| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anyone want to help with a uni interview?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hey,
a student from the university of victoria has sent us a bunch of interview questions, anyone want to help answer them? send me a PM if you want to help, they are pretty basic questions about veganism. or should i post them here, and we can answer them as a group? they need to be done by tomorrow.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

Post subject: Re: anyone want to help with a uni interview?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Post them, we can all help.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

QueenV wrote:
Post them, we can all help.

#1 There are many definitions of veganism out there. What is your definition of veganism? Moreover, what is the difference between being a vegetarian and being a vegan?

pakupaku
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:00 pm 
ol' garly cooch

my personal definition of veganism is the following:

a way of eating, thinking, consuming, and generally behaving that is considerate of all living things. as a vegan i do not eat foods that have the flesh or by-products of animals, sea bearing creatures, and (to my knowledge) insects.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:16 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Wow. Hard question. I will need to think about that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:19 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

kittee wrote:
#1 There are many definitions of veganism out there. What is your definition of veganism? Moreover, what is the difference between being a vegetarian and being a vegan?

In the strictest sense, a vegan is a person who eschews, as completely as is possible, animal products from all facets of his life (his being used in the gender neutral way here). A vegetarian is simply a person who does not eat meat. As someone who transitioned from vegetarianism to veganism over a fairly long time period, I think that veganism is an attitude shift from vegetarianism, most notably with the goal to do no harm (or to do as little harm as is possible). Vegetarianism is born from not wanting to kill animals, while veganism considers animal's quality of life and the interplay between industries which may not directly kill animals (i.e. dairy) and those that do (the veal industry).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:03 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Well heck, I'm a vegan from the University of Victoria. I wonder if I know them...

What are the other questions?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

1. There are many definitions of veganism out there. What is your definition of veganism? Moreover, what is the difference between being a vegetarian and being a vegan?

2. What are the benefits to being a vegan? Is it a lifestyle choice, or is it restricted solely to what one eats?

3. What are some common misconceptions about vegans or veganism?

4. University students don't usually have the time or financial means to cook proper, nutritious meals everyday. What would you recommend to students in this situation?

5. The University of Victoria is currently ranked in second place by PETA2's Most Vegetarian-Friendly University Campus Ranking in Canada. How can students promote more awareness about vegetarianism and, more specifically, veganism?

6. This is the fourth year for the Vegan Month of Food. What are some of the biggest changes you've noticed since the event began?

7. Lastly, what are the main goals of Vegan Month of Food?

pakupaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Kittee, I will think on these and try and get some answers over the weekend. When do you have to send them back>???

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

QueenV wrote:
Kittee, I will think on these and try and get some answers over the weekend. When do you have to send them back>???

by monday i spose. thanks for the help.

pakupaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

uni journalist wrote:
1. There are many definitions of veganism out there. What is your definition of veganism? Moreover, what is the difference between being a vegetarian and being a vegan?

Well first off, Vegan MoFo is made up hundreds of people with differing points of view on life, blogging and veganism, so obviously these questions are going to be answered subjectively, which will not reflect the views of everyone participating.

I believe there is only one definition of veganism, which Wikipedia does a good job of wording, "Veganism is a philosophy and lifestyle whose adherents seek to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Vegans endeavor not to use or consume animal products of any kind." Vegetarians, on the other hand, include animal products in their diet and wardrobe.

Next.

pakupaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

she just emailed to say she needs them asap. so if anyone is working on these, can you please let me know?
xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

so maybe i should change the title to, will a MoFo'r please do this???? Please?

xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

done.

pakupaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:54 pm 
ol' garly cooch

In spite of all of the information that exists that describes the brutality of the egg and dairy industry, the vegetarian has an inexplicable love affair with both of the aforementioned products. I can't tell you how many times I hear, "I'd go vegan but I love cheese and eggs too much!"

2. What are the benefits to being a vegan? Is it a lifestyle choice, or is it restricted solely to what one eats?
To quote Isa, "One less set of footprints."

That the food is awful and vegans are "too extreme." WHAT does that even mean? I've eaten more shitty food as an omni than a vegan, and what is wrong about caring about where your food comes from? For me it's all about being connected and understanding how stuff winds up on my plate so I can make an informed decision.

4. University students don't usually have the time or financial means to cook proper, nutritious meals everyday. What would you recommend to students in this situation?

Wash, chop, and bag! Buy fresh produce-wash, chop, and bag it for portability. Beats those GMO fries. Ask that the residence hall carry particular foods.

5. The University of Victoria is currently ranked in second place by PETA2's Most Vegetarian-Friendly University Campus Ranking in Canada. How can students promote more awareness about vegetarianism and, more specifically, veganism?

See answer to #4 and have a bake sale!

6. This is the fourth year for the Vegan Month of Food. What are some of the biggest changes you've noticed since the event began?

More people participating and getting super creative.

To give the omni world exposure to vegan cuisine. We don't sit around in a circle eating raw carrots and big blocks of tofu covered in dirt. Vegan food is plentiful-(if you know where to look for it), tasty, and taking over the world!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Veganism may have started out as a simple dietary change and movement away from something I was no longer comfortable supporting. But since then it's become a lot more, Veganism is now one of my defining characteristics, my lifestyle, a movement, and most of all it's a community. I've met a lot of people whom I consider family, and in reality our only ties are veganism, cooking and a little spot of internet. Veganism for me is compasion and making simple life choices to make your world a better place.

The difference between vegetarian and vegan can be a lot of things, for various people but strictly speaking it's an abstinence from all harm (dairy eggs honey etc).

Lifestyle choice all the way. The immediate benefits for me personally was a vast improvement of health. It cleared up my skin, brought me down to a healthy weight, helped me overcome issues I had with food and provided me the ground work for overcoming my eating issues. Since going vegan, everythings gotten a little brighter. I went from being a sickly kid, missing weeks of school/work due to common illness to rarely ever getting sick. Taking charge in the kitchen and having something to be passionate about and work towards. It helped me focus and brought back my love of food, cooking and baking.
Mainly that vegan food is simple, boring or bland. That vegans don't eat and are unhealthy. Nothing could be further from the truth. Also that there are no vegan guys, they exist (they just have to spend some time in hiding to avoid being mauled by ladies/boys)
Cooking tasty and healthy doesn't have to break the bank! Some of the cheapest and healthiest things are vegan. The Cheap Vegan is a zine that changed my life, it's amazing rational guide for eating well and living thrifty. The best thing I did in university was a) move out of the dorms and get a real kitchen b) buy a crock pot/slow cooker or pressure cooker and get to it! There are all kinds of cheap living and cooking advice out there. The best thing is to know what you like and shop accordingly. Buy bulk grains, legumes and beans. Shop on discount days and get an easy simplistic cookbook full of recipes you like. If you enjoy your food, you'll enjoy eating and making it too. Plus crock pots are great for cooking beans during school etc and coming home to chili, soup or other amazing dishes.

Don't give up! Plan ahead! and find some recipes/favourites to love!

One thing that worked well for us was hosting monthly vegan potlucks on campus, try talking to your women/gender centre to see about a partnership and being able to use their space. Advertise in local free papers or through posters. We also did monthly cooking classes which introduced students to cheap, easy meals they could make that tasted great and were vegan! cupcakes 101, fancy eatings on cheap livings and basic intro to cooking courss had great success.

We also did some postering, leafleting on campus and hosted film screenings. They are pretty easy and quick to get going.

Publicity! Each year Mofo is getting bigger and badder! This year the blog list alone is outstanding and press is really starting to notice our little endeavour. I've witnessed a lot of blogs and bloggers growing in both their design, writting, photo and recipe skills. Each year people are getting better, learning to cook better and improving in some way. It's amazing to watch people learn as we go along. Some of the ideas and creativity is just unbelievable.
To raise awareness about veganism and the love of food. Showing people through good food and food geekery what veganism looks, taste and smells like. Feeding people and food are one of the greatest forms of activism we have. Once people see how awesome veganism and vegan food can be, it makes the politics and their implications just a little bit less scary. And shines some warm fuzzies on veganism.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:50 pm 

Here's the piece, from my school's newspaper:

Quote:
Elana Dublanko

Everyone knows one. The friend who touts knowledge about the nutritional content of brewer’s yeast; the co-worker who makes dairy-free cupcakes for the office. Vegans are everywhere, and they want to tell you about it.

The month of November celebrates all things vegan with the fourth annual Vegan Month of Food. Also wittily known as Vegan MoFo, the event takes place online, where bloggers from all over the world pledge to write about vegan food at least five times a week. The website boasts over 550 bloggers from numerous countries including the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Australia, Belgium, France, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Spain, Poland, Japan, Singapore, the Philippines, Israel, the French West Indies and South Africa. Although the bloggers may come from different locations, they all have one thing in common: a passion for vegan cooking.

The worldwide blogging event was created by Kittee Berns and Isa Chandra Moskowitz, a popular vegan cookbook author. After writing Vegan with a Vengeance in 2005, Moskowitz came up with the idea to host an online event where vegan bloggers could share their most delicious vegan recipes. Moskowitz modeled the online event after The National Novel Writing Month, and the first Vegan MoFo in 2006 turned out to be a great success. Ever since, the event has gained increasing popularity, particularly due to Moskowitz’s success with her four additional vegan cookbooks: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, Veganomicon, Vegan Brunch, and Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.

“One of the things I like about MoFo is that almost everyone sets their own goals for the month,” said Moskowitz. “I hope to use the time to write some recipes for a gluten-free vegan zine. Collectively, it is fun to swamp the Internet with amazing vegan food and to build a huge online vegan community.”

The collective Vegan MoFo group is also hoping to promote the what they see as being the true definition of veganism since the term is often misunderstood or mistaken as a synonym of vegetarianism.

“[We] believe there is only one definition of veganism, which Wikipedia does a good job of wording, ‘Veganism is a philosophy and lifestyle whose adherents seek to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Vegans endeavour not to use or consume animal products of any kind.’ Vegetarians, on the other hand, include animal products in their diet and wardrobe.”

Veganism has a special place in Victoria, with the city having numerous restaurants with vegan options. However, most places, such as Green Cuisine, are vegan-friendly but not strictly vegan. UVic’s on-campus dining can also be challenging for vegan students. Vegan MoFo recommends that students should “organize a student group and keep [veganism] active. Regular charity bake sales are an amazing way to get everyone involved, and to show how delicious vegan treats can be.”

Students who want simple, appetizing, healthy vegan meals can use a crock pot to make chili, stews or dahl.

Rice cookers are also a geat cooking tool. You can use them for other grains besides rice, and they often come with timers and can keep your food warm for hours. Other quick, inexpensive ideas include baked tofu, beans, brown rice, whole grain pasta and frozen or fresh veggies.

The creators of Vegan MoFo believe that the benefits of veganism go beyond just what one eats. Although it may take a little bit more effort, in their experience, being a vegan is worth it.

“The benefits can vary from person to person; obviously some vegans eat a very healthy diet and others do not,” said the Vegan MoFo group. “It is easy to follow the standard American Diet in a vegan way, which is not healthy.”

However, if properly followed, veganism changes one’s whole lifestyle.

“[We] think veganism becomes a lifestyle choice, but in [our] opinion, veganism is not based solely on someone’s diet. Because according to the definition, vegans seek to exclude animals from their clothing and other goods as much as possible.”

The recipes posted on the blog range from simple to complex, and some of them call for some interesting ingredients. Nevertheless, the bloggers always rave about how delicious they are. So maybe call up that vegan friend or co-worker of yours and try a vegan recipe or two. You might be so delighted that you could be signing up to blog about veganism for next year’s Vegan MoFo.

http://martlet.ca/martlet/article/blogg ... egan-mofo/

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

j-dub wrote:
Here's the piece, from my school's newspaper:

wow, does this make me cranky. i told her over and over again that i couldn't answer her questions on behalf of 700 blogs and look what she did. also, i can't wait for isa's zine!

::head explodey::

pakupaku

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:40 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Gosh, the expectations for quality of writing at the Martlet have really gone downhill since my days at UVic.

Since when is Green Cuisine not vegan?

Really? Wikipedia as a SOURCE?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita wrote:
Gosh, the expectations for quality of writing at the Martlet have really gone downhill since my days at UVic.

Since when is Green Cuisine not vegan?

Really? Wikipedia as a SOURCE?

seriously, this is such a bad article, i have half a mind to email her about it. she took some of what i said about myself, and quoted isa saying it and then put a big WE in front of it all.

day, please do not follow this lead.

pakupaku

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:23 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

It's really bad. I assumed she interviewed Isa since she has the gall to quote her. My editor eyes are exploding at the sentence structure, and I'm not even a "real" editor.

The most irritating thing is that she presents veganism as this cute little novel idea, when there is actually a large vegan community at UVic, which I'm sure Dubs can attest to.

Don't worry, Kittee! All that will come of this is hopefully some smarty-pants complaints from articulate campus vegans!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:02 am 

vijita wrote:
It's really bad. I assumed she interviewed Isa since she has the gall to quote her. My editor eyes are exploding at the sentence structure, and I'm not even a "real" editor.

The most irritating thing is that she presents veganism as this cute little novel idea, when there is actually a large vegan community at UVic, which I'm sure Dubs can attest to.

Don't worry, Kittee! All that will come of this is hopefully some smarty-pants complaints from articulate campus vegans!

Yeah, I was pretty baffled by it. And wondering if I should say something (as I know a few people on staff).

Plus, Green Cuisine is definitely vegan. I think that just proves that she checked out the website (where they call themselves vegetarian) and didn't actually go there (where they make it clear it's 100% vegan).

Dudes, if you're going to write about veganism, hows about you get a vegan to do it!?