| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bakesale for Japan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:45 pm 
Chard Martyr

I think a facebook fan page would be great, but maybe I'm just thinking selfishly, since mine is pretty off the vegan grid, and facebook is so universal. If you can use help, let me know! You can make organizers admins and stuff so they can update, right?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:39 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

If you go with forums...I like the ease of separate city forums, makes it easy to see the cities in which bake sales are forming. Whatever you go with, I'll link to it from the WVBS. I was going to some Facebook status / web site news blurb shout-outs to the Japan bake sales anyway, which would already link to the PPK forum, so I'll just include any new links there.

Also --- if you'd like to hold a vegan bake sale - whether for Japan, another cause, or combination - but you can't yet because you need more people, feel free to contact me in that circumstance also if you want a couple more channels by which to do a call-out for helpers. The PPK is ideal for collaborators finding each other and I always refer people here, but it may work the other way around too, for maximum exposure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:20 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

FYI, this article mentions groups helping animals in Japan: http://consciouscat.net/2011/03/12/help ... -in-japan/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks for posting that, Gary. I used to volunteer for one of the organizations listed (Animal Refuge Kansai) and they do really great work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:37 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Akron info is set:
Saturday, April 2nd from 11am-4pm at VegiTerranean.
Proceeds will be split 50/50 to benefit Direct Relief International and the Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue and Support.

Blog is here: http://akronveganbakesaleforjapan.wordpress.com/
Facebook page will be set up soon.

Gary-really appreciate you getting us signed up as part of WVBS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

(As soon as there is a desaster, you Americans bake cake. Why? When I enter "bakesale" in Google, I get 8 Million hits. when I enter the German equivalent, it's just 78.000. What? Dont we like Cake? Do you like Cake too much?)

That being said, raising money for Japan is awesome. That is out of the question.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:59 am 
FAYGO

jerusha wrote:
(As soon as there is a desaster, you Americans bake cake. Why? When I enter "bakesale" in Google, I get 8 Million hits. when I enter the German equivalent, it's just 78.000. What? Dont we like Cake? Do you like Cake too much?)

That being said, raising money for Japan is awesome. That is out of the question.

Personally, it's because it's the one thing I know how to do. I can't go down there and rescue people. I can't sing to do a benefit concert. I can't make other things fast enough for people to be able to buy enough of them for it to make the difference, but I can bake the hell out of some muffins.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:26 pm 
Chard Martyr

Yeah. I was really inspired by Isa's writing on "baketivism". It's something I can do instead of just sitting around reading news stories and freaking out. Every bake sale I've been involved with since has been so inspiring! It's also a public thing, so it gives other people a chance to contribute--even if it's just buying a cookie and realizing how amazing vegan baked goods can be.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:15 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

vijita wrote:
http://www.veganbakesale.org/veganbakesale/vbs-where.html#salt-spring-island-2011-01

I told a friend of mine on Saltspring about this - she's not vegan but she's thinking about contributing some vegan goodies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:27 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
jerusha wrote:

Personally, it's because it's the one thing I know how to do. I can't go down there and rescue people. I can't sing to do a benefit concert. I can't make other things fast enough for people to be able to buy enough of them for it to make the difference, but I can bake the hell out of some muffins.

Yes, but you (and the people buying your muffins) could just give money to charity directly. But I see your point, wanting to "do" something. It's just, it is so unheard of over here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:17 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

jerusha wrote:
Yes, but you (and the people buying your muffins) could just give money to charity directly. But I see your point, wanting to "do" something. It's just, it is so unheard of over here.

Selling baked goods increases the amount of money you can give and creates community. I can make a pan of brownies for, say, $4. That pan of brownies will easily sell for $36. The people buying baked goods from me might not necessarily give that money to a charity either.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:10 am 
FAYGO

mollyjade wrote:
jerusha wrote:

Selling baked goods increases the amount of money you can give and creates community. I can make a pan of brownies for, say, $4. That pan of brownies will easily sell for $36. The people buying baked goods from me might not necessarily give that money to a charity either.

Right. I didn't have this kind of community back when Hurricane Katrina hit and I didn't have much money, so I bought about $25 worth of yarn, made a scarf and put it up on eBay for an animal rescue organization. The scarf sold for about $100, so the organization was able to get four times what it would have gotten had I just written them a check.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:24 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Yes indeed. And we probably talk about them more here because this is a food website. On etsy people are doing crafts for Japan.
I've seen RPGers doing game related stuff.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:28 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Also, there is a bakesale tradition as fundraising in this country. Schools used to do them and some still do. Churches do them, as well as large suppers or car washes. Not for disaster relief but to raise funds for projects and such. Want new playground equipment? Bakesale! I know I am more likely to donate in that way than just sending money. I like that community experience.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:31 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I just secured a location to hold a bake sale in Greenfield MA on Saturday April 9th from 11-1. It will be outside the co-op. I am hoping there will be a lot of lunchtime traffic. The money will be split 50/50 and sent to Shelter Box and World Vets. I posted in the New England forum too. If anyone wants to help out, let me know!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:50 am 
Chard Martyr

PeaBeeJay wrote:
vijita wrote:
http://www.veganbakesale.org/veganbakesale/vbs-where.html#salt-spring-island-2011-01

I told a friend of mine on Saltspring about this - she's not vegan but she's thinking about contributing some vegan goodies.

Thank you! You should gently encourage her (and all of her friends) to get in touch with me! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:41 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

momservo wrote:
I just secured a location to hold a bake sale in Greenfield MA on Saturday April 9th from 11-1. It will be outside the co-op. I am hoping there will be a lot of lunchtime traffic. The money will be split 50/50 and sent to Shelter Box and World Vets. I posted in the New England forum too. If anyone wants to help out, let me know!

I'll be glad to help through the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale however possible, e.g., including it in the schedule, issuing call-outs for volunteers if you want - let me know! You can reply here or email me at gary@veganbakesale.org or just go straight to the WVBS sighnup form at http://www.veganbakesale.org/veganbakes ... ignup.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:48 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

jerusha wrote:
SeitanSaidDance wrote:
jerusha wrote:

Spread the vegan bake sale love! :) I've been trying to get Germany involved for three years in the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale. Last year, groups in Finland, Norway, Poland, Romania, and other countries on six continents participated. We just got a signup for a multi-night vegan bake sale at a vegan club in Rome! Vegan bake sales combine fundraising, vegan outreach, community, and more. If you want to represent for Germany, I'll promote hugely! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:53 pm 
Hip Goiter

The Philly area WWVBS will also give proceeds to Japan relief efforts! It will either be Saturday April 30 or Sunday May 1. Will post more when I know.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:11 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Atlanta's Vegan Bake Sale for Japan.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:40 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Atlanta Vegan Bake Sale for Japan Blog.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:59 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Figured I'd post here rather than in the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale (WVBS) thread, since this is way more active:

- If you'd like to add your bake sale to the ever-growing WVBS schedule, let me know.

- Welcome and re-welcome to all the fantastic vegan bake sales for Japan. Since the bake sales dedicated to this relief effort are occurring roughly around the same time as the WVBS, to a large extent we're sort of combining everything - with bake sale organizers' permission, of course - into one big global vegan bake sale for peace and cruelty-free goodness juggernaut. The listing of all bake sales is by location and by date: http://www.veganbakesale.org/veganbakes ... where.html

- We recently added more tips to our vegan bake sale tips page: http://www.veganbakesale.org/veganbakes ... -tips.html We're always up for more suggestions!

- If you want to add a WVBS banner to any of your online or printed materials, here are some: http://www.veganbakesale.org/veganbakes ... ml#banners

- Already there are participants on Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, North America, and South America, as last year!

- Thank you and love to all bake sale organizers and helpers - and customers!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:30 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I wrote a news blurb on the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale home page, asking for bakers and other people everywhere to help out with the awesome vegan bake sales being organized: http://tinyurl.com/4shfyay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:16 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Akron Bake Sale in the news! http://www.ohio.com/news/118347179.html

More bakers needed. Please. Anyone? Anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:39 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

havecompassion wrote:
Akron Bake Sale in the news! http://www.ohio.com/news/118347179.html

More bakers needed. Please. Anyone? Anyone?

This is awesome. I want to link to if from the WVBS Facebook and twitter pages.

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next