All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Car-free PPKers?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Phoenix wrote:
Never had a license either.
My bicycle (Epona) is my friend.

Best name for a bike EVER.

I'm car free because we can't afford one. We'll see what happens when we can afford one. I'm tempted to just move to a city that has a good transit system...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Someone explain Zipcar to me!

eta: nm. I couldn't figure it out exactly from the website, but there's a zipcar wiki.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:52 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I don't have a car, but that's because I just totaled mine when I fell asleep at the wheel. Air bags are kinda cool. I definitely need a car though, I work about 30-45 mins. away.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:45 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'm 21 and have never had a car or a license. I ride the bus most of the time, walk and bike sometimes, and the boyfriend has a car that he uses every day and takes me places maybe once or twice a week. Probably the only reason I don't have one is because I can't afford it. I'll likely take my driving test some time next summer, hoping to buy a car after I graduate college and find a job (fingers crossed).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have a car, but try to limit driving to 1x per week, now that I'm closer to public transportation. People drive scary.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:04 pm 
Dead by dawn

Karma007 wrote:
I have a car, but try to limit driving to 1x per week, now that I'm closer to public transportation. People drive scary.

Yeah, I commute by bus - cheaper, more environmentally friendly, and I get to read a book instead of swear at bad drivers. I thought about getting rid of my car, but it's been paid for forever and I like the freedom of having it when I need it. I use it once a week for groceries and a second time a week maybe two out of three weeks. It'll crepe out one day and I suspect I'll go the Zipcar route instead of replacing it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

monkeytoes wrote:
Karma007 wrote:

Yeah, I commute by bus - cheaper, more environmentally friendly, and I get to read a book instead of swear at bad drivers. I thought about getting rid of my car, but it's been paid for forever and I like the freedom of having it when I need it. I use it once a week for groceries and a second time a week maybe two out of three weeks. It'll crepe out one day and I suspect I'll go the Zipcar route instead of replacing it.

My teenage daughter live about 15 minutes away with her dad, and I don't dare give up the car entirely. Plus, with running all my errands once a week, it can be quite a bit to carry. I'm pretty much still out in the 'burbs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

When I move, I want to sell my car for a couple reasons- most of the ones outlined in this thread already, plus it'd be nice to have the extra 1400 dollars.
However, I like having the ability to get somewhere quickly and easily when I need to.

It's a conundrum. My dad and SO say keep the car. I am still up in the air. Insurance, gas, and oil changes/repairs are just too much money.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:21 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

I no longer own a car, but after Alex's car was totaled we got a zip car account which gets used for groceries and day trips once or twice a month.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:10 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've never owned a car because I've never lived anywhere where it would have been necessary. Where I am at the moment, it's actually discouraged due to lack of parking space in the city. I live on a very steep hill and buses tend to be packed, so I get around on foot almost exclusively unless I need to leave town for some reason. When I buy something heavy, people are always surprised that I intend to carry it home. I have a licence but haven't driven regularly since I moved out of my parents' house before university. The only problem is that there are places that are very inconvenient to get to without one. I can't go to London for a gig and expect to get back the same night, for instance. On the other hand, I've never driven on the left side.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:23 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I don't need a car (and wouldn't want one)when I'm in London, but it gets annoying always having to borrow my parents when I'm home in Massachusetts...even though I could always take the T, but it's so forking SLOW.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:28 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I ride my scooter everywhere unless I need to go on the highway. Its really fun usually.

I want to see if I can make it entirely through the ohio winter with just the scooter and borrowing a friends car occasionally. I've never ridden it on snow or ice, but its sure to be an adventure at least.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:55 am 
Inflexitarian

I haven't had use of a car in a few months, and even when it was there, I haven't been behind the wheel myself in about a year. I got my licence once I was old enough, and it was definitely useful (and still would be) on Sydney's outskirts. It's no London or New York here, but these days I live in a closer suburb and can get most places by public transport, sometimes more quickly than sitting in traffic. I love it for the sake of the environment, but it also helps that I'm not that into driving — I prefer being the passenger even in a car.

I would like to get in a bit of driving practice at my parents' some time, because I'd like to be able to do some road trips again one day.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

I don't have a car. I can't afford it, and I can't justify it because I live in such a small town - I can walk everywhere or if I'm in a rush, get the bus. And I'm bringing my bike home from my parents' house, so now I even more don't need a car!

My driving licence actually expired last year and I couldn't be bothered to renew it. If I ever want to drive again, I'll probably have to retake my test I suppose. (Yes, I know I'm an idiot.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

Nickalya wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I need to name my new bike. I was going to bring my old bike home from my parents' house, but my dad offered me an old one of his that's actually a step up..... I want to repaint it, take the saddlebags off it and give it a name to be proud of. You know, like The Destroyer or Urban Domination Unit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:05 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I am car less and never really felt like I've needed one. Am lucky that have everything I need within walking distance and have a pretty good public transport system that can be relied on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Technically, I own a car but I can't afford gas, maintenance and insurance right now so I use public transit. I never heard of Zipcar, but it sounds badass.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:40 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ghost Lips wrote:
Nickalya wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I need to name my new bike. I was going to bring my old bike home from my parents' house, but my dad offered me an old one of his that's actually a step up..... I want to repaint it, take the saddlebags off it and give it a name to be proud of. You know, like The Destroyer or Urban Domination Unit.

I like Urban Domination Unit. That really is a name for your bike to be proud of. The Destroyer is a little less unique - what if your bike sees other Destroyers around and gets sad cos it's not original?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My bike's name is Redrum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Car free is the way to be!

I pretty much walk everywhere. Sometimes I ride my bike that's slightly too big for me, but it makes me extra tired since it's big and I kinda have to stretch a bit to grab the handles. And then there's the bus, BART, and Zipcar.

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4