| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Jersey! - Only the Strong Survive
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:34 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Tried searching but didn't find anything.....Has anyone eaten at Toast in Montclair?

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:37 am 
Semen Strong

I ate there a few years ago. They have the worst tofu scramble ever. Its literally a block of tofu with no seasonings and I think you pay extra for any veggies you want. The reviews were all pretty bad, but we went anyway bc its near where my BIL works.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:59 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:
I ate there a few years ago. They have the worst tofu scramble ever. Its literally a block of tofu with no seasonings and I think you pay extra for any veggies you want. The reviews were all pretty bad, but we went anyway bc its near where my BIL works.

Hmmm....ok, thanks. Yea, I see a lot of mixed reviews online. I found them when searching online for somewhere to go with my mom for Easter Brunch. Still not sure what we are gonna do...Trying to pick somewhere halfway between her in Bergen, and me in Morris..

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 pm 
Semen Strong

Can you go to Rutherford Pancake House? You'll be able to have a fantastic meal and its only a few more minutes down Route 3.

Toast isn't only bad if your vegan (they don't even have soymilk for coffee if memory serves), there is always a crazy long line to get in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:
Can you go to Rutherford Pancake House? You'll be able to have a fantastic meal and its only a few more minutes down Route 3.

Toast isn't only bad if your vegan (they don't even have soymilk for coffee if memory serves), there is always a crazy long line to get in.

Yea, that is what I think we should do...I love it there!! We were initially just trying to stay closer to me, but its worth the extra 10 minute drive for me. I haven't been there in a few months...definitely should do that. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:12 pm 
Semen Strong

Their waffles are AMAZING! I really want a strawberry waffle with vegan sausage patties and maple syrup now. <3

Have a great Easter with your mom!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Hey New Jerseyites!

Go Lightly in Montclair has vegan icecream!!!!!! Its all custom made and most of it isn't soy based - instead its on a hemp, coconut and cashew base. For this week the flavors are:

Hemp Chocolate
Hemp Vanilla
Hemp Maple Walnut
Hemp Blueberry
Hemp Cookies and Cream
Hemp Mocha Almond Fudge
Soy Chocolate Chip Cookie
Soy Coffee

Go Lightly is located at 4 So. Fullerton Street in Montclair. They also currently have vegan Easter chocolates!

Read here for more: http://www.veggiegirl.com/2011/04/18/ve ... o-lightly/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:23 pm 
protein lump

Tofulish wrote:
Their waffles are AMAZING! I really want a strawberry waffle with vegan sausage patties and maple syrup now. <3

Have a great Easter with your mom!

also, they have carrot cake pancakes right now as an easter special... WANT!

michael and i tried via roma for the first time over the weekend and holy crepe. so good! we happened to be coming back from south jersey, but i would definitely drive down there just for dinner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh that sounds amazing!

I've heard such good things about Via Roma. Your recommendation makes me really want to go there so much!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:34 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofulish wrote:

augh! i really need to go there for breakfast one of these days!

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:11 am 
Hip Goiter

Ooh I want that hemp ice cream!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:27 am 
Semen Strong

We could do a PPK waffles meet-up, with a stop at Go Lightly for icecream!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:38 pm 
protein lump

waffles and ice cream! yes!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:41 pm 
Semen Strong

Any day you want esme!!!!!! Are you going to the potluck on 4/23 next week?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I got take-out from via roma a month or so ago. It was good - though I think it was really just basic italian with daiya & gardein chikn strips instead of regular. Three brothers in L.I. definitely has more inventive/made from scratch stuff. Though I'm not really complaining - I will probably go to via roma every time I visit my mom or dad, who both live near there (they always want to eat out so it is so nice to have a decent vegan option!).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

youthtildeath wrote:
xstartxtodayx wrote:
Does anybody remember when Kaya's Kitchen was Veggie Works - hands down, the best veg restaurant NJ has ever seen. Back then, the prices were reasonable and fair and they had that amazing all you can eat organic salad bar. The best was getting a huge salad topped with a combination of their creamy garlicy dressing and the asian vinaigrette, I DREAM ABOUT THOSE SALADS! And then you got the bread basket with that delicious raisin walnut bread with a healthy scoop of earth balance. They had amazing entrees - Enchiladas, french onion soup topped with veganrella (which was the shitaake back in the day), grilled seitan steak with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies, perogies!, and towards the end they got those chkn legs with the sticks in them which they bbqed! Holy moly, it was great. Then, afterward I'd go to Strollos and get soft serve italian ice on a cone - peanut butter italian ice with chocolate sprinkles, yess! Still, my summertime favorite.

Now, I wish I could like them, but I can't justify paying those prices when I know I can pay just about the same, and get a 5-star meal at Horizons in Philly.

two words: Singing Cowboy

What is singing cowboy?

I totally hear ya, xstartxtodayx. I remember veggie works and it was indeed awesome. Even the old Kaya's kitchen was great, but I ate at their new location in December and was kind of disappointed. The veggie side was pretty blah, and the mashed potatoes had jarred garlic on them. Especially for the price, I want fresh garlic. It just wasn't the old creative menu at all.

I'm going to be vacationing near lambertville May 6 - 9. I hope I can get a meal at Kindle. It looks like they only do the supper club thing on Friday's at 7:30, which is too late for me because of my kid's bedtime. Boo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:53 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Aubade wrote:
What is singing cowboy?

if i remember correctly, it was a fried seitan cutlet served with mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, and gravy. drooool.

Aubade wrote:
I totally hear ya, xstartxtodayx. I remember veggie works and it was indeed awesome. Even the old Kaya's kitchen was great, but I ate at their new location in December and was kind of disappointed. The veggie side was pretty blah, and the mashed potatoes had jarred garlic on them. Especially for the price, I want fresh garlic. It just wasn't the old creative menu at all.

i hate to get down on them, but i'm not impressed with their current incarnation either. the sauce on one entree (an Asian stir fry sort of thing) was seriously oversalted. their mac & cheese was watery. they used way too much Daiya on the quesadilla i ordered. and their "chicken" drumsticks had a distinct chemical taste.

their other stuff isn't bad, but like you said, it's not the quality you would want given their prices. are there any current dishes that are really worth getting?

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
Aubade wrote:
What is singing cowboy?

if i remember correctly, it was a fried seitan cutlet served with mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, and gravy. drooool.

[quote="Aubade"]

That is correct. We'd always have a table full of people and almost everyone would get that dish. I really miss the salad bar and the ranch dressing. They used to have really good philly cheesesteaks and would make us cheese fries on request when there was nowhere else to get vegan cheese fries. The service was always slow but the owners were so kind that it never mattered to me.

They are so overpriced right now, I never drive down anymore. I, actually, go to the beach in Belmar most weekends in the summer but skip it most of the time and just get some salad bar from Dean's.

When I do eat there, I still enjoy the nachos.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:21 am 
Semen Strong

Their pizza is good and cheesy and they have great onion rings. My partner and I get those to go as we generally have our dog with us. Then we eat in the park and it is good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:31 pm 
protein lump

Tofulish wrote:
Any day you want esme!!!!!! Are you going to the potluck on 4/23 next week?

i somehow missed this! but, yes, i will be there tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Hurrah! So looking forward to seeing you!

I can't believe you'll be leaving NJ in a few weeks! We are going to miss you so much (sadface)!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:53 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Hey! I'm going to be in NJ from about May 7 through May 16, or thereabouts. Anybody want to meet up some time? (I'll be in Bergen County, so Rutherford Pancake House would be great, or anywhere in Montclair, or someplace else in that general area.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:57 pm 
Semen Strong

That sounds great to me! I think Torque is around then as well, so perhaps we can do a fun big waffle meetup?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Larisa wrote:
Hey! I'm going to be in NJ from about May 7 through May 16, or thereabouts. Anybody want to meet up some time? (I'll be in Bergen County, so Rutherford Pancake House would be great, or anywhere in Montclair, or someplace else in that general area.)

i'd be down for that!

there's a Veggie Heaven in Montclair and Teaneck, if you like Chinese. i <3 their fake seafood.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:15 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I've been to the Veggie Heaven in Teaneck. I think the fake shrimp was the only thing I didn't like. I loved the Peking duck. I also loved the fortune cookie who told me, "Hungry is the man who seeks advice from a cookie."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next