| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hair ties
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Growing up I swore by Goody hair elastics, the black ones with the metal clasp thingy. Then I cut off all my hair and didn't need hair ties until recently, and it seems like all hair companies seem to think the metal clasp is some sort of torture device?

What happened? Why can't I find good hair ties? The little plastic ones were good when I had stubby pigtails, but they are too small now. The metal-free ones have little elasticity and don't wrap around tightly enough, are prone to breaking and stretching, and slip out of my hair, even the ones with the rubber "no slip" strips.

Recommendations? I have very straight, fine hair, so I think that's part of my problem. I need something that can stay in through running and other intense gym stuff. I'm down to my last two, precious Goody elastics and I'm starting to panic.

Post subject: Re: hair ties
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:12 pm 
Cranky

Scunci has these silicone-type bands that I love. They grip, but gently, and they don't pull your hair out like the metal clasp ones. They also last a lot longer for me than any other type of hair elastics.

I should add that my hair is pretty fine, and I have trouble keeping it where it's supposed to be. But these work perfectly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:32 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I love the Scunci 'no slip grips' - not sure if they are they same ones Dr. Apricot is talking about. They look like rubber bracelets and hold like a dream!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:35 pm 
Cranky

missmuffcake wrote:
I love the Scunci 'no slip grips' - not sure if they are they same ones Dr. Apricot is talking about. They look like rubber bracelets and hold like a dream!

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I have a whole pile of them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i happy to see that you guys like those. the thought of putting anything rubber band-like in my hair scares the shiitake out of me, but i'll try those. goody ouchless hair ties suck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The silicone ones are the ones I was talking about when I said plastic bands. The ones I have are maybe the size of a quarter and don't stretch wide enough for my full ponytail. Do they make bigger ones? I've only seen the small bands.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:28 pm 
Cranky

The ones I have would fit around my wrist comfortably, and they're much thicker than the ones I think you're talking about. They also grip better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i always hated the metal parts! they would always get caught on my hair and rip it out painfully!
I use ones that look like this. they break sometimes, but usually last a pretty reasonable amount of time before that happens. The keep my hair in a bun or pony tail really well with no slipping off. http://www.goody.com/#/grid/ouchless/pr ... e_elastics

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:53 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Dr. Apricot wrote:
The ones I have would fit around my wrist comfortably, and they're much thicker than the ones I think you're talking about. They also grip better.

They can double as bracelets for that cool 80s look! I like that I have used the same one now for months without it stretching out and becoming loose. I wear my hair in a low pony for bed (my hair becomes a tangled mess since I sleep on my back) and I have never had slippage!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks, Doc! I'll have to look for those. For some reason the hair section at all drugstores I visit seems to be half sold out most of the time, so perhaps I'm just missing these.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:08 pm 
Cranky

Here's a really crappy picture:

IMG_0185 by Apricot Tea, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ooh...thanks. Those are definitely different than what I was thinking of, which are small and flat and sold loose in a plastic case.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Also, if anyone ever comes across a stash of the metal Goodys in the dusty corner of a forgotten store, I will pay good money for them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:47 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

http://localoc.net/Merchant2/merchant.m ... y_Code=769
I found this at our mall (claire's) and my hair is not slipping out of it. I miss the old ones you are talking about! I have very slippery layered hair so this weird contraption is working but a little complicated.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Mel - I can drop you one in the mail this week, you will get it within a day of mailing it! Think of it as a sample! Just PM me your address. Ohh - also just to clarify - it will be brand new! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:00 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

mel c wrote:
Also, if anyone ever comes across a stash of the metal Goodys in the dusty corner of a forgotten store, I will pay good money for them.

I can get Vidal Sassoon ones with metal clasp things in Bellingham. Let me know if you want some, I just bought a pack so I can send you some.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:03 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have 3 of the quarter size Goody ones with the metal thingy if you want them, I don't use them. Slightly used. I may have a few more laying around.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

PPK to the rescue! You're all great.

Whoever designed the Goody and Scunci websites needs to have their web design license revoked.

katie - Where do you get the Vidal Sassoon ones? Drugstores or beauty supply stores?

And if anyone wants a brand new 20 pack of these (minus one or two): http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/scunci ... 51-product, let me know. I'll be more than happy to send them.

Has anyone seen these in black-only packs?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:57 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

mel c wrote:
PPK to the rescue! You're all great.

Whoever designed the Goody and Scunci websites needs to have their web design license revoked.

katie - Where do you get the Vidal Sassoon ones? Drugstores or beauty supply stores?

And if anyone wants a brand new 20 pack of these (minus one or two): http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/scunci ... 51-product, let me know. I'll be more than happy to send them.

Has anyone seen these in black-only packs?
I have those in glitter-target. don't remember if there's just black ones cause I only saw something shiny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:37 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

mel c wrote:

I'm pretty sure I got them at a grocery store. I will totally send you some if you want them though. I don't need the whole pack I just got (I'm not that big a fan of the metal part--I only put my hair in two small pigtail braids and the metal thing just seems to get in the way).

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:57 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

mel c wrote:

me!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:55 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I use Goody Ouchless ones, they don't have the metal bit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has noticed a degrade in hair elastics over the years! I've been using the Goody ouchless, but I break them all the time because my hair is really thick, so perhaps the next time I buy some, I'll try the rubber ones.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:08 am 
WRETCHED

I don't know how I missed this thread the first time. I use the fabric covered scrunchies. I've been wanting strong rubber bandy ones but couldn't find any.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:20 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

mel c wrote:
Growing up I swore by Goody hair elastics, the black ones with the metal clasp thingy. Then I cut off all my hair and didn't need hair ties until recently, and it seems like all hair companies seem to think the metal clasp is some sort of torture device?

What happened? Why can't I find good hair ties? The little plastic ones were good when I had stubby pigtails, but they are too small now. The metal-free ones have little elasticity and don't wrap around tightly enough, are prone to breaking and stretching, and slip out of my hair, even the ones with the rubber "no slip" strips.

Recommendations? I have very straight, fine hair, so I think that's part of my problem. I need something that can stay in through running and other intense gym stuff. I'm down to my last two, precious Goody elastics and I'm starting to panic.

True story, we ordered some of the ones with metal claspy things from the UK because we were sick of the glue breaking on the the little black ones.