| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: NYC Vegetarian Food Festival!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:06 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

So many people! I got there, with my sister in tow, around 11:30 and the line was sooooo long. It wrapped around three sides of the block. It was so crazy. We waited on line for about an hour but it wasn't moving too much, so we gave up. Louzilla, I can't believe I missed you again.

On the bright side, I got to meet dynahmite! She's so lovely! But I wish we had more time/space to sit and talk. Dynah, if you ever come up to NY again, we should do dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

joyfulgirl wrote:
So many people! I got there, with my sister in tow, around 11:30 and the line was sooooo long. It wrapped around three sides of the block. It was so crazy. We waited on line for about an hour but it wasn't moving too much, so we gave up. Louzilla, I can't believe I missed you again.

On the bright side, I got to meet dynahmite! She's so lovely! But I wish we had more time/space to sit and talk. Dynah, if you ever come up to NY again, we should do dinner.

Yeah! Dynah said you gave up and left, and I was bummed! It'll work out sometime, I promise!!! We got there just after 10 and it took almost an hour to get in. I sure hope they get a bigger venue next year!!

I did reallllly love Jasmine Singer's talk though (she's doing it again at Bethlehem vegfest in September!) and of course Terry's demo and lots of great food (did anyone else try those philly cheesesteak empanadas? oh man!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

alice1drland wrote:
Sooo... who else waited over 3 hours to get discounted marshmallows? Because that's basically what this amounted to for me.

I was so glad to see the insane turnout, but man, I wish I had half my day back. I will go next year provided they rent a bigger space. Good god, Claustrophobia City.

Yeah...same here. I lost track of time, but I think we waited in line from around 11:30 to 3:15. My boyfriend gave up after about three hours, so I saved him a marshmallow for his efforts. The rest of us were too tired to push through the crowds once inside and left after half an hour. I was glad to see so much interest, but when even the food truck line is an hour long...whew.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:33 pm 
protein lump

we waited for a little over 2 hours. and we were only inside for about 30 minutes. got some peeps. ate some mozzarella sticks. i will say, the empanadas were totally worth the wait.

next year, it better be more organized. how could they think it was ok to have a place with a 500 person capacity in a city of eight million? i get that it's the first year and not everyone knows what they're doing. but, really?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:35 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

wow, that's crazy. I was super busy so I was thinking of stopping by for a bit. I'm glad I didn't try to do that. awesome that it was so popular, but duh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:31 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I did manage to get some empanadas at least! The v-spot geniuses brought a whole bunch outside and they were selling them right there on the sidewalk. so awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yikes about all the lines guys! I think the organizers and everyone else were completely overwhelmed and surprised about the response, I suspect next year there will be many changes. I think the awesome weather really made a huge difference too.

But thanks to everyone who came or tried to get or stuck around in line! I was outside on other side of the street for a while, talking to bystanders who were walking past and wondering what all the lines were about. When told it was for a vegetarian food festival, they were totally awe struck and no matter what their thoughts were about vegans or whatever they had to admit the turn out spoke for itself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:29 am 
Level 7 Vegan

i got to the venue at around 2 and got through the doors at around 4:30. i was initially discouraged by the length of the line, but the cute guy in front of me who chatted me up helped pass the time. i bought some faux gras, a few chocolate bars, a cupcake from Food Swings, and a Regal Vegan tote bag. i'd considered getting some Sweet & Sara stuff, but by that point i was developing a sugar headache from all the free samples and the crowd was getting to me. the festival definitely had the makings of something good, and hopefully they'll get the kinks worked out for next time.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:54 am 
Member type 4

Whoa. I feel less bad about accidentally sleeping through the whole thing. I know I would have been way too impatient to wait in that line.

My bad for staying up until daylight, but at least I woke up before the sun went down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:03 pm 
FAYGO

I met EmperorTomatoKetchup! Which was rad. But I missed Dynah! Someone told me you had been there (he kept going on about how pretty you are!) and at first I thought he was mispronouncing my name (people do that a lot). Sorry I missed you and everyone else.

I got there around 11:20 and don't think I would have made it inside in time for my shift if I wasn't able to get a vendor bracelet. Craziness.

The Philly Cheese empanadas may be V Spot's best thing right now. I also loved I Eat Grass' tuna sandwich. And I have a banh mi from Regal Vegan that I will eat for lunch today. The sushi was insane, too. My two favorite mac and cheeses are Ayinde's and Loving Hut's, so I was in heaven (especially since it's so hard to get Ayinde's!).

I was really worried when I got inside because something that was cooking absolutely STUNK. My first thought was "I'm going to throw up". My second was "If this is what people think vegan food smells like, they're never going to convert ever". Thankfully, the smell was localized to one part of the room and Sea Shepherd was on the opposite.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:31 pm 
Naked Under Apron

yep, we turned up just before 12 thinking we'd oh-so-casually stroll in for Terry's demo. HA! I'm sorry to say we saw the line and left but I am super-stoked that there was such a turnout!!! Next year it should be outdoors or somewhere, anywhere, with lotsa space.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:55 pm 
protein lump

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
I met EmperorTomatoKetchup! Which was rad. But I missed Dynah! Someone told me you had been there (he kept going on about how pretty you are!) and at first I thought he was mispronouncing my name (people do that a lot). Sorry I missed you and everyone else.

I got there around 11:20 and don't think I would have made it inside in time for my shift if I wasn't able to get a vendor bracelet. Craziness.

The Philly Cheese empanadas may be V Spot's best thing right now. I also loved I Eat Grass' tuna sandwich. And I have a banh mi from Regal Vegan that I will eat for lunch today. The sushi was insane, too. My two favorite mac and cheeses are Ayinde's and Loving Hut's, so I was in heaven (especially since it's so hard to get Ayinde's!).

I was really worried when I got inside because something that was cooking absolutely STUNK. My first thought was "I'm going to throw up". My second was "If this is what people think vegan food smells like, they're never going to convert ever". Thankfully, the smell was localized to one part of the room and Sea Shepherd was on the opposite.

michael and i tried to get over to say hi to you, but the sea shepard table was SWAMPED! and i agree that dynah is super duper pretty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:20 pm 
FAYGO

esme wrote:
michael and i tried to get over to say hi to you, but the sea shepard table was SWAMPED! and i agree that dynah is super duper pretty.

Aw! I saw Theresa and a couple of other people from the sanctuary. I guess it's good that we were busy, but I'm sorry we missed each other!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I posted my pictures to facebook! I totally forgot to take any pictures of food. Probably because I got 2 empanadas with salsa so my hands were pretty full anyway... and then whatever else I got I didn't even think of it. Got some good ones of Terry though!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:32 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Aw man, you guys are making me blush! It was so nice to see everyone, even briefly. RandiJM and I were talking about making a trip up in May (to celebrate the best bday month ever), so will have to plan a get-together for a more extended hang-out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:22 am 
FAYGO

Sweet! (high five for May birthdays!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:48 am 
Member type 4

I might have missed this, but I made it to the Le Tigre documentary at Moma last night. JOAN JETT WAS THERE.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I was there! I arrived around 10:30 and waited for a little more than an hour, but it was not too bad due to the lovely weather and the apple turnover that I had from Cinnamon Snail! I tried lots of Sweet&Sara things, some liquid Teese, raw vegan ice cream, peanut butter & co pb, Ayinde's mac&cheese, kombucha, and lots of other yummy stuff I am forgetting. I saw Terry but I wasn't able to stay long enough to see her demo unfortunately. Overall I would say it was worth it, but they really need to have it in a bigger space next year aaand fix the layout cause the shiitake was crowded!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:32 pm 
FAYGO

pranaferox wrote:
liquid Teese

Discuss.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:22 pm 
protein lump

they had a nacho cheese pump. it was awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:28 pm 
Member type 4

esme wrote:

Oh

my

god.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:43 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

fabulous_muscles wrote:
esme wrote:

Oh

my

god.

Indeed. It was delicious. Though I am upset I didn't stick around the table long enough to try the mozzarella sticks or the Teese pizza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:59 pm 
protein lump

oooh. i missed pizza! i did get some stix, though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:20 pm 
Member type 4

You do understand that I'm imagining the liquid teese in the style of a chocolate fondue fountain, right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Muscles, I'm going to let you keep thinking that rather than crushing your dreams with the slightly more boring reality.

esme wrote:
oooh. i missed pizza! i did get some stix, though.

I missed stix! I did get some pizza, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next