| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Bunneh Food?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:08 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

Everything I found at the pet store and online has D3 in it. I guess that isn't a big deal but it seems like such an easy fix. What do you feed your bunnies?

A google search for "vegan rabbit food" obviously comes up with results about how vegan food is rabbit food.

Post subject: Re: Vegan Bunneh Food?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, this is so frustrating! Actually the first food I bought for my rabbits had fish meal in it. Fish meal! I had just assumed that since rabbits are vegans, the food would be vegan, but nope. And then, like you, I found that every food in the pet store had D3. The best I could find is rabbit pellets made by a local farm. The ingredients list says "vitamin D", but doesn't specify which kind, and I figured that if there's no difference in ingredients, then I'd rather support a small local business than a huge corporation. If you find any with D2, let me know!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I can't help, but I can sympathize, since I have the same problem with gerbil and hamster food. I've finally found brands without eggs or poultry meal, but D3 is still impossible to avoid, and the internet has no information on how to make your own mix without using an existing brand as a base. I have half a mind to do a bunch of research into rodent nutrition and write up some recipes myself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:45 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

Aw, too bad!
I was surprised to see some rabbit food had fish meal in it too. I spent a huge chunk of time in the bunny aisle reading all the foods and even a couple of the organic foods had fish or something equally weird in them. What the?

Sidenote: I think the rescue made a mistake. Gnocchi appears to be a boy now. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We never fed Jack pellets, we just gave him a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, using the House Rabbit Society list of safe foods. He wouldn't eat the pellets, so we skipped it. He lived a very healthy 8-9 years, and his death was unrelated to diet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

Invictus wrote:
We never fed Jack pellets, we just gave him a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, using the House Rabbit Society list of safe foods. He wouldn't eat the pellets, so we skipped it. He lived a very healthy 8-9 years, and his death was unrelated to diet.

This. Commercial rabbits pellets are a evolution of the food they were fed when they are raised for meat. Rabbits with healthy teeth actually benefit from a pellet free diet, the majority of their daily intake should be from timothy or meadow hay and this can be supplimented with fresh herbs, rabbit safe veg and alfalafa hays and redigrass. It's very common for domestic rabbits to be overweight and this can be caused by the food you buy in pet shops and is very detrimental to their health.