| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: xGFx Cookbooks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:15 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Ones that are entirely GF or enough so that flipping through the pages isn't disheartening.

Whatcha got? I'll list mine soon.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: xGFx Cookbooks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have the Gluten Free Vegan - I haven't use it that much, I've made the veg soup, hummus and the pie crust. I should use it a bit more.

I also have the first Babycakes cookbook - it's mostly gluten free and most of the gf recipes rely on Bob's Red Mill flour mix

And I think Viva Vegan is very gluten free friendly as a lot of the recipes are gluten free or easy to make gf!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:56 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I have the gluten free vegan cookbook and haven't made any recipes from it yet.

I make a lot of recipes out of vegan scoop (the ice cream book) since all of the ice cream recipes are gf!

I agree with Kitteh about Viva vegan being gf friendly. I think vegan yum yum is pretty gf friendly too!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:53 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Kittee recommended this to me, I haven't made anything out of it yet since it calls for a specific xgfx flour mix that I don't have at the mo' but it looks gorgeousssss: http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9781587613487-0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:30 pm 
Chard Martyr

Jae Steele does a lot of gluten-free stuff. Actually, I think her newer book (Ripe From Around Here) is completely xGFx?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

maygles wrote:
Kittee recommended this to me, I haven't made anything out of it yet since it calls for a specific xgfx flour mix that I don't have at the mo' but it looks gorgeousssss: http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9781587613487-0

That does look good and I remember Kittee and another ppker talking about the recipes they tried. I'm sure there was another book, similar to it and Babycakes but I read mixed reviews.

Vijita, I agree, Get It Ripe is gf-friendly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:57 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I didn't find Viva Vegan to be particularly GF friendly. I mean yes, there's plenty to make, but most of the heartier dishes (which is what I tend to use cookbooks for) seem to rely on seitan.

I am quite enamored of Vegan Express, which isn't GF but most of the recipes that call for gluten involve pasta, which is easily subbed.

I definitely need a good baking book that is both vegan and gluten-free. I don't like Babycakes or Flying Apron much - Babycakes because the recipes seem not that well-written and don't turn out that tasty, and Flying Apron because the recipes often have to be very modified (too much liquid, etc.) and the recipes aren't that inspiring (although the GF hot pocket recipe did enable the resolution of a lifelong dream http://inmybox.wordpress.com/2010/08/06 ... come-true/). I sound like such a grump! It's just been disappointing - I had high hopes for those two, and would love to have a go-to baking book (as soon as I can afford to buy another cookbook!).

The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook (linked to above with the Powell's link) is the bomb! I got it from the library and the things I made from it before I had to return it were all great. Here's my review of her brownies (no recipe, sorry): http://inmybox.wordpress.com/2010/06/18 ... s-at-last/. She does want us to use only superfine brown rice flour, as Maygles mentioned above, but I made her flour mix with regular brown rice flour and still thought things were very yummy. Superfine brown rice flour is only available here through mail-order, and the shipping expenses are unbelievable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think AFR is a great gluten free-friendly cookbook. I've found that most of the recipes are gluten free, or can be easily made that way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:14 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

sunnybear wrote:
I think AFR is a great gluten free-friendly cookbook. I've found that most of the recipes are gluten free, or can be easily made that way.

Yep, I'd second that but I know appifanie is already head over heels with that book! The Complete Guide to Vegan Substitutions has a guide on subbing gluten (and quite a few recipes) but I haven't tried them out yet. I recently made a raw dessert with a gluten free friend in mind, so Ani's Dessert book, or any easy raw books, are good ones too. I have World Vegetarian out of the library at the moment and it seems barely any of the recipes include gluten (except for the flatbreads and even then there are chickpea options), the only thing that puts me off is that they don't seem like 'one bowl' meals, it seems like you'd have to put a few dishes together to make a full meal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:13 am 
Naked Under Apron

Flying Apron’s Gluten Free and Vegan Baking Book is a great one. it's confusing because they use honey in a few recipes and still call the book vegan, but agave can easily be subbed in.

Allergy-Free Desserts: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Soy-free and Nut-free Delights - some recipes contain honey and gelatin (the ones with traditional marshmallows), but other than that it's g-t-g (good-to-go).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 am 
Naked Under Apron

i'm compiling lists right now, i would love to find out if that jae steele book is xgfx. here's one i recently discovered from my own book shelf--two dessert recipes contain flour, but otherwise it's completely xgfx.

http://www.amazon.com/Vietnamese-Fusion ... 1570672075

another baking book i quite like besides the one above is enjoy life's cookies for everyone. the stuffed carrot cookies are really great--especially if you use a cream cheeze filling and drop the sugar in the dough a little.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:50 pm 
Chard Martyr

kittee wrote:
i'm compiling lists right now, i would love to find out if that jae steele book is xgfx. here's one i recently discovered from my own book shelf--two dessert recipes contain flour, but otherwise it's completely xgfx.

So cool! I love that book! That author also fairly recently released an Asian Fusion book. I wonder how xgfx it is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

"Color Me Vegan" isn't completely GF, but it has a lot of GF recipes, and they're labeled as such.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:55 am 
ol' garly cooch

i'm finding that sorting GF stuff out is like veganizing an omni recipe--it's a great challenge and the pay off has (so far) been delicious. i like viva vegan quite a bit--seitan can always be subbed with beans or lentils, dontcha think?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:26 pm 
Naked Under Apron

jewbacca wrote:
i'm finding that sorting GF stuff out is like veganizing an omni recipe--it's a great challenge and the pay off has (so far) been delicious. i like viva vegan quite a bit--seitan can always be subbed with beans or lentils, dontcha think?

or soy curls, which is my go to--works great in terry's seitan tamales...
xo
kittee

pakupaku
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Clean Food and Clean Start appear to be gluten-free (and beautiful). I really need to make something out of these soon!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 pm 
Naked Under Apron

vijita wrote:
Jae Steele does a lot of gluten-free stuff. Actually, I think her newer book (Ripe From Around Here) is completely xGFx?

I am here to report that Ripe from Around here is not gluten-free. There are lots of gluten-free recipes, but lots and lots of spelt recipes, too.

xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

How gf friendly is Vegan Brunch? I am looking to vary my breakfasts, as most consist of toast (or oatmeal) + nut butter + fruit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:52 pm 
Chard Martyr

Kitties flock to me wrote:
Clean Food and Clean Start appear to be gluten-free (and beautiful). I really need to make something out of these soon!

Clean Food isn't 100% gluten free, but it's close. It helps that most of the recipes are for veggies.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

appifanie wrote:
Ones that are entirely GF or enough so that flipping through the pages isn't disheartening.

appifanie wrote:

We live to bake in our house (everyone loves to cook - my son and husband put me to shame), and so were discouraged last fall when we began trying out the various vegan/gluten free baking books. Over the years, Isa and Terry and other wonderful vegan chef/authors made vegan baking and cooking a wonderful experience. When we began trying out gluten-free baking recipes last fall, I remember being especially disappointed making maple berry muffins and berry corn muffins from the Flying Apron book. The aftertaste was HORRIBLE. :( What specific recipes has anyone else tried that are good?

We bake for non vegan (don't even add the gluten-free issue) for family alot, so the bar is high! It has to be vegan, gluten-free and AWESOME!

I LOVE the GLUTEN-FREE ALMOND FLOUR COOKBOOK chocolate chip and snickerdoodle recipes. http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9781587613456-0

The ingredients are so simple, only one flour, and they are KID TESTED, and CRANKY PEOPLE TESTED! She does use eggs in some recipes but that is easily subbed. The almond flour she uses is very fine but expensive.

I look forward to using Isa and Terry's books with a new GF lens. I love how recipes are so clearly designated.

lindalane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

katiepillars wrote:
How gf friendly is Vegan Brunch? I am looking to vary my breakfasts, as most consist of toast (or oatmeal) + nut butter + fruit.

There are a lot of bread/muffins/pancakes/waffles, so you'd have to do some subbing for a huge portion of the book.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:06 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

There must be others, I really want to make use of powells while I am in Portland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:39 am 
Naked Under Apron

there's this!
http://xgfx.org/links-and-resources/books/

pakupaku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:20 am 
Chard Martyr

moodfornoodles wrote:
There must be others, I really want to make use of powells while I am in Portland

Pick up this one!

kittee wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:35 pm 
Naked Under Apron

my tops picks are:
allergen free baker's handbook
cookies for everyone
vietnamese fusion

did you ask at herbivore? michelle and joshy have a bunch! but nothing that isn't on the xgfx list. the new babycakes book seems sorta eh. the recipes call for wicked crazy amounts of vanilla extact (1/4 cup, 1/2 cup in some recipes, 1/3 cup). i made the chocolate donuts and the vanilla ones and they were sorta eh.

pakupaku