| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [philly] loving hut
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:28 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

What's good? I think I am going here tonight. It seems like everything has fake ham in it, which sounds... gross. But I could be wrong. Tell me what to eat!

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Post subject: Re: [philly] loving hut
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:00 pm 
Hip Goiter

I hate fake meat products, I just don't eat them/can't stand them. But I went to LH with a friend when it opened and we tried like 6 things. I can't remember exactly, but I really liked everything. Even the fake ham was fine in the dishes, like the sushi roll, bc it was just one small component. I just remember the sushi and the spring rolls but everything we had was good. Didn't get the cheesy bread that others raved about though.

Hope you enjoy/ed!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Tragically, by the time I got there I was still full from brunch! I just got bubble tea, which I'd never had before.

Turns out I don't like bubble tea.

But the person I was with got the Sandwich and it looked really tasty.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:39 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Too late for you tonight, but I got the wrap there and thought it was delicious. It had a really good sauce.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:56 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm intrigued by the Nuggets. Mostly because I haven't had anything in nugget form in years. I'd just need weak chocolate milkshake and some fries and it'd be my perfect fast food meal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:14 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I went there once and it was okay...pretty good! I had the cheesy bread, which I thought was overhyped. It was simply 4 small slices of the multigrain baguette loaf from Shop Rite and very little "cheesy" substance, fairly overpriced. I also got the chicken sandwich, which was good! Carrot cake with no cream cheese icing (wah), which was okay..It was basically sweet vanilla cake with shredded carrots haha... It's pretty god for a chain, I like it because it's all vegan, so I can't complain!

I have a hard time going there these days with Blackbird 2 blocks away!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

xstartxtodayx wrote:
I have a hard time going there these days with Blackbird 2 blocks away!

Totally, I rather go to Blackbird any day. I will never complain about being spoiled for options though!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:36 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

didn't like the burger with the eggplant patty. husband had the lo mein for the purpose of the vegan ham. we split the nuggets between us and our toddler. (one for each of us, the rest for him) i think they were good as i only got one bite of mine before he stole that one from me, too.

and sometimes they'll volunteer to hold your infant so you can eat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:57 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

today;s daily dealster deal is for loving hut.
$5 for $10 worth of #vegan Dining at The Loving Hut on South Street!
http://www.dailydealster.com/ref/bldvq2q710

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:43 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i finally went in and used my coupon. (and even with the coupon, it was pretty overpriced.)

strawberry bubble tea (made with jasmine tea and what appeared to be real strawberry pulp) 2.95 (that was a reasonable price)
i liked it. :-) however, it did have a slight waxiness to it. maybe it had some coconut milk in it.

chickpea avocado salad 9.95 (it was tasty, but i'd probably only pay 6.50 for it if i were getting it again.)

golden nuggets 3.95 (5 nuggets. they seem like they're the health is wealth nuggets, but they're a little bigger than the health is wealth nuggets as far as i remember. they are definitely not worth 3.95 maybe $2 if that.)

golden cheesy bread 4.95 (4 small slices of a very thin multi-grain baguette like xstartxtodayx said, and there was no stretchiness to the cheese. it was more like miso mayo with tiny squares of ham mixed in.) they were delicious, but again, not worth 4.95 at all! maybe 2.50 no, i think only 2.

loving hut sandwich 5.95 (good sized sandwich with what appears to be may wah chicken and a little bit of lettuce and big mac special sauce. possibly also lightly caramelized onions too? i didn't ask to have the cilantro left off, but i'm sure they'd do it if asked.) this was worth the 5.95 i think.

chocolate cheesecake 5.25 (it wasn't bad. but it was definitely not worth 5.25. $4 maybe. it was leaky and the crust had gotten soggy. but after pouring off the liquid and trying to ignore the weirdness of that, the cake was just ever so slightly too tofu-y to warrant a price tag reserved for a delicious slice of something that had been made with tofutti.)

apple pie 3.25 (more like a turnover made with phyllo pastry -- pie, i'd pay 3.25 for, but this thing i'd pay 2, maaybe 2.50 hadn't tasted it yet, cause i got it for today's dessert. i'll come back and leave another comment if it tastes better than $2) at least my pie r squared, amirite?

chocolate chip cookie $1 (it's a cakey cookie. it's good if you like cakey cookies, but i am much more a fan of cookie-y cookies. i'd pay .50 for this. maybe .75. but i understand their desire to make it easy for everyone to make it a flat $1. at the least, they should have made it larger if they were planning on charging $1 for it.)

at the top of the menu, it says "any two small size of appetizers or vegetables will cost only 4.50 if you choose any entree." (which i'm assuming means that each appetizer will be 2.25? i don't have the receipt in front of me, but each price wasn't listed. the total bill was around $35 (before the coupon was added of course)

all in all, mostly everything was more expensive than i would be willing to pay on a regular basis. but i suppose being on south street dictates that the prices be higher than they normally would if not on such a high foot-traffic/high rent street.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:18 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

nice review. still need to get over there and try a thing or two one day.