| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tell me about buying bed sheets!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:15 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

So I'm finally tired of my cheapo Ikea bed sheets. They feel like sleeping on cardboard or something and they've gotten all weird and scratchy from the wash. But when I look at sheets online they're all so expensive! I also keep seeing mixed reviews on all the amazon sheet sets...

So tell me, what am I looking for here? What's a decent thread count? Do I need Egyptian Cotton? Where should I buy these and what's a reasonable price? I almost just got a duvet set that included sheets on Gilt for $100. They were really nice looking, but 170 thread count seemed low for that price!

Help me transition to adult bedding!

Post subject: Re: Tell me about buying bed sheets!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I remember reading somewhere that anything above 300 thread count is basically the same, despite the fact that count is a big selling point. I've had good luck with organic, cotton ones at Target. Definitely go to a place that has samples of the sheets out so you can feel them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't pay too much attention to thread count either. Some of the super high fancy ones even feel too thick and stiff for me. The best way is to just feel the samples swatches they have at the store or open the package up enough to sneak a few fingers through.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:17 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

OK, so worry less about the thread count and more about checking them out in person. I guess that puts my internet sheet buying plans on hold. Really wishing I could still walk to Target!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

bamboo sheets feel nice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have jersey ones (like tshirt material) from bed bath & beyond that I love.

ETA:
These: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... 136&RN=16&

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:54 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I got full-size bamboo sheets at Bed Bath and Beyond for $29.99 a couple of years ago. Felt like silk. And bamboo is supposed to be easy on the ol' earth!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thread count isn't everything: you can also buy cheap sheets with a high thread count. The quality of the material also makes a difference, but in general you probably want 300 or over. The bonus is that they wash and wear better too. Nice sheets should actually get softer with each washing.

The Target sateen 450 thread count sheets are nice. My favorite sheets are 400 tc Michael Kors that I got on closeout sale at Macy's. They feel almost velvety. Macy's often has good prices on linens when they have sales plus coupon cards.

If you have long hair, I would probably avoid Jersey sheets because they can act as hair traps.

ETA: If you really want to buy online, try the Target sateen ones that have a color on color stripe. I think they are ~$40. They are probably the overall best sheets for the money that I've found without anything being on sale. I can't imagine you not being happy with them. Other styles at Target are nice, but I love the weight and feel of these ones the best because they are very smooth and cool feeling against my skin. They also wash beautifully and don't wrinkle.

http://www.target.com/Fieldcrest-Luxury ... ombrowse=1

My old roommate used to sneer at my "expensive" sheets and how they were such a waste of money and she would never spend that kind of money on something as stupid as sheets. (she did this a lot: bought mostly cheap crappy things and was holier than thou about her "frugality" and replaced everything regularly so that she ended up shopping and spending many times more than I did for pretty much everything; it was annoying as fork). Anyway, for some reason she needed to borrow sheets one night (probably because she never did laundry) and the next day she threw all her sheets out and went to Target and spent $200 on sheets. It was pretty funny.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:02 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Some information about thread count: http://www.cottoninc.com/pressreleases/?articleid=364

I got some reasonably-priced Martha Stewart sheets, and they're very comfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:52 am 
Joking!

It's been a while since I bought sheets, haven't bought any since I stopped sleeping on twin beds, so basically when i moved out of my dorm after the first year of college. But, my sheets are basically hand-me-downs from my mom. They are Ralph Lauren and they're comfy and nice feeling. I'm reluctant to spend money, so my mom gives me lots of hand-me-downs they're always nice....and also it's always nice going to her house and sleeping on the sheets in the guest room or whatever they give me to sleep on the couch with when the guest room is taken. I think she buys most of her stuff from places like The Company Store (she definitely buys her flannel sheets from them, which for winter is aaaawwwesome) and probably Pottery Barn and Target.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:16 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Thanks, everyone!

lavawitch, you are awesome! I will check out the Target ones. Also, good point about the thread count and the fabric both being critical. Somehow I just assumed that a high thread count also meant a good fabric. I can probably swing $40 for sheets, it's more the $100+ sheets that pain me. There were some $1000 sheets in Gilt and my jaw dropped! Who has that kind of money for sheets!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:15 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I used to buy nice sheets at a reasonable price from Land's End.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:05 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I have a few of those sheets lavawitch posted too for a few years now, they are quite nice! but what really bugs me is I don't want the top sheet part...it always ends up on the floor covered in cat hair etc...but I've had ridiculous problems finding stores that just sell the fitted sheet. When I do find a store selling just the fitted, its just as much $ as the whole set but I already have like 10 flat sheets I've never used!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Audrey wrote:
I have a few of those sheets lavawitch posted too for a few years now, they are quite nice! but what really bugs me is I don't want the top sheet part...it always ends up on the floor covered in cat hair etc...but I've had ridiculous problems finding stores that just sell the fitted sheet. When I do find a store selling just the fitted, its just as much $ as the whole set but I already have like 10 flat sheets I've never used!

In my experience, it is mostly the more expensive sheets that are sold individually. I don't use a top sheet either, and if I did, I wouldn't want then to exactly match. When Macys has the Michael Kors sheets on closeout (try January). I always grab one or two fitted sheets, although the last one I bought is almost chintz like: not wondrously soft like the others.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:10 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Kohls has good sales on sheets too. I agree with the others it's best to check them out in person. It's worth spending a little extra $$, because even if you find cheap soft sheets they will probably wear out quickly (especially the bottom sheet). There is nothing like a freshly laundered set of comfy sheets on the bed to make you feel safe and cozy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Petunia wrote:
Kohls has good sales on sheets too. I agree with the others it's best to check them out in person. It's worth spending a little extra $$, because even if you find cheap soft sheets they will probably wear out quickly (especially the bottom sheet). There is nothing like a freshly laundered set of comfy sheets on the bed to make you feel safe and cozy!

I change my sheets almost every day. Or used to: now it hurts my back too much so I've been having to only do it every other day. I can't think of many things that I love more than fresh sheets. My old roommate only washed them every month or so. Yuck.

I actually haven't ever had a sheet wear out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:26 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Whoa??!! Every day or every other day? I am happy when I get around to changing mine every two weeks or so. My ex boyfriend would change his like never, maybe once or twice a year. Same for his bath towel. Or he would when his mom would come visit, a few times a year. Not even for me but for his mom! Aaaaarrhhh!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:30 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

la vie sale wrote:
Whoa??!! Every day or every other day? I am happy when I get around to changing mine every two weeks or so. My ex boyfriend would change his like never, maybe once or twice a year. Same for his bath towel. Or he would when his mom would come visit, a few times a year. Not even for me but for his mom! Aaaaarrhhh!

haha, this is me too. I mean I only own two fitted sheets, so it's not like I could change them that often even I wanted to. I don't think my bf changed his sheets ever when he was living with a roommate!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

la vie sale wrote:

But fresh sheets smell and feel so nice! It is so relaxing and calming to get into bed with fresh, cool, smooth sheets. I don't know how people sleep on smelly sheets? That is one of my worst nightmares. Seriously. I admit that I am a bit of a clean sheet freak, but so many people go the opposite extreme.

Also, if I take a shower right before bed, I probably reek a little too much of Chanel No5 bath spray and powder that hasn't had a chance to dissipate, so after a week, my sheets would probably give Coco Chanel herself a headache.

(I am pretty far from a clean freak otherwise)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:36 pm 
Inflexitarian

fatcat wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that anything above 300 thread count is basically the same, despite the fact that count is a big selling point.

I'm sure I've read this, too. My last couple of sets have been somewhere right around the high 200s to low 300s — can't remember exactly — and didn't wear out quickly and weren't scratchy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:57 pm 
Naked Under Apron

http://www.landsend.com/pp/400countNoIronSupimaSateenBedding~150123_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::DBU&CM_MERCH=IDX_00005__0000000259&origin=index

These are the ones that I use. I got them kind of cheap when they discontinued a color I liked. I love them. When my parents stayed over for a few days over the summer, and I put my spare set on the sofa bed for them, my mom liked them so much that she was commenting for days on how nice they were and asking me where I'd gotten them, because she wanted to get some of the same kind for her bed at home.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:09 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Larisa wrote:
http://www.landsend.com/pp/400countNoIronSupimaSateenBedding~150123_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::DBU&CM_MERCH=IDX_00005__0000000259&origin=index

These are the ones that I use. I got them kind of cheap when they discontinued a color I liked. I love them. When my parents stayed over for a few days over the summer, and I put my spare set on the sofa bed for them, my mom liked them so much that she was commenting for days on how nice they were and asking me where I'd gotten them, because she wanted to get some of the same kind for her bed at home.

I'll have to keep an eye out for sales on these! I definitely like you can get the fitted sheets alone since I'm also a crumple the top sheet and throw it on the floor so the cat cover it cat fur sleeper.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:16 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I also really like the deep pockets on the fitted sheets -- I've got a pillow-top mattress, and with a lot of other sheets, I had to really pull them at the corners to get them to fit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:21 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

You guys just don't buy the cheap t shirt material sheets from Target. I bought two sets less than a year ago and there's holes in them and they are too small for what they're supposed to be. Like the queen size I got is really tight and keeps coming off the mattress. I am going to invest in two sets of nice sheets and just alternate. And get rid off the cheapy Ikea ones I have. They just don't hold up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i love love love love love bed sheets! i have a serious love for cotton sateen (not the shiny kind, the really soft and heavy sateen woven kind!)

if you get decent quality sheets they will get softer and even more amazing with time. i don't tumble dry mine very often, but i do iron them pretty often. crisp, fresh, newly ironed sheets are the best. which reminds me, i really should put that bed linen i've been lusting over for a year on my christmas wishlist..