| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the vegan in nonveganfriendly places IDEAS thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:10 am 
Seagull of the PPK

first: not a bisque thread. (unless you're pointing out i'm a bisque, in which case, yeah, so?)
second, it's not just for everyone who doesn't live in brooklyn or portland.

it's for the person in Flower Mound, Texas, or Iraq, or Mexico. The people who can't trot down to the store and get tempeh, or nooch, or soymilk, who don't even try to explain veganism to the people around them because they just. won't. get it.

This thread is for IDEAS.

I found that i can sub out nooch, often, with either miso or chinese fermented black beans, both of which are much more easily found and store a lot better. I've made the gluten sausages from VBrunch this way with mucho success.

Any more good subs or solutions?

The soy creamer recipe belongs here too.

Post subject: Re: the vegan in nonveganfriendly places IDEAS thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Whoo, good idea for a thread!
I want to mention again how useful I find those single packages of powdered soymilk / soy creamer from the Asian supermarket.
You can carry them around in your bag everywhere you go and just add them to your coffee (or a glass of water, depending on your needs). :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:49 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I got a good spice collection. We have rice and beans available at almost every meal, which is insanely boring and repetitive. Having some different spice options helps a LOT. Also, spices are cheaper to get mailed out here than actual boxed meals.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:53 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Also, I have tried to adapt to the cultural norms. I tell people here that not eating animal products is my family's way (not true at all) because they can relate better to following family traditions than striking out on my own moral path. And I straight up lie and tell them eggs and dairy make me sick, because they can NOT comprehend the ethical argument.

I wouldn't do either of these in the states, but I've met decent success with the Iraqis. I'm just trying to get by.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:54 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Invictus wrote:
And I straight up lie and tell them eggs and dairy make me sick, because they can NOT comprehend the ethical argument. .

this was me looking for vegan chocolate yesterday in the store. like you, i'd never do this at home, but to get things done here it works.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:07 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yup. Now my LTs check all the treats they try and give me, look at me sadly, and declare it unsuitable. Because all chocolate is milk chocolate here. Which is fine by me, I don't need the constant sugar high these guys live in!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:39 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Invictus wrote:
Also, I have tried to adapt to the cultural norms. I tell people here that not eating animal products is my family's way (not true at all) because they can relate better to following family traditions than striking out on my own moral path.

I work with a lot of people can't wrap their heads around veganism, but would probably respond well to this explanation. Brilliant! I'm going to give it a try. Thanks!

I can't think of a tip atm, but I will try.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:10 am 
WRETCHED

I think there are long term vs short term options. Like if you are going out to eat in a place that isn't very vegan friendly, I'd suggest looking for an ethnic restaurant if possible or making a meal of sides.

The basics such as fruits, veggies, legumes, nuts and grains are vegan. Invictus brought up a good point that beans and rice can get boring but spices also help. I would say hot sauce is great too or a variety of sauces.

Supermarket vegan is a pretty good cookbook designed to give you meals if you don't have any specialty products available to you.

Also, when I travel, I always ask for a fridge in my hotel room and hit the grocery store. Many grocery stores in the US at least have hummus. If not, there are usually other things including pb that will help you survive a short trip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:57 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

linanil wrote:
Also, when I travel, I always ask for a fridge in my hotel room and hit the grocery store. Many grocery stores in the US at least have hummus. If not, there are usually other things including pb that will help you survive a short trip.

Having a fridge in hotel rooms has been a saviour for me when we travelled around a lot, especially when in smaller towns & cities. If we were going to be away for more than a few days, I would try to get a room with kitchenette so we cook some meals. We also kept a small electric kettle in the trunk of the car. It came in so handy for making tea or soup cups.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:24 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

torque wrote:
The soy creamer recipe belongs here too.

Because you asked:

Here's the link:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5661205_make-so ... -home.html

How to Make Soy Creamer at Home
By Anna McGee Thomas

Ingredients:
1 1/8 cup plain soy milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons maple syrup or 1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, or 1 teaspoon carmel syrup

1. Pour 1/8 cup of the plain soy milk into the blender. Blend for five seconds to aerate the milk.

2. Remove the top of the blender and pour in 1/8 cup of vegetable oil.

3. Blend soy milk and oil mixture on high until mixed.

4. With the blender still on, carefully remove the top from the blender and slowly stream in the last 1/8 cup of oil.

5. Bring the blender speed down to a medium level and slowly stream in the syrup and vanilla. Optional: add in the cinnamon for cinnamon creamer, almond extract for almond creamer, or caramel syrup for caramel creamer.

6. Bring the speed of the blender to medium-high. Open the compartment in the blender top and slowly drip the remaining 1 cup of soy milk into the blender.

7. Remove the creamer from the blender, pour into a container with a lid, and place in your refrigerator. This should keep for two weeks. Shake vigorously if it settles or separates.

tips and warnings:
If you want a really thick creamer, you should boil the remaining 1 cup of soy milk with a 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch. Let cool and then drip into the blender in Step 6.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:56 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Hmm, I don't like to lie, because even though I get hearburn and stomach aches whenever I eat dairy accidentally, I know that I'm not allergic or lactose intolerant. But it can get difficult to make someone understand veganism and sometimes it's easier to say "I'm allergic" or stuff like that to get vegan food when you're at a very vegan unfriendly restaurant, for example.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:14 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

If I was living here forever, andi_vert, I think I wouldn't lie either. But I find it a real struggle to cross the cultural barrier here as it is, being a lady pilot and whatnot, and this is one more obstacle. I don't know.

I am honest with the Americans and third country nationals here, and the Iraqis kind of get vegetarianism, but veganism is a bridge too far.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:51 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Thanks for this. I'm considering moving to Idaho Falls, which (from the two days I spent there) appears to be the least vegan-friendly place ever. Except that they have a Denny's. I have a feeling that if I take this job, I'm going to need a lot of good ideas.

I tell people that I'm lactose intolerant pretty often. I think that people take that a lot more seriously than "I don't want any dairy in my food." I don't like having to lie, but I also don't want anyone to decide that it doesn't really matter if they cook my food in butter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:06 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Invictus wrote:
If I was living here forever, andi_vert, I think I wouldn't lie either. But I find it a real struggle to cross the cultural barrier here as it is, being a lady pilot and whatnot, and this is one more obstacle. I don't know.

I am honest with the Americans and third country nationals here, and the Iraqis kind of get vegetarianism, but veganism is a bridge too far.

I know! I wasn't saying that it's wrong that you lie about that (if it's difficult for me here even when some people kind of understand veganism, I can't imagine how difficult can be for you). I mean, I said that I do it too. I just don't like to.

: )

radioactivegan wrote:
I don't like having to lie, but I also don't want anyone to decide that it doesn't really matter if they cook my food in butter.

And this is why I lie.