| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:09 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

after a winter of eating really terrible food, i'm back on the no-sugar wagon. i mashed up a whole banana into my hot cereal this morning - soooo much better than putting sugar or maple syrup on it!

does anyone have experience making their own date syrup? how long does it keep? dates are amaaazing but i feel like they sometimes add a weird texture to things i put them in? I don't know, maybe i'm crazy.

thankfully this isn't TOO hard for me, since i don't have much of a sweet tooth. but i put either demerara sugar or maple syrup in my hot cereal and while i drink my coffee plain, i do enjoy sweetened coffee drinks from time to time. what's everyone's favourite sugar replacement in hot chocolate? i'm reluctant to buy stevia and xylitol and all these things because i have a reeeeally limited budget and if it doesn't work for its intended purpose, well, that's about $10 that i could have spent on other food, completely wasted.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

i like maple syrup in my hot chocolate! if not, a little stevia is ok. i was scared of it at first, but i found a tiny bottle for cheap and i like it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

RandiJM wrote:
Yeah I have been a sugar bum lately bc I am miserab. Then of course I feel like shiitake (like holy shiitake right now) and the cycle continuessss

It started for me because I found some rice milk chocolate easter eggs, then I got more rice milk chocolate and then a brownie and then I baked brownies and now I've had a fuzzy head for a few days. Blerg.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:43 pm 
Hip Goiter

Last night I had the PAN Green Carpet Gala (went with Dynahmite! So fun!). They had like 9 Vegan Treats cakes for dessert, and it was a help yourself kinda deal. So our side of the table got one huge slice of each freaking cake to share. They were amazing, obviously. And now I still feel sick. I never want to eat cake/dessert/sugar ever again. Ever. I'm sure I will get over it soon, but dayum that feel of sugar overload can really get you back on the wagon!

Worth it though :)

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:23 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I think I need to jump back on the no sugar/low sugar bandwagon...I have been eating sooo much white flour and sugar and junk food that I am getting out of control and feeling sick. But the feeling sick doesn't seem to stop me and the craving just increases...so, I am rejoining you all. I have already cut back down on my soda intake, which I think is good. The past week I've had 2 diet cokes (ew, I don't even like coke), as opposed to the few weeks before when I was having a soda every day or so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My sinus pain is back and I'm sure it's due to the sugar so I'm going to try to go back to sugar free. Wish me luck, lots of it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:22 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

veganverite wrote:
I'm currently participating in jae steele's sugar-free spring cleanse. You can read more about it here: http://veganverite.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... r-bye-bye/

Just so you know, we avoid talk of cleanses here.

Quote:
1- No cleanses. If you are on a juice cleanse, a no-food cleanse, a vegetable cleanse, whatever - please do not post about it here! As long as you have a functioning liver, kidney and spleen we'll be happy to hear about it, but all other cleanses have historically been triggers for disordered eating. Which leads us to...

While cutting back on sugar can be a good thing for anyone, no one needs to cleanse or detoxify their innards. There really is no need to frame dietary modifications with the word "cleanse."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

radish wrote:
Good luck!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:37 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Good luck, Kitteh! Maybe if you make a deal with yourself, it'll be easier to stick to it. My deal is that if I can be sugar-free for a month, I'll let myself buy more nailpolish and since there are a couple of colors I really, really want, I think I can stick this out and when the month is over, I'll be used to the low/no-sugar thing so I won't fall back into my old habits as easily.

I need to get back on this bandwagon as well. I was doing well until a couple of weeks ago when I decided I needed to bake something and made cookies. While I used maple syrup/brown rice syrup, they still had more sugar than I was used to and I ate them all by myself which didn't help things, either. And now I feel like crepe because even though I'm doing the raw thing and aiming for 75-80% a day, the other 20-25% has been filled with sugary junk.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:01 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I think I need to go grocery shopping...I am having hardcore cravings already (day 2), and I think fruit might be the answer. I figure fruit sugar is fine, just no more crepe food. So. Hard.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

gaia13 wrote:
Good luck, Kitteh! Maybe if you make a deal with yourself, it'll be easier to stick to it. My deal is that if I can be sugar-free for a month, I'll let myself buy more nailpolish and since there are a couple of colors I really, really want, I think I can stick this out and when the month is over, I'll be used to the low/no-sugar thing so I won't fall back into my old habits as easily.

I need to get back on this bandwagon as well. I was doing well until a couple of weeks ago when I decided I needed to bake something and made cookies. While I used maple syrup/brown rice syrup, they still had more sugar than I was used to and I ate them all by myself which didn't help things, either. And now I feel like crepe because even though I'm doing the raw thing and aiming for 75-80% a day, the other 20-25% has been filled with sugary junk.

I like the idea of a deal, especially if it includes nail polish as the reward ;)

I think for now I'll be ok as my sinus pain is getting worse and the thought of sugar and how much worse I'll get is off-putting. But I'm sure as soon as I'm better I'll forget all about it and want to bake cookies or cake. I hope you can hop back on too :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:02 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I am officially (unfortunately) joining this thread. I love me some sugar!

However, I think I'm continuing to have gout flares because of my love of it. Without reading through 21 pages of posts, what has been most helpful to you in cutting out sugar?

I'm one of those people who *needs* dessert every day, and fruit doesn't equal dessert in my book. Any recommendations for things that kill a sweet tooth craving?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:29 pm 
Hip Goiter

Right now: frozen mango, frozen banana, coconut milk.

hooooly

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:18 am 

I fell off and have eaten lots of sugary-fatty type junk foods in the last few weeks. I need to get back on though, so I'm going to try and go cold turkey, no processed/refined sugars. We'll see how well this works! (So no baked goods-I got odwalla bars which I believe have no refined sugars, so they're good, but tons of fruit! hooray!)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:01 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ScooterDiva wrote:
I am officially (unfortunately) joining this thread. I love me some sugar!

However, I think I'm continuing to have gout flares because of my love of it. Without reading through 21 pages of posts, what has been most helpful to you in cutting out sugar?

I'm one of those people who *needs* dessert every day, and fruit doesn't equal dessert in my book. Any recommendations for things that kill a sweet tooth craving?

honestly, my advice is to NOT go cold turkey - that leads inevitably into rebounding & feeling much worse than you did before. be kind to yourself, take baby steps, & you're much more likely to stick with it! doing a temporary "sugar cleanse" isn't going to do you much good, health-wise, so I think you're much better off gradually training yourself to eat less sugar. much more healthy, sustainable, & keeps you sane. ;)

so I suggest that if you're used to eating a sugary dessert every night, don't give up on cakes & cookies altogether, just look into low-sugar alternatives. for now there's probably nothing else that will satisfy that craving, but if you gradually wean yourself off the chocolate-covered sugar bombs you'll find yourself craving them less & less.

at least, that's how it happened for me! I used to crave something super sugary after every meal, but now I'm satisfied with fresh fruit. in fact, I'm enjoying fruit more than I ever enjoyed cookies, if you can believe it! when my birthday came along I didn't even want cake, so I went to a vegan restaurant that served a raw cheesecake made out of fruit & nuts. ;) but I didn't change overnight, that's for sure. allow yourself an adjustment period & I think you'll have better results.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:03 pm 

Thanks, corduroy!

I did try a raw cheesecake a few weeks ago and was surprised at how good it was! I could definitely see that as my dessert replacement. I had eaten a raw mousse pie thingy a year or so ago and it was awful, so I expected all raw desserts to be terrible. I braved the cheesecake and it was fantastic. Now I just need to make my own that will measure up, as I'm not paying $5 for a slice of cheesecake every night.

I agree that cold turkey probably isn't the best way to go. Any recommended cookbooks that use agave, brown rice syrup, etc for their desserts? I'd rather stay away from stevia, as even though it's natural, it still has a bitter aftertaste to me.

Yay for you and your fruit desserts! I'm hoping to get there someday :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 am 
Tofu Pup

I got off sugar a year ago because I wanted to think more clearly, and besides that I thought it had something to do with my migraine headaches. I no longer have migraine headaches, and they were up to like 3 days(?). I'm not sure about the thinking more clearly! I lost 45 -50 lbs. I'm back to around my usual weight. I went back to sugar toward the end of the year of being off of it - maybe 4 or 5 times. I have been a sugar addict throughout my life. Two years prior to the year that I was off of sugar I was eating sugar fulltime! I was addicted to sugar the way people are in the book: "Potatoes Not Prozac" - odd title for a book about sugar addiction. If I ate a little bit of sugar in a cookie or whatever I would just start eating sugar(as cake, cookies, or ice cream) all the time and forget about regular food. I couldn't even get myself to eat regular food. The bakery was like my crack dealer. The 4 or 5 times that I went back to sugar in the last few months - I didn't end up binging like before. They were just isolated incidents of eating sugar. I marveled at the fact that I wasn't becoming a sugar addict again. I felt the pull to eat more sugar after eating a dessert, but I didn't give into it. And that pull lasted for about a week. I have no interest in sugar anymore. I can walk by Ring Dings or the ice cream section without a thought of purchasing those items. I don't think that I'll lapse again, hopefully. It was a bad coping mechanism. I know this - that sugar is a drug.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ScooterDiva wrote:
Thanks, corduroy!

I did try a raw cheesecake a few weeks ago and was surprised at how good it was! I could definitely see that as my dessert replacement. I had eaten a raw mousse pie thingy a year or so ago and it was awful, so I expected all raw desserts to be terrible. I braved the cheesecake and it was fantastic. Now I just need to make my own that will measure up, as I'm not paying $5 for a slice of cheesecake every night.

I agree that cold turkey probably isn't the best way to go. Any recommended cookbooks that use agave, brown rice syrup, etc for their desserts? I'd rather stay away from stevia, as even though it's natural, it still has a bitter aftertaste to me.

Raw websites/blogs/cookbooks use agave for desserts and there's an agave-sweetened cupcake in VCTOTW if you feel like something baked.

I had some sugar on Saturday after 3-4 days sugar free, I didn't fee terrible and haven't had any sugar since. My sinus pain has gone but I still feel a bit blerg, so I'm going to stick with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ScooterDiva wrote:
Thanks, corduroy!

I'm actually terrible at baking, which probably made it easier to give up baked goods ;) so I don't have any cookbook recommendations unfortunately, but you can try using less sugar in your favorite recipes to start with. I did find this neat blog recently that has some great sounding dessert recipes with little to no sugar: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/

also, I've found that dried fruit (especially mango...mmm!) and treats like Larabars can sometimes kill a sugar craving when fresh fruit just won't do (or isn't readily available). Can you find Larabars in your area? I love those things - a little spendy, but not compared to a $5 slice of cheesecake :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:10 pm 

I've been mostly sugar free the last few days. Made bread and used cider (so... natural-ish sweetener?). I've been eating the odwalla bars, since they have no refined sugar when I've been seriously craving sugar (They are vegan, right? I miss so many things... Such a n00b).

Feel good. I'm logging my foods and consistently coming up lower than expected, which I assume is because I'm not eating processed junk as much. Getting most of my nutrients in, which is great. The cravings are sudden and intense, but they don't last super long.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:23 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Have been mostly sugarfree for the last few days,
definitely notice more stabalized moods and energy levels already

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:01 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Wow jmaxwell you have come a long way! That is really inspiring!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:09 pm 

Had almost an entire chocolate bar today. Was really jonesing for sugar, but feel like shiitake now. Hopefully that'll be it for at least several days... Good luck to everyone else!! :)

Ponypal, I feel the same way, when I'm not falling off the wagon. Feel way better, more stabilized.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Great NYT article about whether sugar is toxic:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magaz ... ted=1&_r=1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 30  Next