| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stationary Bicycles/Trainer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:51 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I was wondering if any of you guys have a stationary bicycle or bicycle trainer? For the holidays I wanted to buy a stationary bicycle, but all of my cyclist friends kind of laughed at me and told me to just buy a trainer. For nearly the same price range, it has a lot less functions, and I think I would miss them. I, after all, do not race like they do, I just want to keep in shape over the winter.

So, do you have one or the other? Do you recommend one over the other? And which brand/model would you suggest for either option? I'm trying to stay under $500.

Post subject: Re: Stationary Bicycles/Trainer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

If you already have a functioning bike, you'd be better off with a trainer or rollers. Nashbar/Performance has decent ones for well under $200. Craiglist always has them posted. An affordable exercise bike is going to feel janky & not be analogous to actual riding. Nice spin bikes cost more than real ones. Either way, they are loud & pretty boring. If you are able, you might consider a gym membership w/ a spin class for the winter months. It'd probably cost less overall & the group aspect really helps motivation.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:58 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My husband has a CycleOps trainer (the magnetic kind) that he uses sometimes in the winter. It's kind of noisy but he's pretty pleased with it. He also had a set of rollers that he got for free from somebody who got them for free from somebody else and on and on. I think the reason people kept giving them away is because they were forking terrifying to use. I can't think of the brand and maybe there are better ones out there, but that thing was a death trap.

With your budget you could get a nice fluid trainer. That's what I'd do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:10 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i use a bell trainer it was like 40 bucks. it gets the jobbie done!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:16 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

matters your budget but if you have a bike I would go with rollers/trainer.

rollers might take a little to get use to but are more realistic (for the price) and will give you better form. I picked up a cheap set off nashbar when it was on sale and they had an extra 20% off and free shipping.

as said above if you have the money pick up a fluid trainer but they can get pricey.

for either option cruise your local CL and youll be sure to find something that will work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

How seriously do you ride? I chose rollers over a trainer because besides the crazy intense cardio, it's been a great tool for balance and smoothing out my cadence. Don't mind the scrapes on the elbows from bumping in to the doorframe (where I park it so I don't fall off).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:19 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My dad has a stationary bike, which doesn't feel like a real bike to me at all. As far as machines go, I prefer ellipticals. Maybe you can find a way to try a stationary bike and decide whether it meets your requirements.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:21 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Thanks for the input! With a trainer, is there a problem with two people using it? My boyfriend and I definitely have differently sized bikes, would we be having to switch them out each time or does it not really matter since it's going to be on a trainer?

I have used stationary bikes at my university gym and I really like them because of the different settings (calories/time, differing resistance without having to get up and change it...), but like the rest of you my boyfriend is really pushing for a trainer. We will be moving back to his parents next month and they already have an old elliptical machine and treadmill, I just also want to be riding since it's easier on my joints.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

On the Cycle-ops I had, you just tightened the roller part enough to make contact with the tire. I don't see a problem with swapping different sized bikes. You could get a bike computer that sensed cadence
and heart rate if you want a metric. Speed and distance would be 0, since the front wheel is still. Not quite worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:46 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I have a stationary bike and I really love it. It use it nearly everyday. It gets my heart pumping and the blood flowing just fine.