| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 753 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:52 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I just got this and it looks awesome! I plan on cooking from it all next week; in fact, I've dog-eared virtually every page (this is how I indicate to myself what recipes I want to make). I anticipate serious yumminess next week!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:31 am 
Huffs Nooch

zhenni wrote:
I just got this and it looks awesome! I plan on cooking from it all next week; in fact, I've dog-eared virtually every page (this is how I indicate to myself what recipes I want to make). I anticipate serious yumminess next week!

My inner librarian just had a heart attack.

Then again I'm the fussy person who opens a cookbook and lays a piece of plexiglass over it to keep it open and protect the pages.

I obviously have book issues.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:53 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

xmiyux wrote:
zhenni wrote:

Then again I'm the fussy person who opens a cookbook and lays a piece of plexiglass over it to keep it open and protect the pages.

Ha. I'm a real librarian and I write all over my cookbooks. Does that finish you off?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:57 am 
Huffs Nooch

Efcliz wrote:
Ha. I'm a real librarian and I write all over my cookbooks. Does that finish you off?

It does.

Head = exploded.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:02 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

xmiyux wrote:

Even worse - from your point of view, I assume - once I've tried out a recipe, I then write my opinion of it in the cookbook for future reference...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:05 am 
Nailed to the V

I make notes, too. And even make a list in the front of the cookbook of what I've made. Makes it so much easier to find recipes!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:08 am 
Huffs Nooch

I do something similar but use post-its and leave it on the page.

Mostly I was just poking fun at my hang-ups. Your methods make total sense and I even intellectually recognize the value of treating the book as a work in progress and editing the recipes as you personalize them.

I'm just OCD around books. Hopefully there are at least a couple people who share by OCD and I'm not a total loon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:24 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm like you with everything except cookbooks.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Tamasin wrote:
I make notes, too. And even make a list in the front of the cookbook of what I've made. Makes it so much easier to find recipes!

I do all this too - in VBS I got the publishers to insert little "notebook page like" graphics in the spare spaces on pages to encourage this note writing!!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:39 pm 
Chard Martyr

My cookbooks are disgusting. I can't cook from books I get from the library without banking on librarians heads exploding. Hence, my embarrassingly large cookbook collection.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:31 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I have an all-in-1 printer/scanner/copier and photocopy recipes (from books and mags I own) so I can hang them from clipboards on my cupboards. I'm too messy to put a book on my work surface. It works out well. I own too many books to justify cooking out of library books, and as a comic collector I have a strong inner urge to keep the stuff I own in as close to mint condition as I can :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm enjoying this conversation... as my stack of cookbooks and a pad of post-its sits next to me!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:55 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I am a post-it girl, but sometimes I will write things on the book itself in very light pencil, then will rub it out once I have transcribed.

This book is sounding yummier every time I come into this post. But I am on a cookbook ban at the moment.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:46 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I think I will have to go and get this book. I had it in my hand on Friday and then thought, do I really need this...I think after reading the comments, that yes, I do need this book!

I typically write comments in my cookbooks too, like what I would like to add to the recipe next time, etc. I have a cookbook holder and try to keep them clean,but most of the time, as if by magic, something always gets on the page.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:14 am 
Huffs Nooch

Dave in MPLS wrote:
I have an all-in-1 printer/scanner/copier and photocopy recipes (from books and mags I own) so I can hang them from clipboards on my cupboards. I'm too messy to put a book on my work surface. It works out well. I own too many books to justify cooking out of library books, and as a comic collector I have a strong inner urge to keep the stuff I own in as close to mint condition as I can :)

That is a brilliant idea. I am going to have to start scanning the recipes I like from the Penzeys catalogs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:05 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I haven't made any of the recipes yet, but it's a very pretty cookbook. And having read through it, it's very different than American Vegan Kitchen.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:57 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Update - I just made the biscuits with creamy sage gravy and the breakfast potatoes with onions and peppers. The potatoes dish was yummy, though I can never keep from the potatoes sticking to the pan (my problem, not the recipe's). The biscuits were wonderful, and the gravy was out of this world - I could eat it straight from the pot!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:31 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

QueenV wrote:
Tamasin wrote:

I do all this too - in VBS I got the publishers to insert little "notebook page like" graphics in the spare spaces on pages to encourage this note writing!!!

That's a good idea! I need to annotate more because I tend to make the same things instead of branching out and trying something else. I have no problem with writing all over my own books but I wouldn't in a library book, I use those post it flags. I've totally got flour on library books though, I try to be clean but I fail. I got beet juice on the side of one of my library books, I had a sandwich in my bag that went everywhere, ugh, I was afraid they would charge me but they haven't. Yay, libraries! I do pay them quite a bit in hold fees.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:16 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I use tape flags to mark pages (dog earring == YUCK), but I will write the occasional comment, to fix an error or, for example: to note what time/temp combo worked for a different size baking pan than the recommended one. In pencil. Lightly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:11 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

xmiyux wrote:
zhenni wrote:

I use those colored sticky tabs ... kind of like a tiny post-it-note ... to indicate pages I particularly want to cook from. I also put a large ruled post-it note in the front of the book to write down what recipes I have tried, changes I have made, whether I liked it or not etc...which keeps my cookbooks more pristine. Anal, huh?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I write on the recipe page after I make it -- my thoughts, along with the date. When you've been cooking for a while, it's a great way to reclaim some memories. I've got stuff from ten years ago documenting my favorite stuff to make when I was in college (mainly guacamole, from the looks of it). My mom has a lot of cookbooks with notes from the mid-1980s documenting what my siblings and I refused to eat or especially liked (little janejellyroll craved baked beans in all forms). I'll remember when my sister came to stay with me for a year from what we cooked and what I ate the night before I got married. I'd hate to lose that!

Sometimes I'll flip to a recipe at my mom's house and see that it was a favorite of my dad's (he has been dead for a few years) and I'll even remember a time when we ate it together. I hope to give my future kids the same experience.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

janejellyroll wrote:
Sometimes I'll flip to a recipe at my mom's house and see that it was a favorite of my dad's (he has been dead for a few years) and I'll even remember a time when we ate it together. I hope to give my future kids the same experience.

What a great idea, I love this! Makes me want to go write novels in my cookbooks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:33 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

So last night I made the Great Smoky Mountain cheeze and used it for the grilled cheezy sandwiches. The sandwiches were out of this world - even my omni husband said they were delicious - and the cheeze itself is, hands-down, the best vegan cheese I have ever tried. I made the old-fashioned tomato soup to go with the sandwiches, and it was really good too. This cookbook rocks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

i made the chili and it was the best chili i've ever made! there is a picture of the chili in the book that encouraged me to make it and i'm so glad i did! it was super nostalgic for me, i served it with the sweet cornbread which is also amazing! i'm totally loving this cookbook!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:14 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I hadn't been on PPK in a while, and just noticed this thread on Vegan Diner. Can I just say thank you for all of the really sweet comments! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so glad that you guys are enjoying the recipes.

Julie

P.S. On another note, someone pointed out a typo to me today on the scramble recipe. It should say 14 ounces of tofu.

Reply to topic  [ 753 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next