| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Boston, MA] Let's have a bake sale!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:24 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

b.vicious wrote:
VeganFoodRocks wrote:
Raffle Items: Johnny Cupcakes? Gift Card to a veg or eco friendly store/restaurant.

More places we can ask to donate raffle items:

My Thai
Grasshopper
Peace o'Pie
Sudo Shoes
True Bistro
Pulse Cafe
Other Side Cafe
Fiore's Bakery
Cherry Bomb Bakery
Veggie Planet
Harvest Coop
Clear Conscience Cafe (attached to the Harvest on Mass Ave in Cambridge)
Red Lentil
Greater Boston Buddhist Cultural Center
Clover Food Truck
Prana Cafe
Life Alive
Addis Red Sea

To avoid having several of us contact the same place more than once, if you contact one of these places, please say so in this thread. And of course post more ideas if you have any.

Nice list! I will be in Cambridge a lot this month so I can work on those ones for sure.

Are we thinking a Saturday or a Sunday so I can give people I'm trying to get things from a better idea so they dont think we are just trying to get discounted/free goods with no real bake sale =)

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:29 pm 

b.vicious wrote:
Bake sale friends, add me on Facebook here: http://facebook.com/brandybingham

Liz, thanks for the notes! Don't forget to ask your bakery friend if they can spare any boxes. I have close to 90 gable boxes I think, which I bought from here: http://www.nashvillewraps.com/basket-su ... -kw95.html

These are good too: http://www.nashvillewraps.com/candy-box ... w0903.html

It would also be nice to have some stands for our goodies - there's something about putting cupcakes on a pretty platter that makes people want to buy more of them. If anyone knows people who has these, ask if we can borrow some!

I will try and swing by her shop this weekend. Depending on the date we chose we might be able to get some stands/baskets/platters from her(her bakery is closed on sundays). I have some pretty platters and I think my brothers gf has some cupcake stands I might be able to snag as well.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:36 pm 
ugh

Sunday will probably be better because then we'll have all day Saturday to bake!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:01 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ndpittman wrote:
ALSO, the place that I was thinking about in Porter by Sudo Shoes is called Greenward. No 'ever' in the title at all. It was probably brain fog... :)

I could have sworn it have 'ever' in the name as well. I like Greenward, they have neato stuff.

I'm good for either a Saturday or Sunday bake sale.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I like the logic of the sunday bake sale. I'm guessing foot traffic wouldn't be too different between the two days, so i say we go for it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:29 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I have an attractive pink ceramic cake stand, but we could totally just set cupcakes on it. I would want it far from a table edge, though, as it was a birthday present and I rather like it.

I'll see if I can come up with some more location ideas. I think outside the CVS on Newbury is a good idea--that's definitely a high traffic area! Trident would also be great.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:23 pm 

I let Helen and Steve know that the proceeds from our bake sale would be going to them, they are sooo excited. Now that the weather will be getting nicer they will be organizing some work days for volunteers to come down and help out with things like painting the barn and stuff. They usually have a big potluck(all vegan) afterwards and people are welcome to pitch tents and party it up at night(not required). They would love to have us all come down to meet the animals, help out and of course, eating tons of vegan food. If anyone is interested let me know. They are an hour and a half outside of Boston so we would def have to drive. I don't know who else has a vehicle but I can fit 4 people in mine.

Also, if we are thinking of outdoor locations we should really get in contact with the cities asap to see what we need to do to get a permit!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:32 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I am def down for the trip out to the Sanctuary so please keep me posted! Are we still set on a location in Harvard square and just narrowing it down to a spot there or are other locations being considered as well? If it is in Harvard square will we be trying to get a hold of the veg group at Harvard to notify them?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:52 pm 

I'm not sure. I like the Harvard and the Newbury ideas. If it is at Harvard we should def get ahold of the veg group so they can spread the word. Ive been told Cambridge is very slow at permits so if we want one for April/May we should apply now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:04 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I would definitely be interested in heading out to the Sanctuary, but I don't think necessarily camping out (I can get myself dirty, but I think afterward I would want a nice hot shower). I, too, have a car and I'm willing to transport. I can take 3-4 people comfortably.

I will look at the City of Boston site later; I'm not sure of where to even go about getting a permit for something like that though? Is that the correct direction? I'd like to help however I can, but I am most definitely a n00b.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:05 pm 
ugh

This is the Harvard Vegetarian Society: http://harvardveg.webs.com/

And here are Cambridge permits: http://www.cambridgema.gov/permitsandapplications.aspx

The whole outdoor permit thing is looking a little complicated so I'm going to look for indoor options in Cambridge, too.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:17 pm 

This one doesnt seem to complicated, would we qualify for this?

http://www.cambridgema.gov/permitsandap ... ublicareas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If you're thinking Harvard, maybe at the Mayfair in Harvard Square? There's always zillions of people there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:30 pm 
ugh

bap wrote:
If you're thinking Harvard, maybe at the Mayfair in Harvard Square? There's always zillions of people there.

Good idea! That's on May 1, the last day of WWVBS. Info & applications here: http://www.harvardsquare.com/Home/News/ ... line!.aspx

The form for "vendors with food" is.. long. I don't know if a bake sale falls under this category, though - if prices are listed as "suggested donation" then we're not exactly selling food. There is a phone number if someone would like to call and ask (I can't at work): 617-491-3434.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:54 pm 

Do you think we'd be able to get in under the non-profit price?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:29 pm 
ugh

I don't think we would qualify if we raise funds for Sunny Meadow since it is a private sanctuary (not nonprofit).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:47 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Are we doing the "suggested donation" thing? I thought we were going with the price-per-box idea. Or something else?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:55 am 

I am torn on doing a suggested donation or having set prices. I do also like the price per box idea too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:39 am 
ugh

They aren't really two different things. You can say, "suggested donation: $10 per box" or whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:56 am 

Right but if people only want to buy a cookie or two and not an entire box should we have a set price for those?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:16 am 
ugh

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
Right but if people only want to buy a cookie or two and not an entire box should we have a set price for those?

Sure. The box thing would be for people who buy a bunch of stuff, to save us from having to count. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:24 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I think that makes sense, individual prices and also a flat rate per box. I like!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:00 pm 

Okay so I just called the Harvard Sq people about Mayfair, the guy I talked to loves the idea and knows the people attending the event would be very receptive to our vegan goodies and our cause but because we would be bringing already prepared food to the event it would need to be prepared in a ServSafe Certified kitchen and we would need to provide documentation of that. He said that Cambridge is "very uptight" when it comes to serving food to the public and even if we were to hold a bake sale on a random day not associated with a big event there would be a lot of hoops to jump through. So, does anybody have any connections to places with a kitchen that is certified, like a community center or something? Or it might be back to the drawing board for us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:28 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Husband in the Exec Chef at a Food Safe Certified Kitchen and certified himself. We would all have to bake everything there though? How would we document that? I could probably work something out with him, bribe him with sexual favors if need be, but all of us in his kitchen makes me nervous to ask him about it. I know it can't hurt to ask though of course. Details, please?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:38 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
Husband in the Exec Chef at a Food Safe Certified Kitchen and certified himself. We would all have to bake everything there though? How would we document that? I could probably work something out with him, bribe him with sexual favors if need be, but all of us in his kitchen makes me nervous to ask him about it. I know it can't hurt to ask though of course. Details, please?

Basically they(the harvard sq people and/or the city of cambridge) would contact the location that the food was prepped at to make sure there are no violations, reports, etc etc. And I think they will need copies of all the ServSafe certificates. I mean, if we wanted to be sneaky we could say everything was prepared there but I wouldn't want someone to put their asparagus on the line and risk getting them or any of us into trouble.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next