| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:09 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

ooh i want this:
forever21+

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:12 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

A tip I got about buying Old Navy jeans. I had a friend who used to work there and she says the quality control ain't so good when it comes to checking size. She told me to take 3 pairs of the same jeans in the same size into the changeroom. I swear to god, try this next time you go. They will all be a little different. One will feel a little bigger, another a little tighter in the thighs. I always do this now, and I find that I will usually leave with better fitting jeans now.
When I buy Old navy, I usually go for the sweetheart size 16 in the short size (I'm 5'2 too and I find the short sized one fit perfect after a wash). The sweetheart is a good cut if you have a little booty and don't want it hanging out the back all the time. If you have a little bum stay away from the Diva, they may look cute in the changeroom but you will constantly be hiking them up... so annoying, I learned that the hard way! I like the skinny legged sweetheart jeans, but I think they only come out in the fall?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Courtney wrote:
A tip I got about buying Old Navy jeans. I had a friend who used to work there and she says the quality control ain't so good when it comes to checking size. She told me to take 3 pairs of the same jeans in the same size into the changeroom. I swear to god, try this next time you go. They will all be a little different. One will feel a little bigger, another a little tighter in the thighs. I always do this now, and I find that I will usually leave with better fitting jeans now.
When I buy Old navy, I usually go for the sweetheart size 16 in the short size (I'm 5'2 too and I find the short sized one fit perfect after a wash). The sweetheart is a good cut if you have a little booty and don't want it hanging out the back all the time. If you have a little bum stay away from the Diva, they may look cute in the changeroom but you will constantly be hiking them up... so annoying, I learned that the hard way! I like the skinny legged sweetheart jeans, but I think they only come out in the fall?

Thanks for the tip! I am always hiking my jeans up. They fit perfect for about 3 hours and then as soon as I've sat in them for a while I have saggy asparagus syndrome going on. What up wit that?

I am looking at these on the Old Navy website. I really want a pair of wide leg trousers, but they don't come in short.
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.d ... =770192002

I don't see any Sweetheart or Diva jeans in the Women's plus section of the site. Am I missing something?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:07 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Y'all are killing me with this thread. I must be living under a rock (okay, or just in the middle of nowhere), because I had no idea all these cool shops existed. Hot dang!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been in love with a few H&M dresses since they opened in Portland a few months ago. I swear, there is no doubt that I dress better when there is an H&M in town. At the downtown location, I've heard that the nicer stuff downstairs sizes up to size 14, and upstairs at 12. I have 3 or 4 dresses in a size 12 that I'm going to be really sad about they eventually shrink. They all have sorta fit waists and are workable with a belt to be even cuter.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:20 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Treated myself to two new dresses for spring from Lucie Lu:

Really love the stuff from that shop!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Both are really cute, but I especially like the first one.
Still waiting for my eshakti dress, but my sister got hers and she said the quality was even better than she expected. She's concerned that it might be too tight at the top (we ordered custom fit), but I'm guessing it's because she has to fit her bottom half that it's really the first time a dress really fit the way it should.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Muffin-Tuffin wrote:
ooh i want this:
forever21+

I love it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Erinnerung wrote:
This thread made me realise that maybe I can wear jeans! I wear pants maybe once every few weeks, just because I can't find any that fit me nicely. Dresses are easier. For people that have ordered from Torrid, is their size chart pretty accurate? I'm sick of ordering clothes online only to realise that their measurements were way off. It's been so long since I bought jeans that I don't even know what size I am.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but Bettina Liano do curvy fit jeans now and they are awesome. They're a bit pricey but they're good quality, I have an older pair of regular fit and I've had them since I was 19-20.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:01 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Erinnerung wrote:
This thread made me realise that maybe I can wear jeans! I wear pants maybe once every few weeks, just because I can't find any that fit me nicely. Dresses are easier. For people that have ordered from Torrid, is their size chart pretty accurate? I'm sick of ordering clothes online only to realise that their measurements were way off. It's been so long since I bought jeans that I don't even know what size I am.

It's been awhile, but I have ordered from Torrid (we dont have them in Canada so I have to internet order). Their sizing is not great, I find they are a little to generous and most the things I have bought have been a touch too big. I shrunk a few things in the dryer and then they fit well, but I bought one top that was a no-go. returning stuff when you live out of the country is so expensive, I just kept it and figure I can find it a home amongst my friends. I do like some of their stuff, but feel like I'm now getting a bit too old for them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

It desperately needs ironing because it came in a little tiny box and it's not the best photo ever, but my eshakti dress came in today and I think they did a pretty good job of fitting it. The fabric is pretty nice and it's lined.

eta: too bad they didn't send a little sun for my legs along with it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So pretty! It looks great and I love the colour & detail!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:44 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Such a pretty dress, deearess. I love the detailing on it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:08 pm 

so nice, deearess!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks, y'all. I've been feeling a little more size conscious than usual since I was planning on losing some weight for the wedding and haven't. The encouragement is much appreciated.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:05 am 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

Oooh I really like that dress, Dearess. You are all ready for summer!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:07 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

deearess wrote:
It desperately needs ironing because it came in a little tiny box and it's not the best photo ever, but my eshakti dress came in today and I think they did a pretty good job of fitting it. The fabric is pretty nice and it's lined.
[picture]
eta: too bad they didn't send a little sun for my legs along with it.

I love it! And my legs would totally give yours a run for their money. Those paintings in the background are awesome too

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

cstadt wrote:
Those paintings in the background are awesome too

Thank you. I did those.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:02 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Went to old navy last night. Tried on like 20 things, came home with nothing. The size 18 Sweetheart jeans do not fit me. Nor do the Divas or any others. I guess I need the plus size collection, I think that 18 will fit diff?

Anyone else hate trying on clothes? I get all hot and sweaty and wind up feeling like a beached whale. Sigh...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:34 pm 

Yes, I hate it. I get super huffy puffy and angry and just blah. That's why I like buying stuff online, no trying on involved and once it gets to me I'll probably just keep it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I try not to buy online. Since I cant ever find anything in the store, I feel like if I cant try things on it wont fit when it gets to me and then ill just be mad and have to send it back.

Im in a fashion slump.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GraciaKai wrote:
Went to old navy last night. Tried on like 20 things, came home with nothing. The size 18 Sweetheart jeans do not fit me. Nor do the Divas or any others. I guess I need the plus size collection, I think that 18 will fit diff?

Anyone else hate trying on clothes? I get all hot and sweaty and wind up feeling like a beached whale. Sigh...

The cut of the Old Navy jeans made me not happy with my body, because they nipped in at the waist and had looser thighs, and I'm what they call an apple shape (I think of myself as more like those twin popsicles, large on top with skinny stick legs.) I'm a pretty solid 16, but I think I'd need at least a 20 in the Old Navy jeans to have them fit in the waist. After the jeans fiasco I refused to go back.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jessilikewhoa wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

The cut of the Old Navy jeans made me not happy with my body, because they nipped in at the waist and had looser thighs, and I'm what they call an apple shape (I think of myself as more like those twin popsicles, large on top with skinny stick legs.) I'm a pretty solid 16, but I think I'd need at least a 20 in the Old Navy jeans to have them fit in the waist. After the jeans fiasco I refused to go back.

Ugh, jeans are so frustrating. Ive yet to find a brand I love. They all wear out in the thighs, Lane Bryant being the worst. And I have big calves, so unless they are wide leg they are tight on my calves wich I hate. I always get saggy asparagus syndrome and they all get baggy on me. Constantly hiking up your jeans is so annoying.

Im thinking of spending money on a good quality pair from Nordstroms. Maybe it will make a difference.
They seem to have good reviews.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/not-your-da ... sultback=0

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Those are so cute, but I'm 5'1" and I feel silly in trouser cuts. I have been thinking of trying higher end jeans though, I know Macy's will let you return online purchases in store I imagine the other stores do too.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:53 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Those are petite cut bootlegs. Im 5'2, they should be ok. Unless I linked to the wrong thing?

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next