| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: EDMONTON: the thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:56 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

oh my god. holy shiitake. that's what that was this morning. i live RIGHT THERE but didn't even know what happened. wow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:57 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:58 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

i am in shock. holy crepe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:14 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Is your apartment okay whichsarah?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:59 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

yeah, our place is totally fine. i live in a house a block away, and all i noticed was that it smelled a bit smoky.

kecap, we should get together soon! send me an email and we'll work something out. (whichsarah AT gmail DOT com)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:55 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Edmonton meet-up soon/ever? I would still love to meet you all :)

And that is so sad about Lagano Skies!!!!! I loved that place.

And sorry to take so long answering everything. Yes, there is a U of A health/dental plan for grad students - it covers about 80% of everything and there are certain places where you can go and get an extra discount, which is always nice. There is a pharmacy on-campus in the bookstore, and lots of anything else you may need. Transit is alright I guess - the train system isn't that great, but I find the buses okay. I live about 5 blocks from Whyte Ave and only 3 blocks from 109 Street (a main artery in the city), and there are tons of buses that go everywhere I essentially need them to.
The winters are super cold, and walking back and forth can be rough, but long underwear are definitely a life-saver. You'll need a warm pair of boots (preferably waterproof as it gets slushy when the weather warms up a little), warm hat and gloves (I wore 2 pairs of heavy gloves some days, but I am always cold), and a heavy coat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:02 am 

Just a reminder that the Edmonton vegan bakesale is tomorrow at the south side Planet Organic from 11-3!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:47 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

oooh. i will hopefully remember this tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:24 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Has anyone else tried the "Go Max Go" chocolate bars yet? I stopped at Earth's General Store the other night and grabbed a Twilight bar to try. These things are unbelievable! I am totally hooked.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:03 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Earths has gomaxgo!? OMG omG OMG How did I miss this on the activist agenda? I should have known that snickers tempting me the other day was a sign!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:09 pm 

I heard EGS had them in! I haven't been there to get one yet, but I have tried them all and they are amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:06 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Hello again! Does anybody live near the U of A campus? I am looking at a basement suite on 113th and 75th. Is that a good area - ie. close to grocery stores that sell lots of produce and other vegany things? I know it's only a few blocks from the LRT and about 1 km to my building on campus. Also, if you guys rent, how much can I expect to pay in utilities? The last place I rented had it all included so I really have no idea.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:59 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I live near the university. Are you in Edmonton now? There used to be an old IGA grocery store around there but I think it closed.....it is certainly close to LRT which will be helpful. A few stops south on the LRT is Southgate shopping centre and they have a big safe-way and I find safe-way to be good in terms of carrying organics and Gardein products. Closest grocery stores within walking distance would be Sobeys on 112st and Whyte ave (so about 7 blocks N) and another Safe-way at 109th street and Whyte Ave. Planet organic is on Calgary Trail and 80 ave. I can't help you in terms of what to expect to pay in utilities. Maybe others might know.

BUT, speaking of Sobeys by the university, I sometimes stop by there on my way to work and make a little salad to go with my lunch. Just some greens, cukes, fruit, etc and they always have some meat/dairy protein. So, one morning when I was paying at the till, I mentioned to the cashier that it'd be nice to have vegan sources of protein and could she maybe pass that on to the "salad bar people". The next week I went in and low and behold, tofu and chickpeas! I was really happy to see that so I wrote a little email to that Sobeys to thank them. I received an email from the manager asking me for some other suggestions, so I suggested, bake/seasoned/grilled tofu, falafel, beans, grain/rice among other things. A few days later, I stopped by and guess what! Baked tofu, falafel, and wild rice were on the salad bar. So, just wanted to let you know that if you are in university area and looking for some options, head to Sobeys. I was impressed with her responsiveness.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks kecapcrazy. I'm not in Edmonton now, which is making my apartment/house search a bit difficult. I'm starting at the U of A in September. I'll be studying occupational therapy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:31 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Great! I work in a hospital with great OTs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:44 pm 

So great that you are moving to the city almiratanner! kecapcrazy pretty much covered the grocery stores in the area where you are looking. I live close to the planet organic mentioned, and in the same plaza-type area is a save on foods grocery store, which is my favourite in the area. It's slightly cheaper than safeway, and carries a great selection of produce (bot organic and non-organic), tofu, all kinds of gardien, soy/rice/almond/coconut milk (and hemp too I think). They also carry a few Amy's, Sol, and other products like that. Their natural foods section is also quite good, with Imagine brand soups, good cereals (great sales sometimes too), vegan toothpaste, good coffee, etc.

As for utilities, it depends on if you are splitting it with the upstairs apartment, type of heating in the place, and if you are including internet and stuff as well a water/power/heat/etc. I know we pay half of utilities (basement apartment pays other half), but internet and cable are included fully with the rent. Our half works out to an extra $100 to $150 a month depending on the time of year. Unfortunately, most of this is service fees and that type of thing more than usage.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:58 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

by the way, I was at Earth's General Store on the weekend and they are carrying Field Roast products now (6-7 different products).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:15 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

What! You guys have Field Roast in Edmonton? That is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:36 pm 

Yeah I think they started carrying them around Thanksgiving (Christmas at the latest) - I haven't tried them yet though, they're pretty expensive :S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:38 pm 

That's great! We can get Field Roast sporadically in New Westminster, but it is not easy for me to get there and I'm glad my home-province provides its deliciousness to the vegan masses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks guys! I've signed my 'rental application', whatever that is. The place we decided to go with is a bit pricier than what we were looking for, but I didn't realize Edmonton would be so expensive. Oh well. Do you think it is unreasonable for me to expect to walk 1-1.5 km to school/LRT during the freezing winter?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:13 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Vijita? Field Roast is made is BC? I had no idea?

Almiratanner, I walk to work everyday (most days) in the winter and it's fine......dress warmly and you'll be all toasty warm. Where are you moving from?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:22 pm 

kecapcrazy wrote:
Vijita? Field Roast is made is BC? I had no idea?

Nope! Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that! I think Field Roast is a Washington product but I'm not sure. But nope, it's super hard to find in BC. Karmavore in New Westminster carries it, and to my knowledge, that is it. You guys are lucky! :)

eta: Oh, I reread my post and understand your confusion. Alberta is my home province!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm coming from Vancouver. So, I'm a huge winter wimp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:16 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Edmonton! Mike/SOS and I are coming to visit July 21 - 25! We don't have a lot of time, so I'm not sure if we'll be able to do a meetup or anything, but get in touch if you would like to come out and have a drink with us or something like that. Also, what are the current hot spots for vegan food in Deadmonton? I'm definitely going to hit up Padmanadi, but I'm not sure where else to go. Any place with good vegan breakfasts these days?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next