| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toronto
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:22 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

mamatafari wrote:
Sorry to do this here, but it is a toronto based company.. A friend and I started a vegan baking (and catering) business this past summer in Toronto. We are a vegan/Ital business. On FB you can find us under "Omega Creations."
We began by holding a lot of outdoor bake sales from April-October. Now we've expanded into the mail order side of things, and are setting up a menu + pictures this week.
Check us out on FB.. We're still working on things, but you can at least get a bit of an idea of what we're doing. Thank you!!

I joined your page of FB. Your creations look amazing, and I am so sad that I am going to miss your sale in a couple of weeks. Even if it's my early shift that week, I won't finish until 4pm, and I'm sure you'll be sold out by then. Maybe I'll come around, sniffing for crumbs...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:43 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Has anyone tried this place? It sounds like a good reason to bribe someone to drive me to Burlington: http://www.kindfood.com/

I really need to try Hot Beans. Their Facebook page had a shot of their menu, which set me drooling. And not only because all I've had today was cereal (oven disaster involving exploding and melting element, so until it's checked, not even using the stove-top. What is it with me and appliances?). I think that would make for a nice walk with the dog on a sunny day. Seitan "Chorizo" Burrito, Yuba "Chicken" Taco, mmmm. Maybe tomorrow.

Bunner's is a bit more of a walk, but in good weather, why the heck not? The dawgette needs a lot of exercise anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:52 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

SheDevil wrote:
Has anyone tried this place? It sounds like a good reason to bribe someone to drive me to Burlington: http://www.kindfood.com/

I really need to try Hot Beans. Their Facebook page had a shot of their menu, which set me drooling. And not only because all I've had today was cereal (oven disaster involving exploding and melting element, so until it's checked, not even using the stove-top. What is it with me and appliances?). I think that would make for a nice walk with the dog on a sunny day. Seitan "Chorizo" Burrito, Yuba "Chicken" Taco, mmmm. Maybe tomorrow.

Bunner's is a bit more of a walk, but in good weather, why the heck not? The dawgette needs a lot of exercise anyway.

Yes, Kindfood is awesome! It's a small cafe/grocers, all vegan. They have grilled cheese made with Daiya!!! And, OMG, the desserts! I am a sucker for their quinoa rice crispie squares.
They are right down by the lake in downtown Burlington.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:00 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I ate at Hot Beans for dinner today. I had the seitan chorizo burrito - it was enormous! - and a coconut lime doughnut. The seitan chorizo had a really nice texture and wasn't too spicy (I am a spice wuss sometimes) and the vegetables were very fresh. I am definitely going back. Soon.

Also, all the packaging, even the little plastic cups for the salsa, is biodegradable and goes into the compost.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:23 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

SheDevil wrote:
I joined your page of FB. Your creations look amazing, and I am so sad that I am going to miss your sale in a couple of weeks. Even if it's my early shift that week, I won't finish until 4pm, and I'm sure you'll be sold out by then. Maybe I'll come around, sniffing for crumbs...

Unfortunately, most of our bake sales take place on weekends as we know that's when we can get bigger crowds. We've tried looking for a semi-permanent location for a couple of weekdays, but haven't had any success yet. Scadding Court at dundas/bathurst has these great business start-up booths, but way too $$$ for us.. We are still trying to at least get storefront space somewhere once a weekday.. Going to be going into Hot Beans to talk to them about this on Friday actually. And another place in Kensington too.. Fingers crossed :)
p.s. thanks for joining the group!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:23 pm 

PeaBeeJay wrote:
I ate at Hot Beans for dinner today. I had the seitan chorizo burrito - it was enormous! - and a coconut lime doughnut. The seitan chorizo had a really nice texture and wasn't too spicy (I am a spice wuss sometimes) and the vegetables were very fresh. I am definitely going back. Soon.

Also, all the packaging, even the little plastic cups for the salsa, is biodegradable and goes into the compost.

Mmmm.. going in on friday to test this place out. Can't wait for the jackfruit pulled tacos. Yummm..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:55 am 

i'm spending this weekend in toronto. i'm ridiculously excited to check out hot beans!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:58 pm 

So went to hot beans today to try out their doughnuts. I am sorry to say that I was really disappointed. They had 1 flavour today (lime coconut). It was too dense/heavy and the doughnut itself was not really. have not had the tacos yet..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:38 pm 

guys, go to hot beans, right now.
bbq jackfruit ('pulled pork') and chili-lime tofu (yuba 'chicken') soft tacos (with lettuce, tomato, pico de galo, and cashew sour cream) with a very large side of coleslaw.
run, don't walk.
go!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:28 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

oh mannnn. Going to go there as soon as we can make it to Toronto.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

I have to go downtown next weekend and I usually swing along Baldwin street running errands (I think Hotbeans is on Baldwin) and anyway, I'll be going if I'm passing by!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:25 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Omigawd. Hot beans has doughnuts??? I'm going tomorrow. For realz.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:26 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yes, more major love for Hot Beans. I have know tried almost everything on the menu except the nachos. The boyfriend has a broken ankle right now, so fast food that's inexpensive and not totally crappy for you is really helping me out right now. Basically, they came at the perfect time for me. I'm a big fan of the tacos, I've pretty much enjoyed all three options, but I would suggest the jackfruit just because it is so different. Doughnuts wise, though, my fave is tied for the all-over caramel glazed and the mocha dipped ones. Also, the people there are super nice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:26 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

ok so i've been in kensington every day for the past 2 weeks since i moved back to TO and i haven't noticed hot beans? yeesh. (however, this may be a good thing.)

i've received mixed service at urban herbivore. sometimes they're smiles and sunshine and sometimes they don't even look me in the eye. whatever, i'll still buy their muffins by the freaking truckload!
addendum: i definitely applied for a cooking job there so i can learn the secrets of those muffins.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:13 am 
WELFARIST!

raoul duke wrote:
ok so i've been in kensington every day for the past 2 weeks since i moved back to TO and i haven't noticed hot beans? yeesh. (however, this may be a good thing.)

Yeah, I just googled the address and it says 160 Baldwin Street, Unit 1 at Baldwin & Spadina.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/10/1573981/ ... ns-Toronto

I walk down Baldwin fairly regularly, as recently as a week ago and didn't notice it but I wasn't really looking for it. I'll definitely hit it this weekend myself, probably Saturday as I have some errands to run downtown.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:16 pm 

Hey Toronto folks, check this out!

Veggielicious is the first event of its kind! From April 9-24th, 2011, restaurants around Toronto will offer great deals on special vegetarian meals. All of the meals served will be free of animal products, making them heart healthy, compassionate, eco-friendly, and delicious

http://www.veggielicious.ca/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:34 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Has anyone been to Udupi Palace? their special for veggielicious sounds cheap and tasty!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:16 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Courtney wrote:
Has anyone been to Udupi Palace? their special for veggielicious sounds cheap and tasty!

I have! Apparently they have the best dosas in Toronto. Nom, definitely!

My new online dating blog: http://oklavafish.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:50 am 
Dildo Queen

who can point me toward some badass cemeteries? one(s) that have a good number of statues i can photograph.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:04 am 

Udupi Palace = soooo yummy!!

Cemeteries: I hear that mount pleasant one is very interesting...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:09 am 

Supposed to be holding a Bake Sale Saturday March 26th. But the weather is going to be too cold for us to hold it outdoors as we've got to bring our children with us.
I'm wondering if anyone has any contacts for a little indoor space that we could use on Saturday. We just need to set up one table. Preferable in Kensington Market?
I'm going to ask a cafe owner tomorrow, and go speak with the owners of Panacea as well.. But just in case neither of them end up positively.. Fingers crossed..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:20 pm 

The bake sale is cancelled for this Saturday due to the weather. Instead, we will have to hold it on the following Saturday April 2nd 2011.
We realized that we can't really hold a bake sale indoors for a few hours with children..
Can still find us at : http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/eve ... 5123928254

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:22 pm 

semiautomatic wrote:
who can point me toward some badass cemeteries? one(s) that have a good number of statues i can photograph.

I think Mount Pleasant Cemetery is the place. It's one of the biggest & oldest in the city.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:26 pm 
Dildo Queen

thanks von m and mamatafari!! i am really excited, now. i'll definitely go there. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:56 pm 

i have an appointment in toronto tomorrow, and i was hoping it would be close enough to kensington market so i could take my partner to hot beans and stock up on muffins from urban herbivore; unfortunately, i'm not going to be anywhere near kensington.
but! udupi palace is fairly close, so we're going there for dinner.
after having my first dosa at saravanaa bhavan in brampton a few weeks ago, i look forward to trying the dosas at udupi palace.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next