| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free-range kids and related stuff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:25 am 
Grandfathered In

Everything has changed. No, really.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:26 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I wrote on the wrong thread and caught it so quickly that this is all you get to read.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:41 am 
Dead by dawn

My Little Sister took the Red Cross babysitting class at 11 or 12. And that was just a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:17 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I babysat a baby (six months old when I started) 12 hours a week over the summer when I was 14. We both survived.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I babysat a 2 year old & a 4 year old all summer, 8am-6pm mon-fri, starting when I just turned 12. Shae is turning 12 in 2 weeks, that's so hard to connect.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:48 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Fee wrote:
I really want to hear Ann M. Martin's take on this, please.

haha for reals! i remember being about 11 and wondering why the hell Jessi was allowed to stay home alone for the weekend with her baby brother and sister. I remember thinking that I'd be WAY to scared for that!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:04 am 
WRETCHED

Wow, this is amazing. I think I was 6 when I was expected to walk to/from school. Sometimes my grandma would walk me but that was rare. I also often watched after my cousins and what not. My mom took care of all her siblings from a youngish age. We were taught to walk directly to/from school, not talk to strangers, etc. Although I've had various instances where I got lost to my mom, I was never in danger.

I was recently at disney in Orlando and was amazed at how many kids were just wandering around. I was in a restaurant near the bathroom that had a somewhat hidden exit and I saw a little girl (4 or 5) heading for the door. A lady stopped her and asked her where her family was at. She shrugged. Then apparently she saw someone she knew (another child, slightly older) walking out of the bathroom back towards the restaurant so she followed her. I guess they were using the buddy system but it seemed a bit scary to me. It seems there should be a middle ground but then again, I'm not a parent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
there should be a middle ground but then again

Yes! Middle ground, please!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah, I wouldn't let my kids run around at Disney alone, but I was babysitting multiple kids at a time by 12, and my parents left me and my little sister home alone from the time I was probably 9 or 10!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

My parents' general rule was that 12 was old enough to babysit, so when my older sister was 12 and I was 9, they stopped hiring a babysitter for us when they went out for dinner and a movie at night. My sister said that she would be paid if she was taking care of a 9-year-old from another family, so she should get paid for taking care of me, and our parents agreed. I objected, saying that, when they went out, my sister and I both did pretty much the same thing at home -- watched TV, read books, played piano, whatever -- so it wasn't fair that she should get paid and I shouldn't. Apparently I was convincing enough, because we finally negotiated a deal where my sister would get paid for taking care of the house and I would get paid for taking care of myself, or something like that. (This only lasted about two years. When I was about 11, they decided that I was old enough to not need a babysitter, and so neither of us got paid.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:16 am 
Naked Under Apron

Fee wrote:
I really want to hear Ann M. Martin's take on this, please.

Best comment ever.

I remember being told a couple years ago that you couldn't have a babysitter under 16 here and being dumbfounded. But I'd heard you only get in trouble if something bad happens. This is too much.

God, I bet my neighbours would totally nark on us if we ever did that (not that my kids are old enough to be alone, but still).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:37 am 
Mediocre Tart

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
I remember being told a couple years ago that you couldn't have a babysitter under 16 here and being dumbfounded. But I'd heard you only get in trouble if something bad happens. This is too much.

God, I bet my neighbours would totally nark on us if we ever did that (not that my kids are old enough to be alone, but still).

Well, Lothian police say:
Quote:
There is no specific minimum age for a babysitter. Parents or carers must adopt a common sense policy, with the babysitter being able to look after both himself/herself and the child. Similarly, there are no legal guidelines regarding the age at which a child can be left at home alone. The rule of thumb is that the child should be able to look after himself/herself. Again, common sense should apply.

Which is rather vague... Although, it's also technically illegal to employ a child under the age of 14, so perhaps you can only let someone younger look after your kids if you refuse to pay them?!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:53 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

i live in a neighborhood where you will frequently see 5-8 elementary aged kids playing together in a front lawn with not an adult in sight.

i'm saying that's a GOOD THING. i thought that kind of thing had completely disappeared. i'm keeping the faith! me and billy joel!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:23 am 
Naked Under Apron

interrobang?! wrote:
Which is rather vague... Although, it's also technically illegal to employ a child under the age of 14, so perhaps you can only let someone younger look after your kids if you refuse to pay them?!

Lol! Thanks for the info. :D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:25 pm 
Grandfathered In

Kid suspended for holding the school door open for an adult he knew.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:07 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

FootFace wrote:

now I'm going to teach my kids to slam doors in known adults faces?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
Wow, this is amazing. I think I was 6 when I was expected to walk to/from school. Sometimes my grandma would walk me but that was rare. I also often watched after my cousins and what not. My mom took care of all her siblings from a youngish age. We were taught to walk directly to/from school, not talk to strangers, etc. Although I've had various instances where I got lost to my mom, I was never in danger.

I was recently at disney in Orlando and was amazed at how many kids were just wandering around. I was in a restaurant near the bathroom that had a somewhat hidden exit and I saw a little girl (4 or 5) heading for the door. A lady stopped her and asked her where her family was at. She shrugged. Then apparently she saw someone she knew (another child, slightly older) walking out of the bathroom back towards the restaurant so she followed her. I guess they were using the buddy system but it seemed a bit scary to me. It seems there should be a middle ground but then again, I'm not a parent.

What I try to keep in mind is what kind of world I want my kid to grow up in. I don't want him to have irrational fears and believe that there is evil under every tree. The world is really no scarier or more dangerous than it was when I was a kid and the percentage of freaks is not higher.
A friend of mine freaked out because I let friday and lycophyte take Toby out swimming in a river without me. I asked her what the hell she thought would happen. I'm certain that at least one of them (if not both) are more responsible than I am and are more athletic. You go looking for the devil and you will find him is what my grandma used to say.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:30 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

FootFace wrote:

These stories are depressing. What the hell is going on with the world?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:58 pm 
Grandfathered In

Obsessive-compulsive hysteria in a preschool.

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/obsessive-compulsive-pre-k-disorder/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:14 pm 
Semen Strong

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/2011 ... dangerous/

This NJ story was so upsetting. So apparently having trees and a pussycat are too dangerous for children

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:05 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

^Just saw that - I can't believe they have to cut the tree branches down! God forbid a kid touches a tree. What a sick society we've got.

And now, NY state thinks Wiffleball and Freeze tag are risky activities.
http://gothamist.com/2011/04/19/albany_ ... danger.php

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This stuff is just infuriating.

When I was in second grade, a group of friends and I were walking to school. I got hit by a car (well, the lady that hit me claimed I hit her car, ha!) and ended up with, thankfully, nothing more serious than getting momentarily knocked out and a badly bruised and sprained foot. Nobody said kids had to stop walking to school, nobody freaked out. Instead, my whole class got together and petitioned the city to put a crosswalk and stop sign in at that intersection (a very heavily used intersection that almost every kid within walking distance crossed to get to school). As soon as my foot was healed, my mom let me start walking to school again.

If everyone had been banned from walking to school, none of us would have learned all the interesting and useful things we did from that experience. We learned how to participate as members of our community, and we learned that we could actually change things in the world by writing some letters. At some point, we also requested and got a "duck crossing" sign put in on the road that ran by the nearby duck pond. So everybody got to walk safely to and from school/the pond.

Anyone read The Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv? These stories remind me of some of the stuff he talks about in the book. Like how many of us got into stupid situations as kids (let's build a completely unstable fort out of rusty nails and splintery boards!), survived, and even learned something from them.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:11 am 
We So Excited

Vantine wrote:
A friend of mine freaked out because I let friday and lycophyte take Toby out swimming in a river without me. I asked her what the hell she thought would happen. I'm certain that at least one of them (if not both) are more responsible than I am and are more athletic. You go looking for the devil and you will find him is what my grandma used to say.

I'm laughing at this and also horrified.
It's about the kind of world you want for your kids, but also for you. What Tofulish said about being serfs to the children. Wrapped up in that horror is the idea that you don't deserve an hour break from your kid. Mom-shaming means you should be hovering 24 hours a day, and in omniscient and omnipotent as well as omnipresent, and if something happens, well. You failed.

I'm guessing someone smarter than me could analyze all this as having to do with a backlash to feminism and women working. A way of keeping women barefoot in the kitchen in their psyches--you can go out to work, but you'd better live in fear every second, and on your time off you'd better not let the kid out of your sight.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:15 am 
Semen Strong

Friday, that is so interesting, and makes a lot of sense. Also, there are very few people smarter than you <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:33 am 
We So Excited

And here is the love fest, because I was really just riffing off what you said.

Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next