| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Car-free PPKers?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:05 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

When I was twelve [the year I also went vegetarian], I decided that I would never own a car do to their devastating environmental impact. [yes, I've been a crunchy hippie forever]. I turn twenty four tomorrow, and haven't broken that vow yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:16 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I don't even have a license and am not planning to get it. our public transport system is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:52 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I don't have a car, I don't have a driving license neither. I don't have money to have lessons and I'm really bad at paying attention at motor traffic. But really I wish I could drive and have a car. Public transport is quite good (like probably everywhere in Europe) but sometimes using a car could make things a little bit easier.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:15 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Dave in MPLS wrote:
I don't have a car any more. State of Minnesota won't let me. Took away my license in 2007 when I demonstrated that my MS had progressed to the point where it could cause safety issues on the road by causing a safety issue on the road - totaling a parked car (my leg froze up and I couldn't get off the accelerator). Sucked horribly at first, but I'm better off not driving anyway. I was prone to 'issues' ...

I'm sorry to hear that Dave :[ I've been lucky enough to retain my licence (CFIDS & chronic migraine) because my symptoms come on slowly.

In one way I love the idea of being car free but I enjoy the independence too much & can't really use public transport very often. I was glad I had my licence when I first got ill, I don't think I could have coped with driving lessons then. I think everyone should get their licence whether they intend to get a car or not, you just don't know when you're going to need to start driving.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:29 am 
Naked Under Apron

I passed my test the day before my 18th birthday and drove constantly for maybe 8 years. Then I stopped (because I started working in London) and never started again, so I haven't owned a car in 13 years.

That said, my partner does have a car which we use mostly for picking up wood for our wood burner and going to the garden centre, but pretty much anything else we need can be done car free. I may need to rethink when we have kids.

Mat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:31 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

We had TWO cars in MA but we sold them / gave them away and now we do not have a car, going on two years. I do not want to own one ever again if I do not have to. We both have our license and will have to drive when we go to the US for the holidays because 1. where we live is not bike friendly (weather, not understanding drivers, etc.) 2. we will not be bringing our bikes back with us every trip.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Never had a license either.
My bicycle (Epona) is my friend.
When it's too cold, or when I have time and want to wear a skirt to work, I walk. 45 minutes to work, 45 minutes back.
I don't have the time, motivation and money for any "real" exercise, and I shouldn't run because of my stupid damaged discs.
So I walk, and I see a lot of interesting things on the way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:45 am 
Hip Goiter

I can't believe car-free PPKers don't seem to be crazy Will & Grace fans like I am.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:53 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Had a car from ages 16-33 because I lived mostly in the 'burbs where public transit was nonexistent. Sold my car when I moved to Oz and public transit was fine, plus I got into cycling which I loved. Now that I'm back in Seattle, I'm trying to save up for a house and the less expenses, the better. Public transit is readily available, however, I am not thrilled to share the bus with all the homeless people who take seats away from paying riders. Have thought about getting a bicycle again, but it's supposed to be a bad winter here and I don't relish a commute with 90 degree hill climbs. Have also thought about getting another scooter but it's $150/mo to park it in my apt. building's garage. No, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:55 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Had a car from ages 16-33 because I lived mostly in the 'burbs where public transit was nonexistent. Sold my car when I moved to Oz and public transit was fine, plus I got into cycling which I loved. Now that I'm back in Seattle, I'm trying to save up for a house and the less expenses, the better. Public transit is readily available, however, I am not thrilled to share the bus with all the homeless people who take seats away from paying riders. Have thought about getting a bicycle again, but it's supposed to be a bad winter here and I don't relish a commute with 90 degree hill climbs. Have also thought about getting another scooter but it's $150/mo to park it in my apt. building's garage. No, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:11 am 
Saggy Butt

I seriously love not having a car. Bike riding is awesome and so is people-watching on public transport.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:46 am 
Nailed to the V

I totally misread the title of this thread as CAT-free PPkers. I was like "Why would someone start a thread about being cat-free?"

Durr da durr kind of morning.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:00 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Una wrote:
I totally misread the title of this thread as CAT-free PPkers. I was like "Why would someone start a thread about being cat-free?"

Durr da durr kind of morning.

HA! I did the same thing. I was confused too. And sad, because I love cats and didn't want a thread insulting them.

I sold my car when I moved back to NYC last spring. At some point, I"ll probably sign up with Zipcar so I can take trips to the Wegmans in NJ. Otherwise, NYC is one of the few places I know of where it's more of a liability than an asset to own a car, and I don't miss mine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:13 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I don't have a car or a license. I don't have one because a) I don't have the money b) I'm scared shiitake-less of driving and c) environmental concerns/not necessary in my location.

It's not hard for me to get around, I have two bus stops around the corner from me and it's a 10 minute walk to the ferry or train. I live close to uni and the CBD, I work in the CBD and I just make sure I have 20 min - half hour up my sleeve when I leave.

I'm definitely not thinking about getting a car anytime soon but I should probably at least learn to drive. I've only tried manual cars before and I think I just need to get the hang of auto first considering how freaked out I am by the road. In saying that, my learner licence will expire next month and I'm thinking about not renewing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:17 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I wish I could get by without a car, but where I live (suburban area outside Montgomery, AL) it's pretty much impossible due to lack of public transportation. And even if I still lived in Montgomery proper, their transit system is not the greatest, and my job was/is outside Montgomery, so I would still have to drive. I also worry about emergencies with my kids.

That said, after my last car died, I made a point to find something reasonably fuel efficient.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:07 am 

ugh, I really really want to go car-free, but I have to overcome my laziness first. I live in such a perfect location, the farthest I have to go is about 15 miles for school, which I sometimes ride my bike to anyway. however I doubt my parents would really be down with that idea because that would mean having a considerably harder time being able to visit them. would owning a scooter/Vespa count as being car-free? because I've been seriously thinking about it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:01 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have been car-free for about a year and a half. I live in a city where it would suck to find parking all the time, and public transit is fine for 95% of my needs. I have Zipcar but haven't used it yet- the few times I really need a car, I've ended up renting- the cost of renting for a day winds up the same as getting a Zipcar for about 3 hours.

Dave in MPLS wrote:
I don't have a car any more. State of Minnesota won't let me. Took away my license in 2007 when I demonstrated that my MS had progressed to the point where it could cause safety issues on the road by causing a safety issue on the road - totaling a parked car (my leg froze up and I couldn't get off the accelerator). Sucked horribly at first, but I'm better off not driving anyway. I was prone to 'issues' ...

That sucks. Would you be able to drive with hand controls? That's the only way I can drive.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Alina wrote:
ugh, I really really want to go car-free, but I have to overcome my laziness first. I live in such a perfect location, the farthest I have to go is about 15 miles for school, which I sometimes ride my bike to anyway. however I doubt my parents would really be down with that idea because that would mean having a considerably harder time being able to visit them. would owning a scooter/Vespa count as being car-free? because I've been seriously thinking about it.

Oh, man. 15 miles is quite a ride for an every day type thing. I would have to overcome some serious "laziness" as well..though I don't think there is any thing lazy about entertaining the idea of riding so much to get around. I get antsy when my every day ride is longer than 2 miles, one way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:53 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I wish I could be car free!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:08 pm 

My last car was an awesome station wagon. In 2007, it finally broke down to the point of it costing more to fix than it was worth, so it sat in front of my house in Austin for months. I was going to get it towed to a scrap place, but I couldn't find my title. Then I moved to San Francisco and kind of... left it there. When I visited Austin a few months later, it was gone. Problem solved.

Now I live in New York, and it would make even less sense to have a car. Until something like these bad boys is available and cheap and practical.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/28/topi ... ctric-car/
(teeny weeny electric car)

www.monsterdoodlebook.com - DRAW! MONSTERS!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:22 pm 

I've been car-free since December, originally not by choice. I hit a deer driving down a country road (worst night of my life) and it cracked my engine block. I didn't realize this until about two months later when my car bit the dust, and I haven't really been able to afford a new one since.

I ended up moving about 30 minutes away from work shortly after, which actually ended up working out better for me transportation-wise. The boyfriend lives about ten blocks away, so I can easily get to him if I need help, and there's a bus that runs from Lawrence to a stop half a mile from work.

At this point, I probably *could* afford it, but the idea of buying a car and paying for gas just doesn't appeal to me, so I've just been taking it easy and enjoying being driven around.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:31 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I had no car for six years in NYC. For the most part it wasn't necessary but I hated feeling trapped in the city. And if you don't have a lot of money renting a car or zip car is too expensive.
I have one now. I love driving and it's nice to be able to go places. And it would be impossible to do shows here without it. If I were to move back to a city I don't know if I would keep it or not.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:45 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I've never owned a car or had a license. Heel/toe express over here! but yep thats easy in NYC. However, I am sharing the costs of my boyfriend's car, I guess technically making it "ours", because he uses it to get groceries, occasionally pick me up at the subway (my house is 3/4 of a mile from the nearest) and to take our daughter to nicer parks as well as the dr etc. It rocks to have a driver to go on excursions and outta town and he loves to drive IN THEORY, but my pleasure is diminished greatly by his insane road rage which occurs as soon as we get off our street. I know its stressful driving in NYC and its practically made him crazy.

I'm really scared to drive. I've done it a couple times (not in NYC) and I shook the whole time. Everyone always says "oh you will be fine with practice" but what if I kill or maim someone while "practicing" or shortly thereafter? It terrifies me. I often say I'd rather ride a motorcycle - and risk damaging myself and not others as much - than ever drive a car. Unfortunately with a child that isn't going to happen. And we do have plans to move outta this city in the next 2 years to somewhere where I will prolly not have as much access to public transportation. That will suck majorly and I will prolly be here making a post about it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I haven't had a car for about a year and a half (I live in the Bay Area) and I don't miss it 98% of the time, and the remaining 2% I can deal with. I just signed up for a Zipcar account for when I do need one, for big grocery trips (cat litter is heavy!!) and going to visit my parents.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:00 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I was car free since 2001 'till recently. I mostly got my van to move band gear and get to the beach -I still buy my MUNI and train pass each month.
The van's a 1983 diesel, and has a veg oil kit on it. I've actually only put regular diesel #2 in it so far though.

Blog: http://blogthejerk.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mikedesert
Band: http://www.myspace.com/hornssf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next