| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go East! (I'm moving to Oakland)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:22 pm 
Chip Strong

I just officially put down a deposit for a place in Adam's Point, almost within spitting distance of Whole Foods (don't worry, I probably won't spit on you while you shop)!
So what is the deal with Oakland? What do people in this exotic land do? Where is there to eat besides Souley Vegan? I confess that like many SF dwellers, the East Bay sometimes seems like it's thousands of miles away. Also, are there good places to find cheap furniture? I've never had my own place and only have bedroom items.

Post subject: Re: Go East! (I'm moving to Oakland)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Welcome!

You'll be close to the Grand Lake Farmer's Market. It's pretty awesome, though I rarely go, because Sundays are better market days for me. There's a smaller Sunday market at the DMV on College Ave and also one at Jack London Square. You're also close to Grand Lake Theater, which is great and purdy.

Uhuru sometimes gets great furniture, but their space is really small and people jump on things quickly, so it can be hit or miss. They have a delivery service though. http://uhurufurniture.blogspot.com/

You can run the lake with everyone else, 5,000 gooses, 75,000 lbs of goose crepe, and who knows what else that's stinking up the lake.

You should join this place, if you're looking for a gym nearby: http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/crIrJjKm ... eavWT16Wcg (I'm only slightly joking...)

You have to walk through a clam chowder gauntlet when you enter Whole Foods. They also created a nice bottleneck between the stinky aged meat case and stinkier cheese sections.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:38 pm 
Chip Strong

That gym looks pretty awesome. I actually went into the Whole Foods the other day and walked past the dry-aged beef display thing. Also, the salad/hot bar part really contrasted with the one in SOMA - it's like the Oakland Whole Foods went out of its way to de-veganize things with gratuitous honey.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, that WF is big and pretty, but they're really lacking in vegan options. They have the usual prepackaged suspects, Posh donuts, and Cafe Gratitude desserts (all the yum, now with less forced hippie interaction!), but I'm always envious of the hot foods bar and that trail mix/granola amazingness (mini pb cups?!?!). They do usually have one vegan pizza by the slice (and they make them to order as well) and some sort of tofu stir fry bowl, but I've never tried it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:18 pm 
Huffs Nooch

A few of my favorite spots:

• Breakroom
  • Golden Lotus
  • Cha Ya
  • Great Wall
  • Donut Farm
  • Saturn
  • Flaco's
  • Lanesplitter

non-faves that also are vegan/have vegan options:

• No Worries
  • Fellini
  • Herbivore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

lathandplaster wrote:
[*]Great Wall

When I went to that place a couple years ago I remember really liking it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Food:
* Liba Falael (in Emeryville on Mondays and every other Wednesday)
* Rico's (tots!!!!) in Oakland
* Green Papaya (all vegan Thai food in Berkeley)
* Revolution Cafe in Oakland (has some vegan stuffs but is a cute little punky coffee shop to draw/read in)
* Vegi Food (North Berkeley) - cute Buddhist Chinese food place
* Bobby G's Pizzeria (Berkeley)
* Some place in the Ashby flea market (weekends @ Ashby BART) that sells vegan naan wraps, can't remember the name - India Gourmet?

Groceries:
* Mandela Market in West Oakland (right across from West Oakland BART)
* Berkeley Bowl(s) (in West Berkeley and Ashby)

Good bars:

* Beer Revolution
* The Trappist
* Albatross in Berkeley

-West Oakland (about a mile to a mile and 1/2 from where you'll be) is a great place to go running, it's completely flat, lots of residential quiet areas.
-Furniture: There's an IKEA in Emeryville
-Fave movie theater: the California Theater in downtown Berkeley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:44 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

On the BAVeg list recently there has been a LOT of discussion re: Green Papaya. I've never been there, but apparently more than one person has been told by the owners that they use shrimp paste in their food. Even though they were told this isn't veg, they continue to use it.

I can forward the whole (loooooong) thread if anyone is interested.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:52 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'd be curious to see that, lobster.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:05 pm 

Here's a link to the thread on the Yahoo group, but I don't know if you can see this if you're not on the list.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sfbaveg/message/19608

If that doesn't work, PM me your email and I can forward the email thread.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:14 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Green papaya also isn't very good. There are far better Thai options around that are actually veggie.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

lathandplaster wrote:
Green papaya also isn't very good. There are far better Thai options around that are actually veggie.

Hmm, I and my family actually quite liked it. Would definitely be interested in hearing recommendations though (esp. in Oakland!).

I would definitely be interested in seeing that thread though, lobsteriffic; the yahoo group didn't show up for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:54 pm 

maygles wrote:
lathandplaster wrote:

Hmm, I and my family actually quite liked it. Would definitely be interested in hearing recommendations though (esp. in Oakland!).

I would definitely be interested in seeing that thread though, lobsteriffic; the yahoo group didn't show up for me.

PM me your email and I can forward it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:11 pm 
Huffs Nooch

maygles wrote:
lathandplaster wrote:

I'm just prejudiced against it because I really liked the place it replaced (Boat Noodle House). Most of the places I like are in Berkeley, alas -- Plearn, Cha Am, Thai Noodle, and Thai Basil.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:35 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

lathandplaster wrote:

this is funny because I usually dislike Thai food, but I LOVE Green Papaya. It's the only Thai restaurant I will happily eat at.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I second Plearn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:32 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I will add: Homeroom (pretty good vegan option - tried yesterday added broccoli and crushed potato chips, as suggested in the Homeroom topic) and Sacred Wheel. OMFG. Sacred Wheel is a cheese shoppe that sells mainly dairy cheese, but makes vegan grilled cheez/panini and has vegan soup. Got the special grilled cheez (mozz daiya + arugula, olives, roasted peppers and onions) and TBR soup (tomato PBR soup). It was perfect for a rainy afternoon, and soooo tasty. They also sell 3-4 varieties of Scheese!

Encuentro is my favorite 'date night' spot. $$$ but good; mixed vegetarian/vegan.

If you like booze, you should definitely hit up the Alameda tiki bar Forbidden Island.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

jengomonas wrote:
Got the special grilled cheez (mozz daiya + arugula, olives, roasted peppers and onions) and TBR soup (tomato PBR soup). It was perfect for a rainy afternoon, and soooo tasty.

WANT TBR SOUP NOWWWWW. That sounds yum.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:58 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Check out the Grocery Outlet a few blocks north of the Whole Foods, often they will have some vegan gems at rock bottom prices...bags of nate's vegan meat balls for like $2, discounted soy ice cream, even frozen vegan pizza sometimes...just dont get soymilk from them, its usually chunky

I also love No Worries, I wish they would experiment with some other veggie meats but over-all they are amazing.

A funny story form oakland's animal rights history: There used to be a fur shop in downtown oakland that we held protests at and concentrated leafleting efforts, the campaign fizzed out because of another local happening but Ive since noticed that the building now houses a medical marijuana clinic instead of a fur shop. Not sure if we had much to do with it but it sure is funny. I love oakland.

You gotta have the No Cookie. They are so moist and yummy. One of the best cookies Ive ever had. You can get em at Whole Foods. They are made locally and you can often meet the guy at Whole Foods on the weekends giving samples.

The Dubai Market near 30th 7 Telegraph is also great for assorted goodies as are many of the small corner stores and local markets. Im often surprised by what I find, tiny shops selling vegan cheese, veggie meats, & soymilk are everywhere.

Sadly Reel Video closed down...they always had great movie and lots of vegan snack options. I miss them.