| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WWVegan Bake Sale: for the Animals Sanctuary 5/1 @ MooSh
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:35 am 
FAYGO

I got an email from Erica of MooShoes and need everyone's input:

I don't know how you feel about this, but Hannah Kaminsky, the woman that wrote Vegan Desserts is writing another dessert cookbook. She wanted to host an event at the store either the Saturday or Friday before the bake sale. I think having two events so close to each other would take away from it. We haven't cleared it with Hannah but how would you feel about maybe combining the two events. Maybe giving Hannah a corner where she can sign books. She had also mentioned making some cakes so if she was into maybe she could instead sell her cake.

I haven't cleared this with Hannah yet, but I thought I would check with you before I mentioned it to Hannah.

Let me know your thoughts. It is totally fine if you don't think it is a good idea.

What do you all think? As long as we have room, I think it could be cool. We can advertise that we have a special celebrity guest and it'd be great to have another baker to participate in the sale. And if there are people who may not come out for a bake sale but would for a signing, we can grab them too. Thoughts?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:52 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I think that's great. It's a win-win. There are people who might come to a bake sale but not a signing and people who would come to a signing but not a bake sale.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:51 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
The Facebook event page is done: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170716992979773

As is the Google Doc (let me know if you have trouble viewing it; the settings are weird sometimes): https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... _K8O#gid=0

Can a mod please edit the first post to include these links?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:53 pm 
Chard Martyr

yup! done! may 1st will be the first day I can finally breathe in months. i can't wait.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:32 pm 
FAYGO

Aaaaand MooShoes is donating all the book sales to ftA. Have I mentioned how much I love them? Wooha!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:01 pm 
protein lump

what! that is awesome!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:37 pm 
FAYGO

Thanks to Theresa of ftA, we've got a flier!

Please share it around!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:20 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I am moving to New York a week from Saturday. I would love to bake and get to know some NYC vegan peeps! Cannot wait :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:31 am 
Member type 4

^ creativedish and I know each other from a former life down south -- be tripped out by that for a second. we both joined this board without knowing the other one even knew about it

the more you know

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:54 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Awww, the flier is so cute!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:02 am 
FAYGO

Exciting things are happening! I just received a couple of messages from Gary, who coordinates the whole WVBS thing:

Gary wrote:
Last year, CNN.com did a great story on the WVBS that generated lots of positive publicity (and a last-minute mini-surge in signups). This year, they’re going to another story on the WVBS and it will focus on original recipes used in the WVBS bake sales.

The author of this year’s story (who also wrote last year’s story, and whom you can follow on twitter at @atlvegan) is interested in knowing if anyone wants to share *original* recipes (so no copyright issues) that will be used in 2011 WVBS bake sales. I’ll double-check, but I’m quite certain that the recipe doesn’t have to be your recipe specifically, but can be any original recipe for something in the bake sale from anyone contributing baked goods to the bake sale – individuals or businesses. A photo of the finished product would be most helpful as well.

The tentative deadline for getting this to me is April 16. The story will probably run on the following weekend. I don’t think it matters if your 2011 WVBS bake sale is before then or after then, or has already taken place, for that matter.

Of course you have my promise that everything is confidential; I will just collect the info, add some shout-outs, and pass it to CNN.com.

This might be a nice incentive for recruiting talented bakers and local businesses that don’t mind divulging a recipe. Last year, 4000 people hit the “recommend” button on the CNN.com article about the WVBS, so probably tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people read it.

I’ll be posting about this on the web site, Facebook, and twitter, but I wanted you all to know about it first! J Without you, there is no WVBS! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Gary wrote:
But wait, there’s more!

OK, the opportunities are widening:

- The story will also contain some discussions and photos of wonderful creations from professional bakers/bakeries that do not have the recipe attached, realizing that professional bakers may not want to divulge their recipes. So commercial bakeries and/or caterers contributing to your bake sale may be able to achieve fame and fortune without having to reveal their secrets.

- For those of you (like me) who use recipes from cookbooks for bake sales, the article author is also interested in which cookbooks you and/or the bake sale team in general favor.

Last year, the CNN.com article focused mostly on why groups would hold a vegan bake sale; this year the angle is primarily how someone makes stuff for a vegan bake sale. So recipes, professional chef contributions, and favorite cookbooks for vegan bake sales will all be part of this story.

Remember, the deadline for replying in order for possible inclusion in the story is April 16.

If I can dig it out before the 16th, I'm going to send my pesto pinwheel and/or asparagus muffin recipe. I think maybe we should also try to solicit donations from bakeries and restaurants soonish so we can promote anyone who participates in our submission. And I'd like to pimp the hell out of Isa and Terry's books.

Anyone else have recipes they'd like to include? Other thoughts?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:56 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Aw boo, you decided on May 1. That's my mama's birthday so I won't be able to join. Maybe I can convince everyone to come buy stuffs though!

Wait, maybe I can convince them to let me participate.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:01 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

my friend Keenan and I will try to do something for the bake sale, and my mom has offered a donation to the Sanctuary. we're all super excited to get to baking and bringing something for the sale. we won't be able to stick around unfortunately, but still are going to try to stick around for a little. last year it was jammed when we came, which is good for the cause, but bad for anxiety, hah.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:57 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm not sure what I'm going to make yet because I have class all day on Saturday, so I'm not sure what I'll have time for, but I will bake as much as I can and then I can help out all day if I'm needed.

If I can pull it off, I think it'd be awesome to make little vegan Handi Snack packs with some of the smokey cheese from vegan diner and homemade crackers, but I don't know how I'd package them. If I can figure something out that wouldn't be too wasteful, I'll do it!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:36 am 
FAYGO

That would be amazing, idji. I would buy the hell out of it.

I just remembered we need the usual things. I have a box of gloves, an open package of 100 sandwich bags, leftover kale chip containers, a package of biodegradable bowls and one of knives/forks/spoons. That may be enough to last us for a while. I hope to pick up the chalk/sandwich board before the event. Anyone have chalk? Napkins?

Also, it will cost me about $20 to go pick up the hot water pot, so I'm thinking of just bringing my Brita pitcher and not charging for drinks. If we do that, we also need cups. Would it be douchey to charge a nickel for cups to discourage use of disposables?

What do you all think?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:47 pm 
FAYGO

And table coverings! Does anyone have?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:30 pm 
Chard Martyr

I can look for some table coverings at the 99 cent store and I will bring some napkins!

I don't think I'm going to have time to figure out how to make handi snacks before sunday, but I'm bringing stuff and can help out all day. I'm going to bring Rum Raisin Brownies from Bittersweet's new book and probably a pie.

Also, I just sent a mass email to all my of my classmates about the bakesale. A bunch of people just did a project on vegan diets and weight loss, so I thought maybe they want to come.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:04 pm 
FAYGO

Sweet! I'll pick up cups and chalk and that should be everything!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:06 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

My friend and I are coming to bring some baked stuff and my parents made a donation, so we're all chipping in. I have two green tablecloths that are disposable and I'll bring those too! What time is the earliest to start bringing stuff? I was hoping to be back in Queens by around 11, but just wanna know for sure to let my dad know I'll be coming late.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:37 pm 
FAYGO

Thanks for coming out yesterday, everyone! What an amazing day!

Between the delicious baked goods, gorgeous merchandise and MooShoes' generous donation of the proceeds from Hannah's book, we raised a total of $1507.60! Wooha!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:54 pm 
protein lump

YAY!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:01 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Sweetness. I'm glad it was such a success!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:30 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Awesome! I'm so happy to have been a part of this, and it was great meeting so many of you guys!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:33 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

So great!!! I came there and I think maybe bought from you SSD? I got a cinnamon bun and a jam-filled muffin and they were both awesome. I wish I could've stayed longer/helped out but my boyfriend was moving and we were cleaning/packing all day long

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:40 am 
FAYGO

BitterSweet wrote:
Awesome! I'm so happy to have been a part of this, and it was great meeting so many of you guys!

It was great to meet you too!

pranaferox wrote:
So great!!! I came there and I think maybe bought from you SSD? I got a cinnamon bun and a jam-filled muffin and they were both awesome. I wish I could've stayed longer/helped out but my boyfriend was moving and we were cleaning/packing all day long

Yup, that's the table I was at most of the time.

Thanks again, everyone!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next