| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Color Me Vegan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:38 pm 
Saggy Butt

Location: A little cabin in the woods of the Willamette Valley
Shukriyya wrote:
Hi there! I'm a lurker, and although I find the idea of just posting "HAHA" appealing, I think I'll post something useful instead.

Recipes I've loved so far:

- Apricot Red Lentil Stew: This is delicious! I've probably already made it five times since I got the book. It reminds me of the Red Lentil and Artichoke Stew from The Vegan Table, which I love as well.
- Pineapple and Mango Chutney: first time that I tried to make chutney and it was yummy!
- Miso Fennel Ginger Soup: I don't really like fennel all that much, but it's delicious in this recipe. I threw some spinach into the soup as well, and served it with soba.
- Chocolate Cherry Cookies: Those turned out great. I drizzled the chocolate on them after I got them out of the oven, because it didn't look that pretty when I put it on beforehand. Oh, and I used an egg replacer instead of the flaxseeds, because I don't have a grinder.
- Thai Coconut Soup: I used cremini instead of straw mushrooms. This is a quick and easy recipe and it tastes great!

I really like this book. My only minor complaint is that it doesn't contain enough main dishes for my taste. I'm usually not fancy enough to bother with appetizers and stuff!

i really appreciate your review. it got me excited to check out the book, you may have sold me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:25 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

There are a couple of recipes from this book in this months Vegetarian Living and they look good, especially the beet burger.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I got this book a couple of weeks ago, and I enjoyed flicking through it. I haven't made anything from it yet though. The pictures are very pretty. I will report back when I do use it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:13 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

jojo wrote:
I just got it & I can't decide what to make either. I think I might go for the Apricot Red Lentil Stew that Shukriyya mentioned, it sounds tasty & I think I have most of the ingredients.

I'll hop on down to the bookstore to flip through it in the morning. Somewhat on a tangent: On first glance, it looks like a recipe I've been dying to make from Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (adapted from Please to the Table, if I recall correctly); so at the very least it'll inspire me to break out the pressure cooker again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

so i just got my copy and while i was flipping through i noticed in the description of the chilled blueberry mango soup it reads "enjoy this totally fat-free but filling soup..." and then in the nutritional info it says there are 12 grams of fat... anyone have any ideas why that might be?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

shanniesaysyo wrote:
so i just got my copy and while i was flipping through i noticed in the description of the chilled blueberry mango soup it reads "enjoy this totally fat-free but filling soup..." and then in the nutritional info it says there are 12 grams of fat... anyone have any ideas why that might be?

What are the ingredients?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:26 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So far I've made made the Irish Mashed Potatoes with Kale and the Swish Chard Pie. I really liked both. This week I'm eating the Cashew Cheese left from the chard pie over pasta, roasted broccoli and mushrooms. I plan on making the Chocolate Zucchini Bread sometime this week.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:50 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

shanniesaysyo wrote:

Maybe she meant oil-free? And probably the nutrition info includes the blueberry croutons, which are fried in oil. I've never seen a fat-free soy yogurt, so it can't be a fat-free recipe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:25 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

i grabbed this book at a borders sale too! i thought i wanted it because i read about it on the ppk somewhere, but i guess i was wrong..
anyway, i've made the blackberry breakfast bars. definitely tastes like dessert instead of breakfast, but good!
i just made the hot tamale pie for lunch. it was kind of fall-apart-y. a little crust on top but all liquidy on bottom so that when i scooped it out (with a ladle!) it was more like a nice chili with built in cornbread. i was out of nooch, so maybe that's what was lacking, but i got my first ever package of daiya (cheddar) and a little sprinkle made it perfect! i may even go ahead and just bake it right in next time.
curiousity propelled me to make the blueberry ketchup, but i haven't tried it yet. maybe with the carrot fries tonight?
i have the pineapple mango chutney in the fridge waiting to love on the indian black bean and veggie burritos which i'm pretty excited about.
OH and the orange pecans which are really good but not at all what i was expecting. i thought they would be sweet, but they're just a great orange-y spicy (cloves and cayenne especially) flavor.
ummmm i also got the stuff to make the nori wraps (the first time i ever actually saw a nori wrap in a store, so who knows how that will go) and oooooH blueberry croutons! i am waiting until i have the patience to batter and fry individual blueberries, but i can't wait to try them. but not on that soup. cold soup weirds me out a little. and it's a fruit soup. i'm gonna put a straw in it and call it a smoothie and have my croutons on a spring greens salad with strawberries or something.
i'm also trying tofu teryaki and kale chips and nectarine agave paninis!
probably i should've waited until i ate more of the stuff i "plan" to eat before posting. :P
anyway, so far, so good!

oh, i also agree that the writing part is lacking. not much description or personality, and a lot of repetition. i wish it were better, but as long as the food is good i suppose that's more important.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made my first two recipes from this book: the kale and grapefruit salad and lemony pan-roasted chickpeas and chard.

I made a mistake with the kale salad and didn't get all of the water out of the kale before adding the dressing. It was still good, but I'm sure not as flavorful as it was supposed to be. (I massaged the kale before making the salad because just chopping up raw kale and eating it sounded too hard to chew.)

The chickpeas were delicious. I was surprised at how good they were considering how simple the recipe was (just oil, onion, chickpeas, swiss chard and lemon with salt and pepper). I served the chickpeas with garlic bread and roasted carrots and it was a great dinner that I will definitely make again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

i made the black olive bruschetta for an all (but me) omni gathering at my folk's house. they were delicious and the hit of the party. a table full of food and it was the one tray we couldn't keep full. i've always had positive responses to my vegan treats but this was the first time that many southern omnivores were raving about something i've made.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:04 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

i just got up the nerve opportunity to try the blueberry ketchup i made last week. YUM! i may never eat regular ketchup again! i may cut the sugar a little bit, but otherwise it was a great surprise!

the indian black bean burritos and pineapple mango chutney turned out pretty good too! the chutney especially!

(rereading before submiting , i note that i! like! exclamation points! ha!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:33 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just got this cookbook a few weeks ago. It is just as incredible as the other vegan cookbooks I've gotten
So far, off the top of my head, I've made the Indian style sweet potato burritos (YUM), the Strawberries with Lavender (YUM), the Apricot Stew (YUM YUM), Something I'm totally blanking on involving sweet potatoes (the tacos?) (yummy) and last night I made the Lemony Pan Fried Chickpeas with Spinach instead of Chard. (YUM. Totally finishing that off with lunch today).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:31 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I love looking at this book, but haven't made anything out of it yet. Now I really want to try the blueberry ketchup with carrot fries, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:30 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

The Red Lentil Apricot Stew is flippin delicious! Also, I made the blackberry oat bars and they were very good too. I love this book.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:10 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I just got this cookbook and I like it better than her other cookbook already (not the baking one; the other). I've already made the Lemony pan-fried chickpeas twice, as they are my new addiction - so simple to make and simply incredible tasting! Even my picky kids love them! The tamale pie is the best I've ever had. Next on my list to make is the chocolate zucchini bread and the blueberry salsa, and that oat bread recipe.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:18 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I haven't made too much from this yet, but I just made the butternut squash soup and the creamed corn. The second is pretty basic, can't go wrong. The soup was really good, though. I'm usually not a fan, but I had 3 bowls of it. A lot of recipes try to play up the super-fall nature of it with maple syrup and stuff, but this brightened it up with orange juice and ginger and stuff and it worked really well. I'm definitely going to look into more recipes next week.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just got this over the weekend in a swap w/ zensquiggle. I made the sweet potato tacos today and really liked them. I have to flip though and mark all the things I want to try.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:26 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

We just made the cashew lentil burgers. They were soft but very tasty. The texture kind of reminded me of baked falafel. We liked them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Make the chocolate cherry cookies. They are forking amazing. You will not regret it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:35 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Man, reading through this thread really makes me want to try that apricot red lentil stew...but I can't justify another cookbook purchase...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:23 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Just made my first recipie from this one - the apricot red lentil stew. It was a winner. I am having lots of trouble feeling inspired by anything else. Are there any new suggestions out there?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

annasrobbie wrote:
Just made my first recipie from this one - the apricot red lentil stew. It was a winner. I am having lots of trouble feeling inspired by anything else. Are there any new suggestions out there?

I have the same problem. Everything I've made has been good, but nothing really stands out that much. The nori rolls with the orange cashew cream are pretty amazing, but nothing else comes to mind without pulling the book out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:14 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Things I've made and loved (I may have mentioned some of these already in this thread):

Raspberry Lemon Muffins
Carrot and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup
Pineapple Mango Chutney
Caramelized Bananas
Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Pecans
Miso Fennel Ginger Soup
Lemony Pan-Fried Chickpeas with Chard
Five-Spice Onion Soup
Chocolate Cherry Cookies
Thai Coconut Soup

There are still lots and lots of recipes I haven't tried yet. I prefer one-pot-style cooking, so the sides, appetizers and salads usually don't get much attention from me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

apricot stew w/fresh apricot....amazeballs