| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Protein Powder
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vegimator wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
vegimator wrote:
I guess vega has 100 something mg of sodium so I guess it's not quite as absurd as it sounds? For a vegan protein powder anyway? Not sure what I'm gonna do with my mix. I've probably got 7-8 lbs of it left. Such a bummer. I'll probably switch to just rice protein in the future and add some whole hemp seeds to my smoothies too.

yeah I was looking up the RDA for sodium and I guess if I just take it easy with salt I'll use up the rest of mine, I don't want to waste it.

I just ordered a shitload of organic "heirloom" hemp protein from veganproteins.com with a coupon code from one of the owners (you can pm him here if you're interested - http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/ ... =6&t=22909) to get it for $7 a pound and I'm going to cut my pea/rice stuff with that.

thanks! i'll check it out, that's a great deal.

I just had a true protein shake and I keep feeling like I'm really thirsty or something...probably all in my head haha.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

appifanie wrote:
lindsayh wrote:
i mentioned it upthread but sun warrior works out to less than $1 per serving and the natural (unflavored) doesn't have stevia. i dont care for stevia aftertaste either but for some reason the vanilla sun warrior doesnt bother me. im not an expert or anything but i feel like the nutritionals are pretty good: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sunwa ... otein.html

oh yeah i've heard people like the sun warrior. i want to try that and the raw one - i forget what it's called.

i too hate stevia.

i like the sun warrior as well! and i found the same thing with the vanilla. i think the flavor's great, and it was really smooth in shakes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:14 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm a big Vega user (next to my house and car must be my largest expense!) partly because I love the hemp/pea/rice blend with zero soy, but also I love all them vitamins and minerals and EFAs blah blah blah. Has anyone found a cheaper mix for that kind of thing?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

DLD wrote:
I'm a big Vega user (next to my house and car must be my largest expense!) partly because I love the hemp/pea/rice blend with zero soy, but also I love all them vitamins and minerals and EFAs blah blah blah. Has anyone found a cheaper mix for that kind of thing?

Do you want 1/2 a tub of Chocolate Whole Health Optimizer? I know a girl (me) who can't stand it.

Hey Appifanie! I'm STILL trying to give this stuff away!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:58 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I have vega vanilla chai and I just can't stomach it. I've tried straight up and in a smoothie. It makes me want to vomit. What can I do? I might cut down just to a tablespoon or two. I think it might be the stevia actually. I also have a pea protein, which I like.
I looked at true protein but it would cost so much to ship it here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:08 am 
Tofu Pup

DLD wrote:

I like the Rainbow Light: Vanilla Protein Energizer. I use it mostly in fruit smoothies, but it does not contain any soy, gluten, or sugar. It only has 15grams of rice protein, but it's packed with a bunch of other vitamins. Plus its like $1 per serving, $18 for a package. It even has the allergen safeguard sticker on the front so you know there is none of the weird shitake in it. Plus i really like the vanilla taste.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

DLD wrote:

Yeah, this stuff - http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Whole-V ... B00276BKBS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:44 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Karma007 wrote:
DLD wrote:

Do you want 1/2 a tub of Chocolate Whole Health Optimizer? I know a girl (me) who can't stand it.

Hey Appifanie! I'm STILL trying to give this stuff away!

that's cause it's gross!

:D

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:52 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hi - I use Garden of Life RAW Protein powder (not the Raw Meal). It's a blend of hemp, rice, chia, and other stuff (you can view the ingredients list online off the label) I used to use the Olympian labs pea protein powder - saw that others recommended it - I agree it's delicious but it has a lot of sodium (probably why it's so delicious...). Garden of Life is expensive but I order it in bulk online from VitaCost with free shipping. I've had good luck with the site - usually arrives quickly. They sell it at Whole Foods but it's cheaper online.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:06 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I use MLO vegetable protein powder. It's pretty tasteless, so it goes well in anything. I use it in smoothies and in my oatmeal every morning...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I hate Vega--it just makes everything so thick and gross. I can tolerate hemp if it's in a bar or baked good, but it's gross in a smoothie. Pea protein makes me want to hurl, even when I try to eat my smoothie with a spoon. So, now I have tubs of rice and pea that I'm not sure what to do with. I guess I could use them in bars, but I'm really looking for something to put into my smoothies.

So, I've been curious about the Sun Warrior and Garden of Life. I don't mind the taste of stevia so much, I just can't take it when my smoothie turns to concrete, which is what I feel pea protein does. I know any powder thickens smoothies to some degree. I don't mind the taste of soy protein, but I'd rather use something else since I get a lot of soy in other places. So, for folks who have used Sun Warrior or Garden of Life, does they mix in pretty well?

I emailed the folks at Sun Warrior for a sample, and they said they were sending one, but it has been months, and I'm hesitant to put down $50 on something I haven't tried.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I was searching around Amazon and I'm thinking of trying this Life's Basics brand next:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O1 ... 86KH99DJTF

It looks pretty good. still making my way through my stock of sodium-riffic True Protein stuff. It definitely makes me feel really thirsty after I drink it, but I don't want to waste it.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:18 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Quarantined wrote:
still making my way through my stock of sodium-riffic True Protein stuff. It definitely makes me feel really thirsty after I drink it, but I don't want to waste it.

That's the boat I'm in right now. I have like 5 lbs of it still and I don't want to throw it out.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:22 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I used to buy soy protein powder from GNC, then I got wise to alternative protein sources (in an attempt to cut back a little on the soy in my diet) and I was using brown rice protein and hemp protein.. I liked the rice because it had almost as much protein by weight as soy, whereas hemp has a little less protein and more fat, but at the same time the hemp offers the beneficial omega fat profile.. then I stumbled onto this brand, when I got a sample packet of it at the checkout at my local food co-op:

http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Basics-Protein-Greens-20-5-Ounces/dp/B001EOKYHK

I was actually kind of shocked that it a) actually tasted pretty good by itself, and b) was soy free, had a combo of protein powders together and yet still offered as much protein by weight as straight-up soy protein powder.

I don't tend to buy into the hoopla about certain types of protein being superior to others in terms of digestion and amino acid profiles, but at the same time it's still true that different types of protein are different; I had read a lot about people combining rice protein and pea protein to achieve something almost as 'ideal' as whey protein in terms of digestibility and amino acid profile, but I never wanted to get that complicated. Then I happened on this brand and it sort of solved the problem.

It's not the cheapest but it's cheaper than Vega.. I find it online, sometimes cheap on Amazon, sometimes I find coupon codes for Bodybuilding.com and buy it there, etc... I like that it has a variety of protein in it (rice, pea, hemp, and chia seed) and some other bonus ingredients too...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:56 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I love Warrior Food from Healthforce. It's expensive, but you can find it on sale at a local healthfood store or from their website sometimes. Several of their products are pretty bomb. I can't stand so many of the protein powders I've tried - I'll only use Warrior Food from now on. Take a little baggie with you on the go and mix it up with some nut milk (preferably homemade almond milk) for a real treat that will give you what you need to start the day off strong.

http://www.healthforce.com/shop?page=sh ... egory_id=5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:31 pm 
Huffs Nooch

has anyone tried the natural sun warrior product? I'm not into stevia but i'm worried unflavored means not much taste or a weird taste. I usually add to smoothies, though like the idea of adding to oatmeal...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:01 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

okay i got the garden of life raw protein and it's fine. i don't love it like i love the vanilla rice but it isn't an obvious taste.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:15 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I am obsessed with Hemp Protein. It's expensive, though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:27 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Ok, not a powder, but Clif Builder Bars are the bomb. It's 20g of soy protein and some vitamins and minerals in a chocolate bar. I eat them straight up or break them into pieces and throw it in with a smoothie.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:06 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

appifanie wrote:
okay i got the garden of life raw protein and it's fine. i don't love it like i love the vanilla rice but it isn't an obvious taste.

What is the vanilla rice that you use? I got some vega packets, and I hate it for the stevia aftertaste. I think I'm really sensitive to stevia.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've been using Naturade Veg, bought from the regular ol' grocery store:

It's about $2/serving, 23g of protein, 220mg of sodium -- I got the blend with soy, pea, and rice protein, but they also have a soy-free version. Sometimes the grittiness gets to me, especially if I'm having a smoothie with seeded fruit (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries), but if it's blended with mango and pineapple or something like that, I can barely tell it's in there. The taste is not unpleasant at all. On the other hand, Vega is the most foul substance I have ever put inside of my mouth, and that's coming from someone who drank 2-8 cans of sugar-free Red Bull every day for like 6 years. Naturade gets my vote.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:53 am 
Chip Strong

I really like Sunwarrior Vanilla. The flavor's really subtle and I barely notice it. I've used hemp a lot but it always feels grainy and tastes really green to me. Hulled hemp seeds actually work really well, though - they just blend in smooth. Raw Food World often has really good deals on hempstuffs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Lately its been a blend of hemp protein, sun warrior vanilla, and Garden of Life raw Protein powder in my overnight oat/quinoa porridge. I usually sweeten it up a bit with a few dates.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:54 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

soleilune wrote:
I'm in Canada, so I don't know if you can get this but President's Choice Soy Protein (it's The Real Canadian Superstore's house brand) is cheap and good for kinda creamy, milkshake-y smoothies. I also love Manitoba Harvest hemp protein. Both are inexpensive. I originally used Genisoy soy protein, which is good and reasonably priced, and I suspect the PC brand may be made by them.

I should note I have an aversion to the add-liquid-and-shake type protein drinks, so if that's what you're looking at my opinion may be of little use. I'm a frozen fruit smoothie kinda gal.

thanks - i'm in canada too, i'll have to try the PC one. i've been working out a lot lately and i can't stop freaking eating! it's getting kind of annoying, so i think some protein powder (which i've always kind of had an aversion to buying) might be in order. have you ever tried the PC protein powder in oatmeal? i switch between hot cereal and smoothies for breakfast, so something that tastes good in both would be preferable. i feel so overwhelmed by this protein powder business - there's so many choices and they all have the distinct possibility of tasting awful!

i got some single-serving vega trial packs at the health food store and i did like it - but holy crepe is that stuff expensive. i like that it has a lot of vitamins in it and stuff but i take a multi anyway. f that. the reason i want to get protein powder is so i don't have to spend 2 million dollars on my groceries.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:51 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Laser Ox wrote:

I have a tub of this stuff and a tub of Vega that I'm working on at the same time. The Now Foods powder doesn't mix as well as Vega and it tastes way worse. Maybe I just got a bad batch, but I'm not going to risk trying it again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next