| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cat water fountains
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:08 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Does anyone have one of these types of things?
I want to get one for the cats but I'd like to hear about other people's experiences first. Did you cat love it or ignore it? Pros/cons?

Post subject: Re: Cat water fountains
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:24 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

my experience is that cats main water drinking motivation is drinking water that is not theirs. I think cats are usually into these things at first until they realize that you bought it for them and then they immediately go back to only drinking from your bedside water cup or licking the water from the tub after you get out of the shower.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:44 am 
ugh

I don't have one, but my cats' foster mom (before I adopted them) had one and they adored it. So much that I have to add water to their dry food because they barely touch their normal water bowls.

Things to look out for: they can be noisy, and if they aren't cleaned frequently, they can get moldy! Read the shiitake out of their Amazon reviews before you pick one.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:44 am 

so true! Tristan drinks almost exclusively from my glasses of water. Gershwin had a full urinal tract blockage a few years ago and still isn't much of a water drinker, he drinks maybe once a day. I feel I need to get him drinking more, as I'm pretty sure the moisture he gets from wet food isn't enough.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:26 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Mine have a Drinkwell fountain (not the neat one in the picture, that just looks too big for the cat food tray) and they like it a lot. They also have a bowl of standing water. They drink them both.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I used to have a Drinkwell, but I got sick of cleaning all the build-up off of it. Now I just got a big ceramic one from Petsmart, which so far I like better. My kitties will drink out of both fountain and standing bowls, but one or two of them adore fountains. I second the reccomendation to read reviews because they will tell you how much of a hassle it was to clean the fountain.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:08 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

fatcat wrote:
I used to have a Drinkwell, but I got sick of cleaning all the build-up off of it. Now I just got a big ceramic one from Petsmart, which so far I like better. My kitties will drink out of both fountain and standing bowls, but one or two of them adore fountains. I second the reccomendation to read reviews because they will tell you how much of a hassle it was to clean the fountain.

I take mine apart and run it through the dishwasher. :X

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:09 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I want one but I know it wouldn't get cleaned often enough.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I had a Drinkwell, and it was hard to clean, plus I worried about degrading plastic. I got a Glacier Point pet fountain, the basic model, and my cat really likes it. You can speak directly to the owner and the entire thing is food-grade. It was expensive but I think a good investment, because my cat drinks two to three times more water when she uses a fountain.

http://www.glacierpointforcats.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:03 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

My cats have their own waterglass in the kitchen under the kitchen table (where we won't accidentally knock it over). They drink more often out of the glass than they do out of a bowl, and now they leave our cups alone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:41 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

mollyjade wrote:
My cats have their own waterglass in the kitchen under the kitchen table (where we won't accidentally knock it over). They drink more often out of the glass than they do out of a bowl, and now they leave our cups alone.

i do this, too! she has one in the living room, one in the kitchen, and one on the windowsill next to my bed. it doesn't keep her from heading straight for my water glass, though.

someone gave my mom a decorative water fountain once, and she set it up in the living room. she thought it was so cute that the cats got all excited about drinking out of it, and then one of them developed a horrible bladder infection. i know that fountain wasn't meant for drinking and wasn't cleaned or maintained in a way that might have made drinking from it safe, but i'm still scared of all of them now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:54 pm 

I ended up getting the Whisker City one, as it was the least expensive and it comes apart for "easy cleaning" - we'll see just how easy it really is.

So far the cats have been loving it! My older kitty with blockage issues has actually been drinking water, which I so rarely have seen! It's definitely a good thing so far.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:23 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

acr wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

i do this, too! she has one in the living room, one in the kitchen, and one on the windowsill next to my bed. it doesn't keep her from heading straight for my water glass, though.

It helps that they're not allowed on the kitchen table, counters, or the coffee table, the places where our glasses are most often.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:03 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

mollyjade wrote:
acr wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

It helps that they're not allowed on the kitchen table, counters, or the coffee table, the places where our glasses are most often.

i don't have a kitchen table, counter, or coffee table (tiny nyc apartment). she'll get up in my lap and try to get into the glass as i'm raising it to my mouth. she is bratty (and thirsty, i guess).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:42 pm 

Day 2 and the kitties are still diggin' the fountain. Both are sucking back water like it's going out of style.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:48 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Damn, got my kitties one and they could not give less of a shiitake.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

IsaChandra wrote:
Damn, got my kitties one and they could not give less of a shiitake.

Don't know how long you've had it for, but I remember when we got ours, it took a couple of weeks before they started to drink out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

I just got the Drinkwell original and I ordered the cat grass accessory. It says it's dishwasher safe, so I hope that's gonna keep it clean enough.

Anyway, so Riley the cat loves it. And he hasn't barged into the bathroom and demanded I turn on the tub faucet all day.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My drinkwell was finally shitting the bed, so I replaced it with this!

The PIONEER PET 6022 CERAMIC DRINKING FOUNTAIN! (Raindrop Design)

Wow I love this so much more than the Drinkwell. There are less parts, it cleans up so much easier, and when it's running low it doesn't make an awful noise! The cats were afraid of it for a day or so, now they're cool with it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I ended up getting a ceramic one in January. I agree - it is so much easier to clean than the Drinkwell.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:59 am 

I ended up taking back the one I got because it leaked all over the place. Every review online says the same thing about the one I got (Whiskers City), so obviously there is some design flaw. It wrecked our wood floor!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm really happy with the Glacier Point ceramic bowl fountain. I just ordered a bunch of replacement filters and they sent me a kitty paw mug for free. It isn't beautiful, but I think it's the best one I've found.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:02 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have a petmate deluxe fountain and I think it's pretty easy to clean. I also think both my cat and dog are drinking more water since I bought it a few years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:17 am 
Chard Martyr

My kitty loves it! It's kind of bottom of the line one but she was once a street cat so it ain't no thang.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:40 am 
ugh

rabidchild wrote:
My drinkwell was finally shitting the bed, so I replaced it with this!

The PIONEER PET 6022 CERAMIC DRINKING FOUNTAIN! (Raindrop Design)

Wow I love this so much more than the Drinkwell. There are less parts, it cleans up so much easier, and when it's running low it doesn't make an awful noise! The cats were afraid of it for a day or so, now they're cool with it!

I know this is old, but I just want to say that I bought this fountain and it was awesome until one of my cats figured out how to move the top piece so that the water ran directly on to the floor.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman