Normal pet food 41%  41%  [ 46 ]
Organic pet food (that contains organic meat) 32%  32%  [ 36 ]
Vegan pet food 18%  18%  [ 20 ]
Vegetarian pet food 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Home cooked food (no meat) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Home cooked food (meat) 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
I don't have a pet 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 111
 Post subject: What do you feed your doggy or kitty?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:25 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

This is something I've been wondering about.
Soon enough when I get my own place I'll want to adopt a doggie or a kitty.
But what do you guys feed your pets? I'm not sure what I would do.

Post subject: Re: What do you feed your doggy or kitty?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:27 pm 
Naked Under Apron

But I would feed them vegan dog food if I were to get a dog... that is if they like it. But I am sure they would.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:29 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I totally support people that choose to raise their cats vegan, but I felt like Wellness brand cat food was the best choice for our Luna. She is a happy, healthy, energetic, loving kitty.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Dogs do well on a vegan diet. Cats do not.
We have two cats, they get organic cat food (but really low-end organic stuff from the grocery store, I wish we could afford the nicer stuff). If I had any dogs they would be vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:30 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I feed my dogs a mix of Natural Balance vegan dog food and homemade "dog food." The homemade stuff is usually rice and lentils with random veggies mixed in. Basically I just make extra of my own food and share with the dogs.

eta- also, my dogs are soooo healthy now that they're eating this way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:43 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Louzilla wrote:
We have two cats, they get organic cat food (but really low-end organic stuff from the grocery store, I wish we could afford the nicer stuff).

May I ask what brand you use?

I have been really frustrated with pet foods. I can't seem to find one I want to buy. Right now, the dogs are on Before Grain and the cats are on EVO weight maintenance formula with a little Wellness grain-less stink bomb formula mixed in sometimes.

My pet supply store has a really low amount of cat food brands.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:55 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Benjamin refuses to eat other brands of food. I have tried even mixing new food in and he refuses to eat or picks out the food he wants.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:21 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

This should be multiple choice, I feed Chester vegan kibble, canned food, and steamed vegetables and sometimes brown rice. And he loves bananas. The cats get the best meaty food I can afford.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:53 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I feed my cats Blue Buffalo Longevity. It seemed like the best choice for them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:16 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yeah I have heard that seeing that dogs are actually Omnivores that they can survive off a vegan diet, but seeing as cats are Carnivores, they don't do so well on it.

I think if I got a dog I'd probably buy vegan pet food, make some homemade food with rice, veggies, chickpeas (all the dogs i've met have loved chickpeas!), lentils to mix it up and then try to get my hands
on some eggs from someones backyard chickens for extra protein etc. I have no problems with eggs from happy backyard chickens.

If I had a cat I'd maybe try to give it a mixture of homemade vegan stuff and organic wet food..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:32 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

i'm waiting until coco has been with us for a few months before I change her food. She has a history of UTI's and I have to take it slow when switching her food up

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:59 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I picked homecooked, but the food I make is raw.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My kitties eat Nutro Natural Choice. I read something on the internet recently that made it sound like it wasn't that great, but I asked my vet and she said they're healthy and they like it, so there's no need to rock the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:34 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Mare (dog) gets organic food with meat. When we adopted her, I was an omni and my still-omni husband doesn't feel comfortable switching her to a vegan diet. She gets a grain-free food that includes chicken and sweet potato and eats organic chicken jerky as a treat. She also gets lots of fresh fruits and veggies mixed in with her food because she loves them. If things worked out, I would love to switch her to vegan food, but my husband feels it would be depriving her. She is meat-crazy, but I don't think her quality of life would decrease if she switched to eating meat never or hardly ever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Natural balance vegan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:46 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

We feed Lucy Natural Balance vegan kibble. I try to bake her treats, but sometimes we buy Mr. Barky's. She has a sensitive, gassy tummy and I have critically observed more dog bowel movements than I care to in order to see if her food makes any difference. Depends on the day, I think. She does love nooch and pumpkin on her noms.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:04 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Our one dog eat Natural Balance Vegetarian formula. She has allergies and has done great on it! Our other dog does not like the Natural Balance so she eats Acana.

Our cats both eat Orijen. One of them has food allergies and after trying so many different types of food, protein sources, allergy testing, and medication, she finally has most of her hair back and is not itchy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Natural Balance (not vegan) for my allergic-to-everything dog and Merrick for the other one. It's the only food that I've found that he'll actually eat, so I'm wary of switching it.

I try to only buy organic treats for the both of them and they're usually local (so many great small pet food businesses in BC!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Normally my kitties get Newman's Own Organic - a mix of wet and dry. Unfortuanately right now, they are all getting Science Diet S/D because Fry has a pH of 9 (when it used to be 5) and I'm trying to prevent him from getting blocked. They all get it because I cannot feed him separately. I tried, but if I put him in a separate room with the food, he gets pissy and hisses at me. If I feed him with the rest, he just goes to another bowl. I'm kind of at my wits end. In addition to the SD, I've got Feliway and I'm giving him transdermal amytriptyline. His pH better be back down at the next vet appointment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:52 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

my doggy lives with my parents so she gets normal dog food. Sometimes I dog-sit for them and I've always wanted to make her a home cooked meal but I'm afraid it might upset her stomach since she's not used to it.

I want to adopt a dog in the future and I would most likely give them a mix of home cooked food and some kind of kibble.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

our cats get EVO dry food and Tiki Cat wet food - they (4) share one can of food a day and free feed the dry food. They are all super healthy, have amazing coats and have never had any health problems. After I got out of school one job I had was doing research on kidney disease in cats and how it can best be prevented, basically you need a very high protein diet without grains and some wet food because they tend to not drink enough water. Tiki Cat is the most sustainable wet food I could find and it actually looks like food - it is human grade and in the event of a zombie apocalypse Nate could eat it to survive. (I have already decided that I would commit suicide cause don't want to be a zombie)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hank eats Veganpet dry dog food. We have to order it online, so it gets pricey, but we mix it with homemade stuff (rice, veggies, tofu, beans, lentils, tempeh... whatever we've got in the fridge) to make it last a bit longer. We also bake him his own vegan treats. He loves it, you'd think we were feeding him pure crack from his reaction to a bowl of food being set down.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:16 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

janejellyroll wrote:
Mare (dog) gets organic food with meat. When we adopted her, I was an omni and my still-omni husband doesn't feel comfortable switching her to a vegan diet. She gets a grain-free food that includes chicken and sweet potato and eats organic chicken jerky as a treat. She also gets lots of fresh fruits and veggies mixed in with her food because she loves them. If things worked out, I would love to switch her to vegan food, but my husband feels it would be depriving her. She is meat-crazy, but I don't think her quality of life would decrease if she switched to eating meat never or hardly ever.

Same for our Dulli, our Boston Terrier, except I wasn't an omni when we adopted him, but my boyfriend was (and is, and will be forevermore). BF is more gung-ho about keeping Dulli on omni food than I am, but I'm not too keen on switching D. to vegan food unless I were suddenly provided with ample time to home cook his meals anyway, as he has a ton of food allergies that we are still in the process of discovering, and he was very much NOT into the vegan kibble I've offered him. Like, willing-to-starve-himself-for-days not into it.
He is also 1,000% meat-crazy, and as such gets Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Canine with lamb, which he loves with the fire of ten thousand suns. He used to get Orijen, but it made his hair all course and patchy -- that cleared up within 2-3 weeks of starting TotW. In addition to gourmet kibble, Dulli gets tons of fresh fruit and veg every day -- all the leftovers from my dinner prep work, minus the obvious no-nos like onions. He is obsessed with broccoli stems/stalks, green beans, and apples (peeled! he is so spoiled) in particular.
Aidan the 20-pound monster cat gets Evo Turkey & Chicken dry food with an occasional can of tuna. He will crawl across fields of broken glass for his Evo, and starts meowing most pitifully as soon as his bowl begins to near emptiness.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:31 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Chester gets half normal pet food, half human vegan food. As in breakfast is from the bag, dinner is usually half of my dinner. I've tried to feed him vegan dog food, but even when it's just 10% vegan 90% non vegan he puked it up. Whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:19 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I guess i'm just lucky that Chester loves steamed vegetables, although since I haven't eaten meat in the entire time i've had him, I haven't really seen him react to meaty things. My father-in-law doesn't cook so he just keeps shiitake like ham salad and lunch meat in the house (and if he ever tried to feed that shiitake to Chester I would kill him).

And along that line, my FIL feeds his dogs like the opposite diet: the meatiest food he can find, plus canned Pedigree. And it is the nastiest smelling stuff ever. Chester has to eat at least 30 minutes later because I can't stand to be around the smell. They also have looser, stinkier stools. I feed my cats little cans of seafood and chicken cat food sometimes so it's not just because it's meat, it's because it's nas-tay.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear