| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Universal/Disney/Orlando
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:49 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Vantine - Yes, Harry Potter World was absolutely ridiculous! I get severe motion sickness so decided not to go on the ride but did want to walk around and look at the stores. Unfortunately, that wasn't going to happen in any way, shape or form. I was with hubby's aunt who has trouble walking so we rented her a motorized scooter. I could barely get her through the crowd let alone near any of the stores. It wouldn't have mattered anyway since the wait to get into each store was about an hour long!!!!! On certain rides in Disney, that cart comes in handy because it gets you on the rides faster but not at Harry Potter World.

I didn't make any of the dinner reservations, my SIL did, so didn't even think to call ahead and ask for a special meal. I will keep it in mind for next time. It really was difficult to get everyone around since there were so many of us. My husband kept joking that our days pretty much went like this: meet in the lobby, ride or walk or whatever to the park we were going to for the day, use the bathroom, get on a ride, use the bathroom, get on a ride, use the bathroom, eat, use the bathroom, get on a ride, use the bathroom, get on a ride, use the bathroom, eat again, use the bathroom, get on a ride, etc., etc., etc. I love going together but it really does take a very long time to do anything when you have 10 to 13 people in your group. Plus, being the weirdo that I am, I really tried not to make too much of a fuss about anything. And I have this weird thing about not wanting to listen to any comments about my diet and how I need to at least start eating chicken once in a while. When it is just the hubby and the kids and I, it is much easier to make such requests. Maybe someday I will be a grown-up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:08 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Oh no! HP World is a disaster still? I super want to go :(

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:36 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

appifanie wrote:
Oh no! HP World is a disaster still? I super want to go :(

From what I have heard, it has been a complete disaster ever since it opened. When we were in that park, it was absolutely mobbed everywhere. My youngest didn't go on the Harry Potter ride because the movies terrify her, me and my SIL get sick and they wouldn't let my husband's aunt stay in line in her motorized cart. There was no way she could stand in line for 90 minutes without it. There really wasn't a lot for Molly to ride on in that park so half of us went over to Universal Studios for the rest of the day. It was like a completely different world there - no lines, no mobs of people, we got right on the rides. I hope that the next time we go, the Harry Potter madness calms down so we can walk through the stores at least.

Are you going soon? I hope it has calmed down when you go and would love to hear about it if it is - I couldn't even tell you what was there it was so crowded.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:54 pm 

August. Blech.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:29 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I went the week before Christmas and stayed at the Hard Rock. Because we stayed on the Universal site, we could go to Harry Potter an hour before the rest of the park opened. It was great. The lines weren't that bad at all. The flight ride had some technical difficulties throughout our trip though. Nothing major, but kind of kicks the "magic" part in the asparagus.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:11 pm 

cstadt wrote:
I went the week before Christmas and stayed at the Hard Rock. Because we stayed on the Universal site, we could go to Harry Potter an hour before the rest of the park opened. It was great. The lines weren't that bad at all. The flight ride had some technical difficulties throughout our trip though. Nothing major, but kind of kicks the "magic" part in the asparagus.

that's cool! what hotel and how was it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I went with Bergedy to Universal in the fall. It was super, super packed. The lines for the Harry Potter stores were insane. They were at least as bad, if not worse, than the lines for the rides. The rides were fun but I got motion sick on the Hogwarts ride. You sort of have to suck it up and just jump into the crowds. The line for the store with the clothing/wands was the worst. You can get postcards and have them stamped with an owl postmark which is fun.
The rest of Islands of Adventure has not really been updated since they opened it. I expect it to eventually change since part of it is Marvel land and Disney now owns Marvel.

I always recommend Disney over Universal because the experience, for the money, is so much better. Just take the time to plan where you want to eat in advance and contact Disney for help.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:23 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

For those of you that said Harry Potter World was crazy busy and overcrowded, did you go on a weekend or holiday, or is it crazy every single day of the week?

I was planning on going next week for my birthday on a Thursday since I don't have class that day (college student), but now I'm concerned about it being too crowded to be enjoyed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

radish wrote:
For those of you that said Harry Potter World was crazy busy and overcrowded, did you go on a weekend or holiday, or is it crazy every single day of the week?

I was planning on going next week for my birthday on a Thursday since I don't have class that day (college student), but now I'm concerned about it being too crowded to be enjoyed.

Remember that it's Spring Break in Florida. I went on a Friday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:48 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Ahhh I didn't think about that! UF's break (my break) was the second week of march and USF's break (my boyfriend's) was the third week, so I just assumed college breaks were over, but I didn't consider that elementary/middle/high school spring breaks might be going on now? Fork.

ETA: Just looked up Orange County public schools' SB. It's March 28 - April 1st and I'm going to HP World Thursday April 7th (day after my bday), so there won't be any young spring-break crowds :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:59 pm 

I am going to Orlando for a Science competition in April. I think this might be my first time in Orlando as a vegan, last time I was a vegetarian. I get to (most likely) go to downtown Disney and visit Babycakes. I'm really excited and will probably try to bring a box home. My team is going to have to go out to dinner on the first night, and I'll probably try convincing them to go to a restaurant that's near Loving Hut or another veg-friendly restaurant so that I can walk to get food while they order.

Are there any normal restaurants that are near vegan ones that I can suggest?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Remember that every school district in FL could have a different Spring Break. Hillsborough County (Tampa) has Spring Break at the end of April. That's only one hour away from Orlando. I'm not trying to discourage you from going but Spring Break season lasts for awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:27 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Niev wrote:
I am going to Orlando for a Science competition in April. I think this might be my first time in Orlando as a vegan, last time I was a vegetarian. I get to (most likely) go to downtown Disney and visit Babycakes. I'm really excited and will probably try to bring a box home. My team is going to have to go out to dinner on the first night, and I'll probably try convincing them to go to a restaurant that's near Loving Hut or another veg-friendly restaurant so that I can walk to get food while they order.

Are there any normal restaurants that are near vegan ones that I can suggest?

For my birthday dinner (everyone is omni except me), I was going to go to the Mellow Mushroom in Winter Park because:
a) they now have Daiya cheese and good vegan toppings (pesto tofu, jerk tofu, tempeh, all kinds of veggies and some other soy options)
b) most omnis I know love pizza, so I think they'll be pleased

So that would be my suggestion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:33 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Vantine wrote:
Remember that every school district in FL could have a different Spring Break. Hillsborough County (Tampa) has Spring Break at the end of April. That's only one hour away from Orlando. I'm not trying to discourage you from going but Spring Break season lasts for awhile.

Yeah, I definitely see what you're saying, but I've decided to go anyway. I'm permanently moving out of Florida in May, so this will probably be my last chance to go to Harry Potter world for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

radish wrote:
Vantine wrote:

Yeah, I definitely see what you're saying, but I've decided to go anyway. I'm permanently moving out of Florida in May, so this will probably be my last chance to go to Harry Potter world for a long time.

Oh, go if you are a big Harry Potter fan! Just remember to take time and relax in the crowds. From what I've heard, even the shops are still so packed that there are waiting lines.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:05 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Vantine wrote:
From what I've heard, even the shops are still so packed that there are waiting lines.

This is why I was worried when browsing through the thread. That seems a bit outrageous, but I'm sure I'll still manage to have fun. Lines and crowds don't really bother me, so I'll just make the best of it. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:47 pm 

Anyone know anything about a Doubletree Hotel in the area? The in-laws are interested. Ho hum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:39 pm 

Are meal plans worth it?

Quick! Help! Please?

Also, we might have our hotel picked - fingers crossed and then if it goes well I'll tell you! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We've never done meal plans but TONS of people do, so maybe? Not sure how great that would work out for vegan food though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:32 pm 

appifanie wrote:
cstadt wrote:

that's cool! what hotel and how was it?

It was the Hard Rock. Room service looked lame so I didn't pursue it. There was a little convenience store that had chips, soda, and fruit-- that's where I ate breakfast.

The line thing was totally worth it. My boyfriend and I didn't even bother going to Harry Potter any other time. Little brother said it was a massacre throughout the rest of the day. My parents went right when we got there when it was drizzling and it was almost closing. They said it was basically empty then!

As for meal plans, I'm not sure how they work. Disney food was WAY more accessible for vegans. I had a burger at a place in Universal but had to order without a bun. Coffee places didn't have soy milk either.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:38 am 

Animal Kingdom Resort! Booked! Bunk bed room on the Arusha Savanna.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:52 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've stayed at at Animal Kingdom Lodge and it is super nice! The pool area has lots of great savannah views. We even spent the day relaxing there once.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

appifanie wrote:

If you are going to do the Character Breakfast with Livi, call ahead to arrange a vegan breakfast!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:12 am 

Vantine wrote:
appifanie wrote:

If you are going to do the Character Breakfast with Livi, call ahead to arrange a vegan breakfast!

Totally! I heard they make gluten free vegan mickey waffles at chef mickey;s so I'm psyched. I think we're doing a Cinderella meal? The MIL is planning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

appifanie wrote:
Vantine wrote:
appifanie wrote:

Totally! I heard they make gluten free vegan mickey waffles at chef mickey;s so I'm psyched. I think we're doing a Cinderella meal? The MIL is planning.

The people I know who work there insist that Disney will totally go out of their way if they know in advance that you have special dietary requests. They seem to get that it costs a fortune to go there (even with any and all Florida resident special deals). Universal wants to you eat your french fries and like it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next