| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Boston, MA] Let's have a bake sale!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:57 pm 
ugh

Thanks for calling, Liz.. but yikes, that doesn't sound good. At last year's bake sale, we were able to get a ton of support from people from various veg*n groups, including some who just dropped off stuff and left because they couldn't make much of a commitment. Even if we could get the kitchen, people would not be able to participate on a small scale - either bake a ton of stuff in this kitchen on a certain day or don't bake at all. I'm afraid we'd end up with like 4 of us trying to bake everything for the whole event. :(

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:06 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Yeah, I agree. It sucks because it seems like Mayfair would have been perfect. Boooo

ETA: okay it looks like we are back to square 1. Let's get some more ideas going on locations!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:17 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Good point; I will talk to him tonight and see if we can work something out. Maybe we can go early on the Saturday before to make everything and then spend some time afterward drinking beers. I mean, why does he have that job if it can't in some way benefit me. :-D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:31 pm 

Also: I am buying myself this shirt, you girls should too!

http://www.herbivoreclothing.com/produc ... x-Tee.html

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:53 pm 

b.vicious wrote:
Thanks for calling, Liz.. but yikes, that doesn't sound good. At last year's bake sale, we were able to get a ton of support from people from various veg*n groups, including some who just dropped off stuff and left because they couldn't make much of a commitment. Even if we could get the kitchen, people would not be able to participate on a small scale - either bake a ton of stuff in this kitchen on a certain day or don't bake at all. I'm afraid we'd end up with like 4 of us trying to bake everything for the whole event. :(

Yeah, I'm GChatting with Wilson now, and he's afraid of space issues. The kitchen at the Gate is pretty small. Did someone say something about having a friend with a bakery??

There has to be a way that people do this, but my mind is boggled. I'm blaming brain fog for this, too. <3

ETA: Wilson says maybe 5 people could be in the kitchen together at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:07 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

Yeah, I'm GChatting with Wilson now, and he's afraid of space issues. The kitchen at the Gate is pretty small. Did someone say something about having a friend with a bakery??

There has to be a way that people do this, but my mind is boggled. I'm blaming brain fog for this, too. <3

ETA: Wilson says maybe 5 people could be in the kitchen together at the same time.

I have a friend with a bakery but its 30 miles outside of the city and they are a tiny operation, their oven is the same size as our standard kitchen ovens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

Is anyone still planning on doing this? I'd be up for it. I'm going to be away around that time but I can definitely bake. I live in Roslindale.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't know anyone with a servsafe certified kitchen. Is it just the kitchen that has to be certified? Or the individuals as well??

What about Somerville? Davis Square might be a nice place, one of those open areas.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 am 
Huffs Nooch

Yeah maybe we can try Somerville! Cambridge is beginning to look like way more trouble than it's worth. Just saying.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:14 pm 

I have to agree; does any food sold have to come from a ServSafe kitchen? I partially understand with all the contamination and allergy concerns, but that would mean no bake sales ever, I'd think. I'm going to look for more information. Can we be considered non-profit because the group of us holding the thing are not doing it for profit (even though we happen to be giving the money to a group that is not non-profit)?

Also, while I'd rather have a live bake sale, anyone have experience with online bake sales? A 'healthy living' blogger I follow had one, and you could bid on different things. The cookies that I wanted ended up going to $90! Just throwing some thoughts out there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:25 am 
Huffs Nooch

SO online bake sales work like an auction? That would be a cool idea!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:42 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I'm bummed, because Mayfair would have been PERFECT. I was so excited about that idea.

Is there any way we can exercise the power of loopholes and say that the food is not being SOLD, we are giving out snacks and suggesting that donations be made? I think that might be pushing it, but it's amazing what you can accomplish with loopholes...

Otherwise Davis is probably the next best bet. I feel like there must be some events coming up...

Somerville Open Studios is April 30th/May 1st. I don't know how much foot traffic that generates or where, but maybe we could find a place to set up that would work with that?

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:18 pm 

Here's a couple of links to the Carrots 'n' Cake blog bake sale posts:

http://carrotsncake.com/2010/09/blog-bake-sale.html
http://carrotsncake.com/2010/12/holiday-bake-sale.html

It's a thought anyway. Davis would be good to me, or loopholes. We could always do it in the parking lot at the James's Gate, but no one goes to JP/foot traffic wouldn't be huge. It is on the 39 bus route and close to the Orange line.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:51 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hi everyone. My name is Tamara and I would love to help out. I live an hour and a half away from Boston but we travel all the time. Im bummed we missed meeting you guys to chat about this. Maybe another supper night could be scheduled *hint, hint* ;) AND, my family and I live in a town right next to Sunny Meadow. They are great people and have even helped animals that I couldnt keep here that needed homes.

Do the majority of you live near Boston? Is that why you are talking about cities out that way? I think any large city would be great. Northampton is a huge vegan friendly place as well if it isnt too far for you guys.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:10 pm 
Huffs Nooch

HI Tamara!

I think Boston is sort of the central meeting place for all of us. I myself, live about 2.5 hours from Northampton...not sure about the others!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:17 am 
ugh

The SoWa Farmers Market starts on May 1 and runs from 10AM to 4PM. The website says they require a food permit to sell things but there is such a thing as a "Temporary Food Permit" so we may be able to work something out... but they do ask where food was prepared, who prepared it, "measures to protect food from contamination during preparation, storage and display" etc. so I'm not sure. But I'll start emailing people to figure things out.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:20 am 

YOU ROCK BRANDY! That's a great idea; hopefully it'll work out!!

Also, my dad brought up the idea of a 'No-Bake Sale' where people just donate money, but I want to eat my weight in vegan noms, so I don't think that'd work. And to be balanced, my mom said, "A vegan bake sale; that'd be interesting..."
Me: What do you mean, "interesting"?
Mom: Well, is flour vegan?

Yep.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:50 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
Mom: Well, is flour vegan?

I am cracking up!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:39 pm 
ugh

SoWA wrote:
The city won’t let us book anyone who does not have a professional licensed kitchen.
You may want to do further research because you have a great cause and maybe you can plead your case.
Good luck

City of Boston Health Division wrote:
The Health Division has received your inquiry but if you are doing food out of the home we will not grant a permit for that. Food products would have to be baked in a licensed facility or purchased from a retailer or wholesaler. I am not sure where you plan on doing this event but I would just check to see if you are able to do this kind of event on the property without a permit.

So we need to find a location in Boston that does not require a permit. Outdoor markets are out, and probably outdoor locations in general (unless on private property - maybe). Or we hold the bake sale in a city that would provide a permit for this, but that's looking pretty unlikely.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:54 pm 

uggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ETA: Thanks for checking though!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:29 pm 
ugh

Another good option: http://www.communitychurchofboston.org/home/?page_id=8

I won't have time to contact them today, if someone else does, go for it! (Just make sure you post here to let us know so multiple people aren't contacting the same place)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:57 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and I think it's great what you're all doing! I was interested in participating in the worldwide vegan bake sale and was just put in touch with this forum a couple of days ago. It looks like the location might still be up in the air. I just wanted to quickly post that I recently contacted the health department for Somerville to ask about public bake sales. I agree with a previous post that Davis Square would be a great location. Hopefully, the health dept. will call back soon, and I'll update this on what they said. Maybe a public location in Somerville would then be one option of a location to hold the bake sale.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:16 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Good idea kg, thanks for the input! Welcome aboard! : )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:49 am 

Just saw someone is holding a bake sale in front of a co-op in Greenfield, MA, and it made me wonder if Harvest in Central or another local business would let us hold the bake sale in front of their business? I don't know about the foot traffic in Central Square, but it seems like the kids like it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:11 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
Just saw someone is holding a bake sale in front of a co-op in Greenfield, MA, and it made me wonder if Harvest in Central or another local business would let us hold the bake sale in front of their business? I don't know about the foot traffic in Central Square, but it seems like the kids like it?

Everytime I have ever been to harvest on a Sunday the cafe and the grocery store are packed, its definitely worth looking into!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next