| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How gluten free are you?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:16 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'm not gluten free currently but I thought I'd contribute. I suffered from IBS (diarrhea-dominant) so I cut out quite a few triggers. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and came up negative for celiac. I also didn't see a big difference during my few months of gluten-free-ness, the one thing I found was less processed foods = calmer stomach, not necessarily a good quality bread once a day or something like that. The next thing I tried was to cut out dairy and that was a miracle (if you're on this board I'm pretty sure you're doing this already).
Basically, these days I aim for moderation, am vegan and avoid CABBAGE like the plague. It always gives me diarrhea. I've tried to reintroduce it numbers of times without success.

I hope you figure out what's making you feel crumby.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:21 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have non-celiac gluten intolerance (manifested in a couple of nasty ways), but I just found out that I have a moderate-to-severe wheat allergy, so I guess I avoid that shiitake like the plague now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:48 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I had blood tests that came back with some antibodies but not enough to qualify as celiac. A few years later, after living on applesauce, rice, and canned veggies for I don't know how long because of terrible abdominal pain, I had the biopsy. Negative.

A year after that, diagnosed with seronegative rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, still battling the GI issues, with hives that came and went, and a nice rash on my face that was also situational, I was finally given the ok to give up gluten. This was last August. I did it for two weeks, started to feel better. Went back for a week, and after enjoying pizza and my birthday cake I haven't looked back.

I avoid wheat, barley, rye, spelt, kamut, triticale, modified food starch and maltodextrin not labeled as being from corn. I only use certified gluten free oats, or that Irish brand we can get in the US. I can eat foods shared in the same deep fryer, I don't call companies to make sure the lines are cleaned between products. If it says "made in a facility that also processes wheat" it depends on the product, but I generally avoid it. If I get glutened, I have joint pains, migraines, hives, I get crabby, and GI problems.

I feel so much better with out it. I was able to come off some the rheumatoid arthritis drugs. I don't know for sure its the gluten or if its from not eating nearly as much processed junk. But I'm not switching back anytime soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:41 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'm increasingly more vigilant - going GF felt so good after a year or so of abject pain and, ahem, unpredictable intestinal issues. I was so grateful to have come down from that level of discomfort that every day felt like running naked through a meadow. I used to be ok with "processed in the same facility" or eat french fries from the same oil, but after getting glutenized a couple times, I now am soooo careful and would rather starve than have a reaction. It's funny, it seems that now that I'm GF, any little bit of gluten causes a more massive reaction than it did before, or maybe I was just used to the baseline of daily agony before?

It just seems easier to avoid something uncertain than gamble with a week or more of pain, fatigue, mood swings, and diarrhea.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:34 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

SeitansMinion wrote:
I'm increasingly more vigilant - going GF felt so good after a year or so of abject pain and, ahem, unpredictable intestinal issues. I was so grateful to have come down from that level of discomfort that every day felt like running naked through a meadow. I used to be ok with "processed in the same facility" or eat french fries from the same oil, but after getting glutenized a couple times, I now am soooo careful and would rather starve than have a reaction. It's funny, it seems that now that I'm GF, any little bit of gluten causes a more massive reaction than it did before, or maybe I was just used to the baseline of daily agony before?

It just seems easier to avoid something uncertain than gamble with a week or more of pain, fatigue, mood swings, and diarrhea.

I totally agree. Also yes, I've read that when you cut it out reintroducing it will make the flare worse.

I was recently glutened at pf changs after ordering from their gf menu. My fibro flared, my stomach got angry, I was moody, prolly if nothing else from all of the previous mentioned discomforts. AUGH. Now I rarely eat out. I will eat at aladdin's, a middle eastern place here. They have a gluten free vegan dish that I love made with lentil and onions and I put their gf/vegan hot sauce on it and its really good and so far no problems there.

Me and my bf are going there for our 16 year anniv just cuz it's definitely safe. ha. Don't want my night to be ruined. at first I wasn't as careful but once I realized the way being away from it helped, well, now my bf makes me gf vegan pizzas every so often (rarely, even so it's still too high cals for me with my weight loss efforts), and it's fabulous. I actually like it better than most you get out anyhow. He's a fabulous cook, which is good cuz that's what he's paid for ;)

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:00 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I got glutened at Aladdin's. It was heart breaking. They have 2 different types of rice, one with vermicelli, one without. I asked to sub the one without but they brought me both, mixed together. Fortunately, I am weird enough to inspect my food before I eat it and caught it. But if I hadn't... I would have gotten very sick. I actually heard the restaurant manager berating the chef over the ordeal... I felt bad because his English isn't very good and didn't know the meaning of the word "gluten". If only he had just asked. But my meal was free that night, and I love their food so much that we've been back without further incident.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:39 am 

katiepillars, are you in Pittsburgh? I think they have aladdins in ohio too.

If so, what part of town? I'm in Oakland. Anyhow, that's terrible. I have no idea what vermicelli looks like, but the lentil thing I get is listed as a gluten free/vegan meal, so hopefully I"ll be safe in the future.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:06 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Every once in awhile I think "oh, I haven't been officially DIAGNOSED celiac so it's okay if I take a tiny bite of that" and WHAM! It's like instant bloat and gas and horribleness, even with a teeny tiny bite.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

my guts have been unhappy for the past 2 months (and my other random wounds hadn't been healing well either). i had gotten the blood test on monday, and they also tested me for parasites and bacteria, and i haven't gotten the results back yet, but i read the wikipedia artcle, and the related skin disorder dermatitis herpetiformis, and i am 90% sure that's what i've had randomly off and on for the past 9 years. (mostly off, but when it's on, it lasts for over a month, and it's usually on the same spot on my chin/jaw under the left-hand corner of my mouth.)

in the past i've definitely gone days without pooping. i never really thought anything of it.

i'll pop back in here once i get my results back. *fingers crossed*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:22 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Aha! That reminds me. I had one doc tell me that my rash ( viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8348 ) was that. I've been gluten free for a few weeks, except for a teeny tiny bite of cookie the other day.

Good luck!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:51 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Vermicelli is a super thin spaghetti, it gets mixed into the rice dish, in pieces about a half inch long. I'm in Ohio- I think Aladdin's started here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:10 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

So this is kind of interesting. My sister-in-law has a friend who's GF, and she told my sister-in-law that she won't eat meat anymore unless she can be sure the animal didn't eat wheat (like grass-fed beef). I...don't think it works like that?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:16 pm 

well, i called for my results. all of my tests were "within range" so we're back at square 1. (i guess doc-man is going to take a piece of my intestines during my colonoscopy? i ate some seitan last night, and this morning, i was more... explosive than i have been in the past weeks, but the blood/mucus level has been about the same. i just want to figure out what's wrong with me. bleh.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:58 am 

super, have you eliminated gluten in the past with good results? I have been reading about how inconclusive those tests can be because just because you're not celiac doesn't meant you don't have an intolerance. I haven't been tested, but I cut it out and so many things have improved for me so I have no interest in getting tested.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:20 am 

i'm gonna keep eating it until my colonoscopy. then maybe i'll try GF, or at least low-gluten for a little bit.

i'm guessing it's common for the irish to have it because we've evolved eating potatoes. :-p our ancestors' celiac babies thrived when other nations' celiac babies would have died. (or at least be undesireable to the opposite sex because of all the pooping and gassiness so as to ensure their genes wouldn't be carried on.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:13 am 

irish and italian, which sucks, my gmas side is italian, my dads side is irish. what the fizzle! :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:41 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I am not celiac but I have an illness that is aggravatged by gluten. My naturopath told me that a little bit of gluten (as in a bite of toast once a week, for example) is still considered gluten by the body and will provoke or encourage the same results, ie an inflammatory response in some manner. For this reason, she told me it will be important for me to be careful to cut it out altogether and not just reduce it. Otherwise, you might as well just eat gluten. I was really hoping it was more like fat or salt...like it would still be OK to have a bit here and there, as long as I maintained balance or cut it out altogether next week... But unfortunately that is not how it works with auto-immune reactions.