| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Seen any musicals/plays/theatrical performances lately?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:16 pm 
Hip Goiter

TheAmazonProject wrote:
This is by far my new favorite thread. I love it.

Me too!!!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:15 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I saw an amateur theatre production of Rent recently. Being in Australia, it's probably the only live performance I'll really get to see of it. My partner and I both love the film - the production was merely ok. I did really like seeing the extra songs and bits and pieces, as well as how they staged the whole thing. Also, one of my drama tutors was in it! He played Collins (I totally thought he'd be Mark, but the guy who played Mark was actually a really great actor and singer, and totally held the whole thing together, so I was glad my tutor wasn't Mark).

I also saw a university production of a play called The Anti-Shakespearean Cocktail Hour, in which four dead Shakespearean heroines get together and get drunk and talk about their mixed feelings about their creator (who later shows up). It was pretty interesting, and written by a teacher at my university. I'm studying theatre at the moment, so it was partly a requirement to go see the production (and then write about it in my journal), but it was worth it, especially as several of the actresses are in another production that I'm also in (but it's Children's Theatre, so it's veeeeery different).

ETA: Also, I really love this thread too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 pm 
Hip Goiter

I feel so sad that you haven't seen a professional production of Rent! It is the greatest. The movie SUCKED by comparison, so I will make sure you see it one day :) I bet it gets a revival in like 15 years.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:09 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

RandiJM wrote:
I feel so sad that you haven't seen a professional production of Rent! It is the greatest. The movie SUCKED by comparison, so I will make sure you see it one day :) I bet it gets a revival in like 15 years.

They're actually auditioning for a new Broadway production of it at the moment! My partner is so so so excited! He always said he would never go to the US, especially not NYC (he says the whole incredibly rich people right next to incredibly poor people would upset him too much), but now he's thinking he may have to go back on his word, because he loves Rent! so much.
I can't see either of us affording to go anytime in the near future (we're both students, and probably will be for a while), but if this next production lasts for anywhere near as long as the last one, well.....
(And of course, we'll totally be hitting up PPKers for places to stay/awesome people to hang out with).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:23 pm 
Hip Goiter

Oh DUH I knew that. I just searched and I found a BroadwayWorld thread about the open auditions for the revival (it's off-Broadway, not Broadway) and I had posted in it last month. Wow. My brain is going.

eta so excited for you ! I hope you get to see it!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:44 pm 
ugh

I saw American Idiot yesterday in Boston. There were lots of very talented singers and an awesome set.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'll be seeing the Vagina Monologues in mid-February and will be tabling at it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:34 pm 
Hip Goiter

I saw Seminar, Other Desert Cities, and Porgy and Bess last week. All three were first-rate. Lily Rabe is going to be a superstar. I'm pretty sure Other Desert Cities is set to win the Best Play Tony...unless Clybourne Park counts (I think it was off-Bway a few years ago). Audra and Norm are spectacular, oh my goodness. The show was wonderful too. It's not the full opera and it's not trying to be. The musical format has its own merits. So great! I can't wait to see Newsies, Evita (!!), Jesus Christ Superstar, and Leap of Faith (Raul my love).

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:08 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Not technically theater, but I saw The Intergalatic Nemesis in New Orleans last weekend. It ruled!! I'm thinking of taking a trip to Austin to see the premiere of Book 2 in June.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Bump!

I just saw "If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet" with Jake Gyllenhaal. Soooooo good, I strongly suggest it! It's a comedy that gets a little dark and then kind of rounds out at the end. About a teenage girl who's parents are doing a good job of ignoring the big issues in her life. Jake plays her young adrift uncle who has come for a visit.

A friend got tix for this from the Roundabout Theater HipTix offer. If you are between 20 and 35 you can subscribe and get tickets to their shows for 20.00. Which is awesome!

I also saw Newsies this year and I'm going back to see it again in February. Beyond love this show!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:29 pm 
Hip Goiter

You saw it! I've been deliberating, because I've heard very very mixed reviews. But I love him and I love the girl who always plays 13 year olds even though she's like my age.

I saw 'Forbidden Broadway' a few days ago, the hilarious send-up of the current stuff in theatre. It was so freaking hilarious, especially the mocking of 'Evita' and 'Once'. (Ex., in the mocking of Elena Roger (Evita), they changed the lyrics of Buenos Aires to be 'I'll tell you what you'll find in me, just an utter lack of star quality.')

In London, I saw 'Long Day's Journey into Night' with Laurie Metcalf, who was just unbelievable. I think seeing her perform live will probably stand as one of the most amazing theatrical experiences of my life. Same for 'Matilda', which is just spectacular. It needs to be trimmed before Bway (and it could use more magic), but the music is amazingly beautiful and clever. I also saw 'The Sunshine Boys' with Danny DeVito, who was great but the show was just ok. Also saw 'Wicked' again, but it was so subpar compared to Broadway, surprisingly. I think that's all. Hoping to catch a few more before I go back to London. Definitely will look into 'If There Is...'!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I will see any show thats only gonna cost me 20 bucks! Jake was an added bonus. The content really spoke to me directly for multiple reasons but I can see why people would have issues with it. I loved it and he was brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:43 am 
ugh

Bringing this thread back from the dead because I'm going to see Hedwig on Broadway in August. ijdi is going on Monday and had better tell us all about it after!!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

b.vicious wrote:
Bringing this thread back from the dead because I'm going to see Hedwig on Broadway in August. ijdi is going on Monday and had better tell us all about it after!!

Holy crow I am jealous! Not only do I love Hedwig but I so want to see NPH on Broadway!! I'm just having a really hard time pulling the trigger on these tickets, they are so expensive!

But, I am going to see If/Then on Saturday and I can't wait. I've never seen Idina Mendzel live before, but seeing Anthony Rapp again is the thrill of a lifetime for me. It's Rent 2.0!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I want to see Hedwig so badly! I saw the Off Broadway version back in the day.

In February I saw Kinky Boots and No Man's Land (with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:38 pm 
Hip Goiter

Blondie i saw No Man's Land too! i was really disappointed. Review is in the works.

My favorites so far this season were Beautiful and Bridges of Madison County. Seriously, Bridges isn't doing too well $ wise and it's a shame; it is GORGEOUS. Go see it before it closes. So so so gorgeous.

Seeing Hedwig, Rocky, and Cabaret in the next few months; Violet, Lady Day, If/Then, and Bullets in the next few weeks. This is all I do :)

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:49 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I've lived here for 8 years and only in the last few months have I gone to any shows. I finally have a job where I can't necessarily afford to go, but I won't freak out and feel the need to eat top ramen for a week if I go to the theater. I saw Waiting for Godot and Matilda last month during Broadway Week and I'm seeing Hedwig on Monday. I splurged for center orchestra seats and then my mom is coming in May and taking my husband and I to see Book of Mormon. That is probably the only musical my husband and I will ever see together.

I am SO EXCITED for Hedwig. I can't even. It's my favorite movie! Is there a Broadway soundtrack yet? Do they always make a soundtrack with the broadway cast?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:53 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I am SO EXCITED for Hedwig. I can't even. It's my favorite movie! Is there a Broadway soundtrack yet? Do they always make a soundtrack with the broadway cast?

i'm pretty sure you can still get the off-broadway recording with the original cast, but i don't think there's a recording featuring nph yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:59 pm 

Oh, that's cool! I do want to listen to that. I only have the movie soundtrack.
I just remembered, when I was super obsessed with Rent in high school I saw NPH in it in LA and he signed my program.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:07 pm 
Hip Goiter

They will most likely make a cast recording of this production because it's already selling very well.

Just got the cast recording for Beautiful! <3 <3 & the Bridges one is just like I said astounding. I also loved Gentleman's Guide this season but I don't really care for the score enough to listen to it outside the show.

Ijdi did you like Matilda? That was my favorite of last year. I saw it 3x :) It was SO much better here than in London. They made fantastic changes. It has just the most brilliant lyrics!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:12 pm 

The music was great and the acting was really great except the Matilda we saw had a REALLY bad accent, so that was very distracting. I've read the book probably 20 times and I didn't love some stuff they changed about the story. It was just darker than I remember it being. Also we had bad seats. So basically, I expected to really love it and I think I would have loved it more with a different Matilda and better seats.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Randiwi was also disappointed in No Man's Land. I should have seen Waiting for Godot but I saw it with John Goodman and Nathan Lane a couple years back so I didn't want to see it again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:55 pm 
Hip Goiter

Right?? It was such a weird play! I think I just don't get/like Pinter. I also wanted to see Waiting for Godot but I went to rush it one morning, got to the box office at 8am (opens at 10am) and there was already a line 3 blocks line so it was definitely not going to happen. :/ (Thanks for the reminder though, review will be up later tonight :) )

Has anyone seen 'All The Way'? I really want to see Bryan Cranston but I am not interested in seeing the show itself. It's on my list but down far.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:13 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Ooh! I didn't know about this thread, so yay! Last weekend I saw Sweeney Todd, which was SO SO GOOD. Considering where I live, I'm always impressed when a local theater can successfully pull of something that big. The lead was a friend of mine, and his talent basically makes me cry happy tears every time I see him on stage, so that definitely helped. I saw him in Red last fall, and it's one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen.

We're currently working on Rabbit Hole, which I'm excited about. Our cast is solid and the script is so good! I hadn't done anything with theater since the late 90's, and just got involved again, so it's been a ton of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:41 pm 
Hip Goiter

Most Happy Fella at NYCity Center Encores: forking AMAZING. Gorgeous! Still can't get over it! Laura Benanti, Shuler Hensley, Cheyenne Jackson (ughhhhh be mine), Heidi Blickenstaff - perfection.

Violet with Sutton Foster - it was ok. Not great. Pleasant though.

Rocky - OMG THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN! NO joke. Andy Karl makes it soooo good. See it and get seats in the golden circle - you go sit onstage during the fight! was amazing!

Laughfrodisiac