| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fringe
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:58 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

mel c wrote:
Where does this blue and red come from? Did I miss something?

Blue is when they're in the regular world, and red is when it's about the alternate universe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

But does that tie to something in the show? Is something blue is the regular world that's red in the alternate, or are those colors just arbitrary?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:04 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

When the intro credits are rolling, if the background is blue it's our universe, but when it's red, sometimes the words in a futuristic font, it's the alt-universe. When the episode is based primarily in one universe or the other, the intro cues you in.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, thanks! I noticed the font changes, but I guess I never paid attention to the color.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:24 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

mel c wrote:
But does that tie to something in the show? Is something blue is the regular world that's red in the alternate, or are those colors just arbitrary?

The alt!universe is also filmed with a red filter (I'm pretty sure).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:26 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Dudes? I don't know if this means anything, but I previously posted this picture

because I thought it looked awesome.

I'm rewatching the series and in season 2 episode 1 I see . . .

another wall of phones. Hmm.

Odd coincidence? Meaning? The 2nd pic is in the home of a guy who was killed by a shape shifter.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:06 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I love Fringe so much. I don't really watch a hell of a lot of TV, but I'm unnaturally obsessed with this program. So glad there's going to be a fourth season.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:41 am 

That was amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

appifanie wrote:
KarynMC wrote:
I
I do like Peter and Olivia, but I feel like they've been hitting it a little heavy lately. I'm not a fan of Fauxlivia, but I really like her hair!

you and philadelphegan can hit it off on that subject.

Holla. Love Redheadoliva.

Spoiler: show
My thoughts on the incorporation of the animated scenes - 10% cheese; 90% excellent. I really found the voice acting to be be on point. Great episode; not entirely ruined by Asteroid's Truman Show moment with the Galaxy Tab.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I didn't really like the animated stuff. I felt like it was an excuse to not blow the special effects/extras budget.

I liked tripped out Broyles, but the rest of the episode was pretty blah.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:58 pm 

I didn't like the animation from a quality standpoint; Olivia and Peter looked *nothing* like AT and JJ. But, c'mon, zombies. That was pretty sweet. I didn't like the super cheeseball stuff (Peter can recognize Olivia by looking in her eyes, now; little girl Olivia standing up against her fears), but overall, this ep was a win for me.

Plus. THE END.

I might have to watch it today again. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:00 pm 

mel c wrote:
I didn't really like the animated stuff. I felt like it was an excuse to not blow the special effects/extras budget.

Yeah I agree that there's probably an fiscal angle to the decision. But with the financial thin ice the show is presumably on, I wonder if there was really any option; i.e., if they couldn't do those scenes "cheap" maybe they couldn't do them at all. I mean, where would they even get a Zeppelin, right?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:42 pm 

I'm reading the pilot script. So far, I like it better than the actual pilot. Also, it's really long for a pilot (114 pages as opposed to the ~60 that is typical). Also, it's "Olivia Warren." I had forgotten what an asparagus Broyles was at the beginning. Peter's awesome on paper, too. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:24 am 
ugh

Maybe they used animation because it is cheaper to hire Leonard Nimoy for voice acting only?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:19 am 
protein lump

aaaaand this is the episode that made me remove this show from my hulu subscriptions. i just can't do it anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:54 am 

esme wrote:
aaaaand this is the episode that made me remove this show from my hulu subscriptions. i just can't do it anymore.

yeah i'm kind of with you, except that i know i will still watch it for walter and peter. but at one point in the show, i burst out laughing and said, "this is the dumbest show that we watch!" i wish that i could remember what it was, but it doesn't really matter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:24 pm 
protein lump

was it the zombies? because i love zombies and i was like... "oh jesus. this is officially stupid."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:27 pm 

Poo on all of you. I thought the Brandonate zombies were awesome. I thought Peter catching the rope ladder was way dumber than the zombies.

Then again, I have been informed that my sensibilities err on the side of cheesiness.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:51 pm 

karyn, i haven't loved season 3. i liked season 1, started to love it by season 2, and was a fanatic at the end of season 2. season 3 was just a straight plunge south for me. since you just watched all the seasons, i can see how you're still riding on the strength of the best episodes of the series but OOF. i have been waiting for an episode of that quality for almost a year. there were some decent ones this year but... not good enough.

still: walter. peter. i love you dudes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:02 pm 

joanna wrote:
karyn, i haven't loved season 3.

I can see how S3 was frustrating. Even watching all in a row, I could see how only getting the blue/red universe every other week would be a pain. There are some moments that I think were really great, though. The conversation where Peter tells Olivia about Fauxlivia, for example. So. freaking. painful. And I loved that the show didn't drag it out.
Quote:
i can see how you're still riding on the strength of the best episodes of the series but OOF.

This could be true (I caught up last week), but maybe not. I watched SPN very quickly before the start of the current season, and I still had issues with SPN S6 that I haven't had with (most of) Fringe S3. BTW, my favorite episodes are "Peter" and "Brown Betty," and I know a lot of Fringe fans really disliked the latter. I don't think this ep was nearly as good as "Brown Betty," but it was in a similar vein, with the absurd moments and the examination of one character's feelings/psyche at a particular moment in time. So, basically, it was Karyn food, and I couldn't help but NOM. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:44 pm 

Today, when I was studying for the GREs with vocab cards, I found myself pronouncing the words as if I were Bellivia. Perhaps my brain has decided that channeling William Bell will aid me in me studies. :/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:54 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

geee, why do I suddenly want a sprint video phone?

This blatant advertising in TV shows has got to end (or at least get sneaker so I don't notice it)! It was bad enough with Bones already.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:42 pm 

Thessaly wrote:
geee, why do I suddenly want a sprint video phone?

This blatant advertising in TV shows has got to end (or at least get sneaker so I don't notice it)! It was bad enough with Bones already.

The absolute worst is The Vampire Diaries. In one episode, a character gets in her car. Right? But then there's this bizarre pan, so we're looking through the back window to see the back of the actress' head, and we see that make on the back of the car (a Ford Focus). And then we cut to the actress in the front seat, where she's using the voice-activated bluetooth to place a call.

If I were going to have a TV show, I'd make it SUPER blatant, but in a lamp-hanging way, like they do on 30 Rock. Like, if I had a say on Fringe, Sprint would be the official sponsor of the State Department in the red 'verse. :D

I liked this episode! Only, I thought Fauxlivia sounded a little like Bellivia. Which was odd. Also, I'm pretty sure you can't reconstruct a parent's complete DNA sequence from their child.

My mom's theory is that both Peter and Olivia have to power the machine now, because it's been imperfectly set for Henry. I think it's interesting, but I'm not convinced.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

DangerZone wrote:
Also, I'm pretty sure you can't reconstruct a parent's complete DNA sequence from their child.

Did they? I thought they just "extracted" Fauxlivia's share and hoped that the half that was left would be enough to power the machine.

The Jesus-y stuff is annoying. Walter has touched on it a bit in the past, but that chapel scene was way too much.

So excited that this didn't get canceled!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:56 pm 

mel c wrote:
DangerZone wrote:
Also, I'm pretty sure you can't reconstruct a parent's complete DNA sequence from their child.

Did they? I thought they just "extracted" Fauxlivia's share and hoped that the half that was left would be enough to power the machine.

The Jesus-y stuff is annoying. Walter has touched on it a bit in the past, but that chapel scene was way too much.

So excited that this didn't get canceled!

It's possible I had that wrong. I was trying to watch on hulu among 15 billion things. But the science still seemed iffy to me ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next