| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dear neighbor: keep your forking cat inside
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:10 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Cats don't seem to like stepping on chicken wire- that small-bore chicken wire, or hardware cloth as its sometimes called. You might be able to put it down in a half circle around the window and see if it deters the cat. You might be able to just lay it down on the grass or put some boards under it so there are a few cm between the wire and the grass.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:09 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

vijita wrote:
Having never owned cats, I had no idea there was such a strong case against outdoor cats. I have to admit, I'd be sad if the cats in our neighbourhood were all indoors, but they seem to be amicable with each other and we've never found dead things. Oh, and there are very few roads and a lot of deer so people are usually pretty safe drivers.

I certainly had no idea there was such strong feeling against outdoor cats! Ours gets really upset when she can't go outside, and it would seem pretty cruel to keep her cooped up indoors. (Though I guess that's probably not the case for cats who are used to being indoors; Tux was obviously used to going outside when she came to live with us.) That said, it's not as though she ever ventures beyond the back garden anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Part of the problem is that once a decision has been made for an outdoor cat, everybody in the neighborhood must live with the consequences, like them or not. Like here, cats can do whatever, but if a dog is off leash in his own front yard, it's a huge fine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:40 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Now that (dogs not being allowed to run about in their own yards) does seem bizarre to me. Maybe it's just a regional or country thing; I've never heard of anywhere over here having those kinds of regulations, and had never heard of anybody having an indoor cat until I moved to a big city.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:44 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

trash wrote:
Now that (dogs not being allowed to run about in their own yards) does seem bizarre to me. Maybe it's just a regional or country thing; I've never heard of anywhere over here having those kinds of regulations, and had never heard of anybody having an indoor cat until I moved to a big city.

Some animals shelters here recommend keeping cats indoors, cats protection league mentioned it to my brother. Mr Angus has been a house cat all his 18 years, he has his run and goes out into the garden on his harness. He would have been dead long ago if he had been an outdoor cat. Keeping cats indoors tends to be more popular in the US because kitties there have more predators.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:48 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

fezza wrote:
trash wrote:
Keeping cats indoors tends to be more popular in the US because kitties there have more predators.

That hadn't even occurred. Thanks! The more you know...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:49 pm 
Naked Under Apron

At the shelter near me, the rule is that, if someone wants a cat, they have to promise to keep the cat indoors at night. Outside during the day is OK, but they have to be inside at night.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

crowderpea wrote:

My roommate's cat, though, sucks. Outdoor cat, 20+lbs, obese and possibly diabetic

That is really cruel and oppressive language.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:59 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I get not enjoying having that animal have to live with you, but I don't think it's really fair to characterize a cat as murderous. Cats will do what cats will do.

Cats also are not super fond of citrus so I don't know if there's some way for you spray a little orange oil or something in front of the window? Then you wouldn't change Molly's view.

The case against outdoor cats is both that other people have to deal with your animal and also that it's just plain bad for the cat. They have shorter lifespans, get sick, get in fights, and get hit by cars. Why would you want to subject an animal you love to things like that?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My cats are indoors only and have been since they were kittens. I'm sure they'd love to go outside and kill birds but they seem pretty happy indoors and I'd prefer them not to get hit by a car, get a tick or wander off and get lost.

Here cats kill a lot of wildlife and people are encouraged to keep their cats indoors, especially at night but I think most people don't. When we moved to this complex we mentioned to one neighbour that we have cats and were going to ask permission to keep them and he said "As long as they don't cause trouble for my cat" and I told him they're indoor-only and wanted to add "Maybe your cat should be too" as we live right on a 6 lane, main road. His cat is always outdoors and doesn't wear a collar... sigh.

LavaWitch, it's not cruel to use the hose if you don't hose directly at the cat just splash some water near it and good luck getting it to leave Molly alone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

sneakers wrote:
I get not enjoying having that animal have to live with you, but I don't think it's really fair to characterize a cat as murderous. Cats will do what cats will do.

Cats also are not super fond of citrus so I don't know if there's some way for you spray a little orange oil or something in front of the window? Then you wouldn't change Molly's view.

The case against outdoor cats is both that other people have to deal with your animal and also that it's just plain bad for the cat. They have shorter lifespans, get sick, get in fights, and get hit by cars. Why would you want to subject an animal you love to things like that?

Nobody has called cats "murderous." I said this cat terrorizes small animals in my yard, and that is an entirely accurate description. I even said I know he is just being a cat doing cat things.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:44 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

If I ever have another cat (unlikely), it will definitely be an indoor kitty. In addition to the safety issues for the cat, I also worry about local fauna. Cats are devastating on songbird populations, for example.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:01 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lavawitch wrote:
Is it mean to spray a cat with a garden hose?

Yes but I bet it would be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:38 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

caterpillar wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Is it mean to spray a cat with a garden hose?

Yes but I bet it would be fun.

Gross.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:47 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

sneakers wrote:

Outdoor cats are also really bad for birds"an estimated 500 million birds killed every year by cats"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:11 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

lavawitch wrote:
Nobody has called cats "murderous." I said this cat terrorizes small animals in my yard, and that is an entirely accurate description. I even said I know he is just being a cat doing cat things.

lavawitch, I was speaking to crowderpea. Probably would help for clarity's sake if I had quoted, of course ;)

crowderpea wrote:
My roommate's cat, though, sucks. Outdoor cat, 20+lbs, obese and possibly diabetic, hateful, mean. He has almost killed a small dog, stalks my dog, swats at me if I walk by him, and murders animals all the time. Usually her murders birds or squirrels, but the most recent carnage was a baby bunny. ...

So I'm a little bitter towards murderous cats. Not only does the lifespan of an outdoor cat end up being pretty short, but I firmly believe that cats will cause mayhem and destruction if left to their own devices.

Sorry your birdie can't have his window due to a menacing cat.

Anyhoo, good luck coming up with a solution that works for you, the kitty, Molly, and the baby squirrel!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:29 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

¡gato! wrote:
crowderpea wrote:

My roommate's cat, though, sucks. Outdoor cat, 20+lbs, obese and possibly diabetic

That is really cruel and oppressive language.

Well, it's true. He is overweight and has a multitude of health problems. He can't clean himself because he is so large. And I really think that if he were indoors, his food intake could be monitored. As it is, he roams the neighborhood eating other cat food as well as his own.

Yes, I said he sucks. Obviously, I would never wish him harm, but I don't have to like him. What I find cruel and oppressive is that he has been allowed to be so overweight and unhealthy. I can say he sucks all day long, but that isn't going to do him nearly the harm that his weight will.

And I shouldn't have used "murder." I understand that cats have an instinct and that they are going to kill small animals when they get the chance. Perhaps I let my frustration at his having sent at least one dog to the emergency vet (and come close to sending my dog there as well) and the sheer number of animals he kills influence my choice of words.

Back to the main issue, I've heard that cats don't like citrus. Maybe a combination of some sort of chicken wire flat on the ground or citrus oil might work.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:03 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Fatty and my second cat, Wonder Mutt, were both outdoor cats because we could not keep them inside. Fatty was born in an alley and Wonder Mutt, I assume, wanted to go where she went.

Then Wonder Mutt got eaten by a coyote and Fatty was no longer allowed to go outdoors.

So yeah, it's much safer for cats to be inside. More than getting into fights, I would worry about cars first and unleashed dogs second. Also, i've had cats who would hang out in our windowsills and drive my cats insane, and yeah, it's super annoying!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:34 am 
Discovered unobtainium

At least here, cars aren't much of an issue. The community is closed and built around a lake, so it's a massive subdivision of culdesacs off a loop road with 20 mph speed limit and no through traffic. If it was safe for me to learn on my bike, it's definitely safe for a cat. Outdoor cats are probably as safe as they can get unless they are small enough to be in danger from all the hawks.

My dad is building a raised bed box so I can put lavender and rosemary under the window. Worst case, it will be really pretty, and I'll make lots of foccaccia.

Alternately, maybe I can plant some of that catnip Desdemona had in the front yard and just keep the cat in a state of drugged out bliss? (joking)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:35 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Okay I need to revive this to ask if anyone has had any personal success with these herbs that will keep cats out. We just moved in and had this great (expensive) 6 foot wood fence built for the dogs. Unfortunately the neighborhood cats just see the fence as a mere obstacle and someone is reeeeally aggressive toward cats. I need something extra around the fence to protect the cats from their own curiosity. Cat lives are definitely in danger. I put out dish soap and vinegar because the Internet recommended, but its a pretty large area so I can't see putting vinegar out daily. I'd love to put some herbs out, but it will be expensive to line all of the fence so I would like something someone has tried before with good results.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:42 am 
Semen Strong

I would love to know as well. Our neighbor's dogs killed our white feral kitten a few months ago, and I know they'd love to keep the cats out too.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:43 am 
Saggy Butt

Put some catnip up there. That'll fix it.