline, so I'm assuming she's following their basic outline and advice on portion control rather than the recipes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm down 15 pounds since I started using Spark People in the fall. I had kind of hit a plateau, but I'm willing to bet I dropped a few pounds after being sick this week and eating nothing but soup.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:07 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The cinch guidelines are simple, and don't mention anything not easily veganized. The guidelines look pretty good: http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/diet-s ... plan-works

Definitely easy to work on a vegan diet.

(completely ignore the recipes on the site, they rely heavily on dairy.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:25 pm 
Semen Strong

starrynight87 wrote:
I'm down 15 pounds since I started using Spark People in the fall. I had kind of hit a plateau, but I'm willing to bet I dropped a few pounds after being sick this week and eating nothing but soup.

I think Sparkpeople makes me so much more mindful. Holy crepe its easy to eat 1,000 calories without even noticing, especially if you're eating out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:02 pm 
WRETCHED

marigolds wrote:
I found the Cinch book on amazon and saw a recipe for shrimp. Is there any talk of a plant-based diet in the book? I'm done with seafood. Thanks.

The author of Cinch! highly recommends a vegan diet and is a vegan herself. There are vegan recipes in the book and many others you can veganize. Yes she does have some meat/cheese/egg recipes in the book but you can ignore those. Each meal basically has a formula. You are supposed to eat 4 meals/day and 2 of the meals include veggies, grain, bean, fat and approved seasonings. The other 2 meals include fruit, grain, bean, fat and approved seasonings.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

appifanie wrote:
not eating bagels is hard! i know this. great job to both of you!

i'm 138/139 which i haven't been since i was like 3 months pregnant (my daughter is 4 1/4). this is amazing. it's mostly due to the flu, but whatever, i'll take it! so that's down 40 pounds from highest pregnancy weight and down 12-15 from where i was stuck for a long time.

high five, momma!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:30 pm 

linanil wrote:
approved seasonings.

Why are some seasonings approved, and others not?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:41 pm 
WRETCHED

Niev wrote:
linanil wrote:
approved seasonings.

I don't know if approved is really the right phrase, more like recommended. But really there are things like vinegars, any spices, etc. She has certain spices she recommends over others. She also recommends limiting salt intake.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm down 11 lbs since November on WW. I'm happy with it, but I could really do with less bread and beer.

Congrats to the rest of you!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:17 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Tofulish wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:

I think Sparkpeople makes me so much more mindful. Holy crepe its easy to eat 1,000 calories without even noticing, especially if you're eating out.

I love Spark People! I lost 11 pounds between Jan 2nd & the beginning of Feb just by tracking calories & going to the gym. I don't have scales & I don't intend to get any so I'll wait & see how much I weigh when I have my 'checking in' appointment at the gym in a few weeks. I know I'm eating healthier, I feel loads better & my jeans fit me again so I must be doing something right!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:31 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

linanil wrote:
Niev wrote:
linanil wrote:
approved seasonings.

I don't know if approved is really the right phrase, more like recommended. But really there are things like vinegars, any spices, etc. She has certain spices she recommends over others. She also recommends limiting salt intake.

I had what I can only describe as a nightmare last night after reading this that all of my favorite spices like thyme, basil, sage, etc. were adding like 5 WW points to every meal and I wanted to cry. I have weird dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:31 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I started Sparkpeople yesterday, my goal is to stick to a high-raw, mindful diet for a month to get ready for school. I want to look and feel my best!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

Me! I joined WW about a month or so ago after I saw the thread here. I've lost about 10 lbs so far and am back to my old "happy weight" but I'd really like to get down to 140. I don't have much more to get there, but it's still there to lose. I have been eating WAY too much fruit this week and need to slow down on that. I probably work it off with all of the cardio and heavy weights that I do, so it's likely not a huge deal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:50 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Hi!
I really need to get back into my diet, christmas was a disaster food-wise but I was expecting that, what I wasn't expecting was that 2 months down the line I'd still be having trouble going back to my pre christmas eating pattern. Boring old calorie counting for me, but it usually seems to work. I've got about 20 lbs to lose, though I'd be happy with 15. Really need to get myself to the gym too, saw myself in a 360 degree mirror yesterday-ARGH! My asparagus is in desperate need of some perkifying!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:27 am 

I haven't been really diligent about losing weight, but I always eat healthy and because of this thread I tried on some old clothes to see how they fit. They were slightly looser than when I last wore them. So, now I'm going to be stricter, and commit to losing about fifteen pounds. I've mostly been using AFR recipes with a few other recipes that I just modified the amount of oil.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm feeling pretty good. I went to the gym again yesterday...2 days in a row! Now I just need to make sure I make it there today for 3 in a row...if I skip once I skip for like a week, it isn't good. And I ate so much delicious food yesterday, but it was healthy! Brussel sprouts, asparagus, and cauliflower for dinner! You all are motivating me to stick to my mindfulness and I feel good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:14 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm feeling a little blue. I've been trying to lose weight since mid-September when I woke up to the fact that my BMI was creeping into the 'obese' range. I started following Jackie Warner's plan from This is Why You're Fat, but lately I've just been eating what I feel like. Usually it includes lots of whole foods that are 'healthy,' so I wasn't worrying about it too much.

Recently, I've hit a weight loss plateau though (about a month at the same weight). I guess I should be glad that I'm maintaining with what I've been eating here lately as I've been having a lot more snacks/sweets. I'm hungry all of the time and when I'm not hungry I'm still eating out of boredom.

I logged in to LiveStrong.com today, which I'm assuming is like Spark People, but I've never done Spark People; anyway, the oatmeal and toppings that I eat every day is like 700 calories. I usually do a mix of grains with half water half almond milk and cook with a banana. Then I'll add chia seeds, some nut butter, and maybe blueberries if I have them. I guess I don't need the chia seeds and the nut butter at the same time, but I don't know. This is what I've grown accustomed to, and I just feel sad.

I'm sorry to be such a downer. I think I just need to get in the gym and work up a good sweat/release some endorphins. Regardless of my body, working out makes me feel so good emotionally.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've pretty much realized I have a junk food addiction... But I've been managingabout 14-16 days between junk food events, a little longer between each one as I go. I haven't been able to consistantly keep weight off. I went from 230 to 160, but I've gained about 15 lbs since...

There's no evenness for me... I'm either really good about keeping on track or really not.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:36 pm 

Nickalya wrote:
I've pretty much realized I have a junk food addiction... But I've been managingabout 14-16 days between junk food events, a little longer between each one as I go. I haven't been able to consistantly keep weight off. I went from 230 to 160, but I've gained about 15 lbs since...

There's no evenness for me... I'm either really good about keeping on track or really not.

With the Jackie Warner plan, you could have two 'cheat meals' on the weekends. When I started to have other 'cheats' during the week, it kind of spiraled out of control. The last two months all I've been able to think about is some combination of chocolate, peanut butter, and marshmellows. So, I definitely feel you. Keep trying though! I really keep trying to remind myself how good vegetables make me feel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I need to get off the last of my baby pounds and then probably an extra 10 or 15 would be ideal. Being at home all day has been a bit bad for me because when the kid's sleeping, I make stuff - cupcakes, muffins, cookies. It's been on and off too cold to walk much, so my exercise has been spotty at best this winter. I know what I need to do to make it happen, it's just the will power that needs to happen as well! I'm not much of a dieter though, more of an exercise adder to make up for the food intake.

Does anyone find that keeping a food journal alone makes a difference for them? I'm not super keen on calorie counting and I don't have a scale, even though I do have a weight loss number in mind it's more important for me to feel good in my clothes than meet that goal. I'm hoping that maybe just keeping track of what I'm eating / drinking might help me cut down on the excess calories (on top of quitting the crazy constant baking, of course), but I'm not sure how likely that is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:09 am 

sneakers: I'm going to try to keep a food journal and count calories for a couple of days (through livestrong.com) just see about where I am with my eating. I cannot obsess over every calorie; I find that constant calorie counting triggers something inside me that makes me want to not eat, so I just say no. That being said, I think it's important to have a rough estimate. I think I've been eating over 2000 calories a day, so I've been maintaining instead of losing. I would like to lose about 11 more pounds, so I'm going to see if I can add in more veggies and fewer chocolate chips (which I've been adding to too many things!). Mmm...chocolate chips...

COUNTERPRODUCTIVE!

I just wanted to give a shout out to everyone! I think it's great that we all are really trying to be healthy and exercise. I was feeling gloomy yesterday, but I got in a good workout last night, and I woke up today in a much better mindset. While I'm no longer losing weight as quickly as I wanted to be, or have I hit my goal in the time I thought I would, I'm eating better than I ever have in my life! I have energy! I am wearing pants I haven't worn in years! And, I feel whole by making kind choices.

I guess I just wanted to give you all a big eHug and say keep up the good work!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:54 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Sneakers, I really do better when I just write down what I'm putting in...even without the calorie counter. Just because I hate seeing "bag of party sized tortilla chips and jar of salsa" or "10 mini cupcakes with extra ganache"...and then I eat better just to avoid writing it down.

3 days in a row to the gym! Today I have to go in the afternoon, but I think it will be okay. And I have tofu scramble/stirfry/thing for lunch that I'm pretty stoked for. And baby bok choy that I'm making for dinner...yum

and ndp is right, this is really awesome how well everyone is doing :) Healthy, reasonable goals and progress are really encouraging!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:44 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I'm getting really frustrated because I lose weight quite easily when I'm following WW's and exercise regularly, but lately I just haven't had time to go to the gym in any kind of recognizable pattern. It was all so easy the first two months when I didn't have school!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:50 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

I've lost about 4 lbs. I'm wearing a pair of skinny jeans that didn't fit anymore : D
but I'm eating really shitty food. That needs to stop right now!
Oh and I need to do some freaking exercise.
I get tired pretty easily again : ( I was doing so well when I did mountain-ish biking with my dad and his co-workers back in the summer : (

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:36 am 
Ninja Master

Between about July 2009 and April last year I lost about 30 pounds by using sparkpeople to calorie count and going to the gym.

I've not been counting for a while so I've put about half a stone back on, which makes me angry at myself! I can't seem to find the kick up the bum I need to get me back into the calorie counting to drop the rest of the weight. Plus I need a kick up the bum to go to the gym more often than I do.

My scales are broken at the moment so I don't know the full extent of how much I've put back on. I'm scared!

Someone kick me!!!! PLEASE!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 145  Next