| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:26 am 
Semen Strong

Thank you! That makes sense if it is the body of the seat absorbing shock not just straps. I just didn't have an answer for Brett and this helps.

So would you rent car seats from Hetz or Avis or would you rather take your own?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:40 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i probably would rent a seat from a place like that, after asking them about their seat replacement policy. they're going to know about every crash their cars sustain, so as long as they have a policy to replace seats after a crash (which i imagine they would), i think it would be fine.

as for cribs, whatever. i would totally buy a secondhand crib. i think the danger of dropside cribs is overstated. i wouldn't necessarily go buy one, just because i think there are plenty of other options. other than bedbugs, what could be the issue with buying a piece of furniture in good shape?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I rented a car seat from Hertz when we flew to Canada in December and it was super bargain basement. Their website said it would be either 2 cosco models or a graco snugride, which is the type we have at home, so I thought it would be ok. But whatever it was we got was some super cheap no frills version, because this thing had like no padding, no canopy, nothing. It worked ok I guess, and was definitely easier than trying to lug ours from home on the airplane, plus we drove very little once we got to the hotel. I'm not sure it would be good for a long trips or if you'd be renting a lot if that's what they usually give out though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:49 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Also i think with used cribs, besides the drop-side thing, is to make sure the rails aren't too far apart. I took a hospital infant safety course, and they said you should not be able to fit a soda can in between the rails.

Here's some other crib safety tips:
-A firm, tight-fitting mattress so a baby cannot get trapped between the mattress and the crib. (should not be able to fit two fingers between matress and crib)

-No missing, loose, broken or improperly installed screws, brackets or other hardware on the crib or mattress support.

-No more than 2 3/8 inches (about the width of a soda can) between crib slats so a baby's body cannot fit through the slats; no missing or cracked slats.

-No corner posts over 1/16th inch high so a baby's clothing cannot catch.

-No cutouts in the headboard or foot board so a baby's head cannot get trapped.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5030.html

I think as long as the used crib fit these guidelines it would be ok.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:55 am 
Inflexitarian

What do you guys think about using a car seat that has been handled as luggage to the UK, back to the US, to the UK, and back to the US again? They're not exactly handling things with a lot of care, and I'm sure it's been tossed around a bit. It was Zola's carseat, and now it's Felix's. I have been a little nervous about it, but I'm not sure if that's me being paranoid or if it's best to get a new one.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:37 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

keen_on_quinoa wrote:
What do you guys think about using a car seat that has been handled as luggage to the UK, back to the US, to the UK, and back to the US again? They're not exactly handling things with a lot of care, and I'm sure it's been tossed around a bit. It was Zola's carseat, and now it's Felix's. I have been a little nervous about it, but I'm not sure if that's me being paranoid or if it's best to get a new one.

I never thought about that! Ours has been checked on a few shorter plane trips. I would imagine that even being mishandled, it wouldn't be the same as a car crash.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:50 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I do not know if this goes here either but I did not want to start a new thread.

We have some cloth diapers but we are going to use disposable for the first few weeks and then transition as the baby fits into the cloth (as well as have a diaper service). I am wondering what brands, besides Seventh Generation, are organic/natural. I see that Huggies and the like have pure and natural lines, but is it false advertising?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:19 am 

More from me. Slings. I know all kids like different things, but Babybjorn seem good (we are small stature people) but soft wraps for the first few months, are they better? What should I start off with, what did your kids like?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Earth's Best diapers are also chlorine-free.

ItsBoiling wrote:
More from me. Slings. I know all kids like different things, but Babybjorn seem good (we are small stature people) but soft wraps for the first few months, are they better? What should I start off with, what did your kids like?

For the first two months, when Walter was less than 15 pounds, we used a Moby wrap (you can supposedly use it to 35 pounds but I wouldn't be comfortable). Some people prefer the fabric of the Sleepy Wrap, though I have not tried it. My husband thought he would like the baby bjorn, but it really did not work for us. I think it would only be comfortable for long, thin babies. Because of how it fastens/the armholes, we could barely close it over Walter's tummy and it forced his arms back at a strange angle and he hated it. We used it for a total of 20 minutes.

I would recommend a carrier that is less structured, so the arms and legs can be wherever they naturally go. We have a Boba. I haven't tried an Ergo, but it's similar. If I were you, I'd just get a wrap and/or a sling, see what shape your baby is, and wait a month or two to buy another carrier.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Slings are such a toughie to pick because it really depends so much on what your baby prefers.

I tried a sling-ezee, recommended by a lac consultant I had to meet with. It seemed like a great carrier, but I just couldn't get Kai to like it. Not sure if it was something I did wrong, or he just didn't like it but, it ended up unused. :-(

What did work for us was a babyhawk mei-tai. It didn't work for nursing unfortunately (that's why I tried the sling-ezee), but it was great for just general carrying and getting him to sleep.

Now that he's older I just got a Kelty TC last week, on super sale at ebags.com. I was going to get an ergo, but I'm so glad I got the kelty instead! It is super easy to put on, really comfortable and holds him up higher so he can see all around. My guy really loves people and looking around at things, so I don't think he would have been as happy in an ergo with his head in the middle of my back.

I probably could have gotten away with just continuing to use the babyhawk on my back instead of my front, but I'm all about ease and the kelty is just so much less complicated to put on, with better support.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

disposables i don't know much about, except that seventh gen was (supposedly) recently busted for dying their diapers brown to seem more 'natural'. i would just go for the cheapest non-scented, non-chlorinated type you can find. in canada, my grocery store has a great store brand that i love.

as for carriers, well, i personally think babybjorn is shiitake. it is uncomfortable for you, uncomfortable for the baby, and really horrifically overpriced. the base of the seat is way too narrow and essentially dangles the baby from their crotch. the straps and body of the carrier carry the baby quite far away from your body, so many people find the weight of the baby gets uncomfortable quite early.

stretchy wraps are nice, if you live in a cool climate and don't mind a bit of a learning curve. they become pretty useless by the time the baby is 15lbs or so, but they are SUPER easy to DIY with a nice supportive jersey. a good ring sling is great for the newborn period and very useful in later stages too. again, a bit of a learning curve at first, but a really wonderful carrier option.

by the time the baby is too heavy to be comfortable on one shoulder for long periods of time, they will fit nicely into a range of mei tais or soft-structured carriers like the ergo, boba, babyhawk, etc. whether you prefer a mei tai or ssc is really a matter of personal preference. the ssc's have a backpack type structure, support very heavy babies and toddlers, very easy to put on. mts are softer, much more adjustable, fold up a bit smaller, but generally might not be as supportive or as simple to use. they generally come in more pretty colours and patterns, whereas ssc's are generally plain colours.

if you really are up for a challenge, you might want to look into woven wraps. infinitely adjustable, very supportive, a bazillion colour options, but a steep learning curve and often too much for the non-baby-wearing-obsessed. (of course, you will already have gotten the basics down if you choose to use a stretchy wrap, so it's not quite as daunting as all that.)

i am a bit baby-wearing-obsessed, so feel free to ask me more questions. nothing compares to trying on these carriers first hand though, so i would definitely try and visit a shop that has a variety, so you can see what feels good. i would have bought an ergo based on what all my friends had, except i was able to try it on first and discovered the shape of it didn't suit me at all. get yourself a DIY stretchy wrap or ring sling to start with, and then see what you feel like you need from there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Another question on disposables: for the people who used cloth diapers, did you use disposables while traveling or for long periods away from home? If not, did you find cloth/reusable diapers to be difficult to deal with, ie carrying around a dirty and maybe smelly diaper all day?

I am still trying to figure out if I want to use gdiapers/flip, go fully for cloth or what I should do, I would love to hear what you all did!

And ItsBoiling - ask away! There is no topic in this thread!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:18 am 
Semen Strong

Sling-related (and broader) - since slings etc seem to be so much an individual baby preference, did you wait until your baby was here to buy one or did you have one ready? Where did you buy your carriers (I am assuming you were able to return anything the baby disapproved of) and was there a reason you went with the store (also looking at whether you shopped online versus bricks and mortar))?

What would/did you have ready to go when you came home from the hospital? I know people have said car carriers to bring the baby home in, new-born diapers, some clothes, but are there any other nice to/must-haves that it makes sense to get before your baby's arrival?

Thank you!!!!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have been told nipple cream and butt lube for the baby. Apparently the meconium is really tar like and can stick to the baby, so if s/he is lubed up it makes it easier to wipe off.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:30 am 
Semen Strong

I wouldn't have ever known that! Thanks LB. Is buttlube just baby oil and cream or is there actually a product out there (that isn't sold in a sex shop)? I assume you get water-based where possible?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The woman who told me this said she used something called, "un-petroleum jelly". she also mentioned getting mittens cause it is impossible to cut newborns nails but they are razor sharp.

actually, i am just going to paste the whole advice part of the email because I found a lot of it to be really helpful!

so, first some information on labor that I tell everyone that is pregnant.....
1. your body will go into labor when it is ready - if you are 'late' or 'overdue' (dumb asparagus words, a due date is an estimate, it's not like an egg timer), you do not need to be induced! Unless there is a medical need for induction (being 'late' is NOT a medical need) - I would avoid it. It often makes labor much more painful, and commonly ends in c-section due to 'stalled labor' - aka, your body wasn't ready to be in labor, and you don't progress......
2. Not sure how you feel about drugs in labor - that's clearly a personal choice. but either way, staying up and about during labor as much as possible makes it go faster - and with our without pain of any level.... faster is better than slower. ;) so, use gravity to your advantage as much as possible. i walked the halls very slowly, hanging on jon with each contractions, for 2h of labor, and I progressed from <4cm to almost 8 in that time.
3. water really helped me with the pain. if you stay home during early labor - or your hospital room has a shower - get in it! if it doesn't work for you, get out of it! ha.

now for some even more awesome stuff...... my friends eric and beth asked a while back for me to list some things that are much needed during labor or in the first few weeks after that they might not be thinking of and here's what I said:
"1. 'cooling spray' for the taint zone - that shiitake does some serious stretching and will be SWOLLEN and sore. (sorry, tmi) there is a 'hippie' brand called 'Earth Mama Angel Baby' that has a nice one. they sell it at babies r us, etc.
2. the same brand has a nipple balm - much needed if breast feeding. the first week or so is rough - may even have blisters on the nips (again, tmi....)
3. big cheap granny pantaloons - see #1 - plus there is lots of blood - so a giant pad will be involved.... (childbirth is nasty stuff - get used to it!)
4. also if breastfeeding - a few comfy nursing tanktops, and some cotton washable nursing pads (when the boobs get going, they can leak like crazy)
5. some kind of diaper balm (we used 'unpetroleum jelly' because we are hippies) to keep the butthole zone of the newborn lubed up. when the meconium comes - it is like TAR - hard to wipe off of balls, so I imagine the lady bits will be tough too. if you keep things lubed up at least until the meconium is gone, you won't irritate the sensitive parts as much (and wiping won't be as frustrating)
6. some mittens - i thought they were stupid initially, but newborn nails are so soft they are hard to trim, and yet like razors. one of life's great mysteries. plus, they have no idea where their hands are and they flail them all over the place - slicing their face will happen. we gave up on them after I figured out how to keep the nails trimmed and otto started to notice he had hands. :)
7. lots of blankets/swaddling blankets. swaddling otto really helped - he loved it.
8. it is amazing how many wipes you will go through (we are using cloth diapers - so not sure how many of those to get) - and you won't outgrow wipes - so just buy a SHITLOAD of them - if you run out you will be pissed - and something tells me it won't be beth making an emergency wipe run to the store. :)"

ok - wasn't that fun? - back to other stuff.....

some stuff about breastfeeding:
1. not all babies are pros at first, if yours isn't, don't give up!
2. the formula industry is worse than crack dealers. some babies truly need formula - and that is fine - but just nurse your baby whenever it wants (which at first, is ALL THE TIME) - your milk will drop in a day or two and all will be well, don't let them push formula on you if you are dedicated to breastfeeding
3. the first few weeks can be painful. I endup up with blood blisters on both my nipples. but, it gets BETTER. just suffer through the first few weeks, if they are tough, and know that it will all normalize and be worth the effort.
4. what did you end up doing for a pump?
5. there are all kinds of neat things you can do with breastmilk - if your baby has pinkeye, or a clogged tear duct - squeeze some boob juice in there! it has natural anti-infective properties. it's just great stuff all around. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:44 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't recommend mittens. We couldn't get them to stay on for anything. Instead, I liked the newborn clothing with the little fabric flaps on the end of the sleeves that you can just flip over the hands. Later when you can trim the nails, you don't have to flip them and they can still wear the clothes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:58 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tofulish wrote:
Sling-related (and broader) - since slings etc seem to be so much an individual baby preference, did you wait until your baby was here to buy one or did you have one ready? Where did you buy your carriers (I am assuming you were able to return anything the baby disapproved of) and was there a reason you went with the store (also looking at whether you shopped online versus bricks and mortar))?

What would/did you have ready to go when you came home from the hospital? I know people have said car carriers to bring the baby home in, new-born diapers, some clothes, but are there any other nice to/must-haves that it makes sense to get before your baby's arrival?

Thank you!!!!

I shopped online for my carriers, mostly because I hate shopping, plus I didn't really know of a store with a good selection of carriers nearby. I got the mei tai before he was born, in case I needed it right away. That probably wasn't necessary, because he was soooo small at first.

The sling-ezee I also got online and wasn't able to return it, because I tried to get him to like it several times before finally giving up. I didn't want to put him in it without washing it first, so that was that. I am sooo frustrated about wasting that money! I was going to try to re-sell it, but now since I may have another baby I'm keeping it, in case baby #2 likes it better.

I did also try a baby ktan that i bought from amazon. That I could tell we didn't like right away, so I just packed it right back up in the box and was able to return it.

As far as stuff you really need to get before the baby is born, I can't think of much other than what you said. I also bought a bassinet/playard thing, which he did sleep in for a few hours in the beginning but not much. Depending on what you want for your sleep situation, you may be better off waiting until afterwards like some people recommend. (If I had it to do over, I'd probably try a moses basket thingy, since that seems like it would make a tiny newborn feel more cozy than the bigger bassinet I have)

I am super duper glad someone got me a 'breast friend' for my shower. I would have never made it without that thing, so I highly recommend it.

Washcloths are the only other thing I can think of. I definitely underestimated how many washcloths and burpcloths I'd use. Luckily I got quite a few receiving blankets (which make great burpcloths) and washcloths for my shower, but even still, I had to buy more because I'd use several a day for burping, wiping drool, washing his face/hands and bathtime.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:10 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

As far as the meconium goes, we were told in our infant care class and also by one of the pediatricians that we talked to that you can just use some olive oil. Speaking of which, I should probably put some in our bag for the hospital while I am thinking of it...
For baby carriers, we went to a free workshop at a store. It was pretty helpful because you got to test them all out and they showed you how to wrap/tie all of them. We ended up buying a babyhawk. Who knows if the baby will like it though!
For breastfeeding I bought a couple of nursing tank tops and sleep bras from Target. I figure I will get fitted bras in a few weeks after I know what size I'll be. I also got some Earth Mama nipple cream because pretty much everyone said that you're going to need it if it's your first time breastfeeding. I did not however get a breast pump yet. One of my midwives said I won't need it the first few weeks but then other people are telling me I might so I'm not sure what to do about it yet. There's a store in my neighborhood that sells them so I can get someone to run out and buy one if it becomes necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:35 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This might sound obvious, but have some books on babies and breastfeeding. I thought books weren't necessary because of the internet, but it's much easier to grab a book in the middle of the night and look something up than googling something and then having to figure out if the website is a reliable resource. I used my Nursing Mother's Companion a LOT. Breastfeeding is hard, and having an authoritative book to constantly refer to was incredibly important for worrywart me.

I'm sure everyone is different, but those "cooling sprays" for delicate areas freaked me out-- they smelled so strong! I preferred to use plain witch hazel, which is the main ingredient in that Earth Mama Angel Baby new momma spray.

I think I'm in the minority, but I didn't like nipple cream on my nipples or areolae. I never thought the cream helped much. I used the soothies gel pads that the hospital gave me, and they were GREAT.

I'm sort of torn on the Baby Bjorn. Lydia didn't like it when she was really little-- she preferred the Moby. But, around 3 months, she started to really like it. I like that it is SO quick to put on, so I can throw it on for a fast grocery shop or whatever. My daughter is a long and skinny baby, so it might work better for her body type, and since she's not very heavy, I don't mind that it's not the most comfortable. I still use it all the time for 6 month old Lydia.

I use prefolds, and I use them when we're out and about, even for trips where we're gone all day. I use large ziploc bags to store the dirty diapers in. For overnight trips though, I use disposables.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 pm 

So much amazing information, thank you!

I was leaning towards the Babybjorn, but I think I will try be to see if I can try some on first. This is so so much great information!

T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:04 pm 
Semen Strong

I love that there was a free workshop on carriers that sashi mentioned. That sounds like a great option for getting more information - my partner is 6'4 and I am 4'11 so it would be great to get something we could both use.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:12 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

re: slings,etc - sounds like we're in the minority, but my family loved the Bjorn. I used a Hotsling early on, but it always seemed kinda suffocating although baby Dahlia didn't seem to care, but this was like before she was 2 months old. I had a Moby but never got real comfortable with it while she was small enough. Luckily, we were given a handmedown Bjorn at like 4 months old, and we used the hell outta of it, with her facing out. I know that a lot of carrier makers say facing out is bad but thats what our kid preferred. Not to mention that it was simple enough for my kinda skeptical partner to use it all the time. I found it gave me fine back support too, but Dahlia is only barely 27 lbs now at nearly 2 yrs old. When she hit nearly 25lbs I bought a Beco Gemini, which ROCKS...chose it for the fact that you can do a front-facing carry but since Dahlia is pretty long (and I'm short), I've only done that once but use it in the back carry all the time. She loves it and gets real excited when she sees it.

the cloth diaper thing - we used 7th Generation for the first 5 days for meconium and since then, we have not ever purchased disposables. We've taken a couple fairly epic car trips (NY to FL, via NC and TN, and then back) and there was no problem as long as we knew that around day 3 we'd be somewhere to wash. (Of course, we had a rather large stash of diapers - 36 I think, but they were mostly cheapie pocket diapers.) Our storage for the dirty diapers in our SUV was a wet bag for being generally out-n-about, which we would then dump into an empty 20lb cat litter container and seal up. On the 3rd day it was a bit of a smelly job transferring from the sealed container to the washing machine, but hardly a big deal.

and Tofulish, I would say you don't need much for when you bring the baby home. In my situation, however, an absolute must was a good hospital-grade pump. Dahlia had nursing issues which she was never able to overcome (due to the hospital in which I spent 3 days after unplanned C-section giving her TONS of formula despite my pleas not to, which lead to miserable nipple confusion + her only latching on with a nipple shield in place), and without that pump she would have barely gotten any breastmilk especially in the first week. I guess my point is, if you end up with a crasshole hospital staff, get that pump haha...when I realized I was being completely disregarded by the staff, I called a lactation consultant I'd taken a class with before, and started pumping my 2nd day in the hospital for colostrum, and on the 3rd day when I got to go home, I swear I'd been home and in my own bed for 5 min before my milk fully came in. And that consultant came to my house that evening, so having her # while at the hospital and then at home for support really made a bewildering, frustrating time a bit better

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:15 pm 
Nooch of Earl

According to a friend of mine, you can also find babywearing groups in your area sometimes that will have a variety of carriers you can rent to try out for something like a $10 joining fee. Compared to the cost of carriers that's nothing! I've heard that a lot of the higher end, hippie/yuppie-oriented baby stores have demo days as well where you can try different things on.

I bought an ergo already, and my friend whose baby is a couple months now is lending us her moby. Might get a ring sling at some point, we tried one on at a demo but I'm not sure how I feel about them. The wraps seem more hands-off.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:43 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We had a baby Bjorn that solipsistnation's parents found at Goodwill (they are awesome people! I love them so much, the Emperor would basically be naked without them and their thrifting habit) and solipsistnation liked it when the Emperor was little. I found it super uncomfortable because, like Walter, the Emperor was a suuuper chunky baby and I felt like he was just totally squished into it.

We didn't get a LOT of use out of it, but I think it was good for easing my husband into babywearing which he wasn't totally into initially. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of it-- I think bjorns are better than they used to be.

Re: babywearing in general: I loved the Moby when the Emperor was brand new, a woven wrap (just made of a long piece of non-stretchy fabric that a friend serged the edge of for me) from about 2 months to 9 months, and an Ergo from there on. I bought the Moby on sale new for $25 a few months before the Emperor was born, got the woven wrap for free (see friend above), and bought the Ergo brand new for about $100.

I babywear SO much that $125 total seems WAY worth the cost. However, if you're on the fence about it and aren't sure you're really do that much of it, I so urge you to check out your local Craigslist and/or freecycle for used babywearing devices. I see used Ergos and bjorns go by all the time for VERY reasonable prices and both are built pretty tough.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 82  Next