| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you really replace your running shoes every 6 months?!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:07 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

...If so, how do you not hate doing it?

Every year or so, I start getting shin splints and knee pain, and I remember "oh yeah, it's been a while since I bought these running shoes." I figure out how much running I've done since I bought them and always realize I'm over the recommended 300-500 miles per pair of shoes... and waaaay past the recommended "replace every six months" rule. So--begrudgingly--I know it's time to buy a new pair of shoes.

But I hate having to buy new shoes all the time! I don't even do it as often as I'm supposed to and it seems overwhelming. It also seems really wasteful (even if I donate them to a good cause, it seems wasteful of my money to keep buying pricy shoes).

Do you all replace your running shoes regularly? Do you resent it as much as I do? Any advice/thoughts (if only to help me stop resenting it)?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Do you really replace your running shoes every 6 months?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I had the same mental issue when I first found out about the 500 miles thing! My marathon runner friend said he just tries to keep an eye out for sales and buys them when they're cheap, whether it's time yet or not, since he knows he'll need them eventually. That way at least he never pays full price.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:48 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I've been troubled by this, too. I've just started running, so I'm on my first pair of shoes that are really seeing work outs. I think City Sports has a recycling program? I think as long as you're donating or recycling the old shoes then it's not as bad. It's an investment, but some hobbies are more expensive than others. I think that's a good idea about buying when the shoes are on sale and having them on hold. I may do that if I see a pair of my frankenshoes on sale. (I need motion control sneakers; none of which are stylist in the least bit, but they really keep my body feeling better than any other shoes before.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:54 pm 
Chard Martyr

Yes, it sucks, but OH MY GOSH it feels sooo good to put that new pair of shoes on.
Check sales bins at running shoe stores. Plus, if you keep up with replacing them at least somewhat regularly, you will avoid injury!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:26 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I replace religiously around 300 miles, because without fail, that's when I start getting weird shin pains and nagging aches.

I don't like to hurt, so I suck it up and spend the dough on shoes. I buy 3 pairs per year, on average. Considering that's about the only equipment expense to running, I don't mind it. I also keep an eye out for sales on "last season's" shoes and stock up via sales when I can!

After 300 miles, I'll still continue to use my old running shoes for walking and daily wear... just not for running anymore. They tend to still look new (albeit dirty from the trails), even after 300 miles. So they're still wearable :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:26 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yup, definitely stock up. I have several pairs of shoes in my closet that I got for about $30 each. Putting on new shoes is the best ever. You can absolutely tell the difference.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:41 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

If you look at the sides of your shoes (on the foamy part -- the sole? I'm tired) and see little creases/wrinkles, it wouldn't hurt to take them in to a running store. If you're going to a store that's specifically for running, the salespeople should be honest with you. I've brought mine in and have been told I could wait before purchasing a new pair. They'll probably look at the bottoms of your shoes, too, to see what kind of wear there is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Quote:
After 300 miles, I'll still continue to use my old running shoes for walking and daily wear... just not for running anymore.

I do this too!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:52 am 
Nailed to the V

luckyklutz wrote:
Yup, definitely stock up. I have several pairs of shoes in my closet that I got for about $30 each. Putting on new shoes is the best ever. You can absolutely tell the difference.

I hadn't thought of this stocking up idea, but I like it a lot! My first pair of serious shoes are getting to the end of their useful life, and I don't want to pay full price for another.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:41 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

another person chiming in on the stocking-up idea!
my bf is a much more serious runner than i am and he just keeps an eye out for sales whenever he passes by a running store. saves him loads of money!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 am 

I haven't done this yet, but you can bet your asparagus that I'm going to. Especially since I found the frankenshoes that help me those most (a pair of Brooks, I think Adrenaline?)!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:16 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I do replace mine about that often. They retire into walking shoes. When I start to get more aches and pains post run it's usually time for a new pair and when I do get the new pair, I notice relief.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:35 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Mine retire into walking shoes, too, but I don't need to replace walking shoes as often as I need to replace my running shoes, so it only works once every 2 years... whereas I have to replace my running shoes more often than that.

I keep telling myself I'm not just paying for new shoes, I am paying not to be in pain. But still, it's hard to justify.

City Sports has a shoe recycling program?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:42 pm 

My friend who told me that left the office for the day, but I'll ask her tomorrow morning about the City Sports thing. She mentioned it to me when I accidentally bought non-vegan hiking boots. Merrell exchanged them and donated the slightly worn pair to Soles 4 Souls.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:50 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

What brands of running shoes do you recommend? Are there any common vegan go to brands I can find at Kohl's or other department stores or do you rely mostly online?
I worry about ordering shoes online because of the whole sizing correctly issue, and I hate have to mail things back because I am lazy and irritable.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:30 pm 

I really like Brooks, they talk about being mostly vegan on their blog here:

Quote:
http://talk.brooksrunning.com/2008/10/14/vegan-shoes-oryes-our-running-shoes-are-vegan-too/

I think a lot of running shoes are made with synthetic materials though. For getting the right fit, I can't recommend going to a running specific store enough. In the Boston area there's a store called Marathon sports, and they've helped me so much with finding the right shoe and fit. I actually ended up getting a larger size than I normally where (to allow my toes room to spread out) and I had the opposite pronation problem than I had though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:34 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Thanks!

And is that you in your avatar? Because you are super pretty and remind me of Regina Spektor in that pic!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:37 pm 

Ha, it is me! Thank you, I get the Regina Spektor thing a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I wear Mizuno running shoes - they say they are vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:09 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Asics for me. I think there was a thread on vegan running shoes a while ago, but I can't find it... maybe it was in the old forum?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:33 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

My sister works at the Running Room here in Toronto and they take used old running shoe donations. I gave her a few pairs of my old ones recently. I guess they refurbish/recycle them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:03 pm 

vegetalion wrote:
Mine retire into walking shoes, too, but I don't need to replace walking shoes as often as I need to replace my running shoes, so it only works once every 2 years... whereas I have to replace my running shoes more often than that.

I keep telling myself I'm not just paying for new shoes, I am paying not to be in pain. But still, it's hard to justify.

City Sports has a shoe recycling program?

I checked in with my friend, and she said she just dropped the shoes off at the City Sports at Legacy Place in Dedham. She told the sales associate that she had a pair of shoes to recycle, they said cool and took them. I would imagine that's the case at all City Sports, but I couldn't find any information on their website about the program.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:06 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ndpittman wrote:
I checked in with my friend, and she said she just dropped the shoes off at the City Sports at Legacy Place in Dedham. She told the sales associate that she had a pair of shoes to recycle, they said cool and took them. I would imagine that's the case at all City Sports, but I couldn't find any information on their website about the program.

Cool, thanks! I'll ask there sometime. I know a couple stores on Newbury Street take shoe donations, but I'm never down there... whereas I'm around Porter a lot.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:28 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I've read recommendations to keep two pairs of shoes. Not only is it supposed to be better for the longevity of the shoes to alternate pairs to let them dry out completely between runs, but it can also help to have a second pair to use as a frame of reference to tell when your older pair has lost its cushioning.

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]